Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Question Wirecon WDR electrical outlets

I have a Rockwood trailer and two wirecon outlets have the front plate cracked and broken. The builders just cut a hole and inserted in the wood panel no backing, very flimsy. I am thinking of replacing these with something more study and conventional as used in a house. Has anyone changed these (wirecon) outlets for something better? I believe it still has to be a self contained outlet (ie protection at back of box, from flamables).
Milkman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman2 View Post
I have a Rockwood trailer and two wirecon outlets have the front plate cracked and broken. The builders just cut a hole and inserted in the wood panel no backing, very flimsy. I am thinking of replacing these with something more study and conventional as used in a house. Has anyone changed these (wirecon) outlets for something better? I believe it still has to be a self contained outlet (ie protection at back of box, from flamables).
If the wall is deep enough just install a plastic cut in box and a standard residential outlet.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman2 View Post
You may not have room for a box as your wall is only a couple inches thick.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

The only outlet box (pictured below) that will protect you from flamables will run you a bit over $300.00 and then you will need special plugs on everything you want to use it for. OK I know thats a bit extreme but just sayin.
In reality, all you need is an “Old Work Box”. That will accept a standard duplex outlet and a standard wall plate in your favorite color.
You can even use a white outlet so you can see the darn things.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #5

They make a "remodel box" that is very thin. I will try to find a link
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

There is enough depth for a plastic box, so good idea. I priced the box and outlet at RONA for under $15.00, which is the price of a new wirecon, which will probably break again. I can get acces to the back of this one outlet thru a drawer, so plan to glue to piece of wood on back of wood panel to reinforce near outlet. For flammables I mean towels etc.. Thanks for everyones ideas.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #7

Get the shallow "old work" blue plastic box and a whatever color outlet and cover you want from any home improvement store. Under $8.00 total. The old work box has little screw driven ears that tighten up inside the wall and holds the box in place.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
Get the shallow "old work" blue plastic box and a whatever color outlet and cover you want from any home improvement store. Under $8.00 total. The old work box has little screw driven ears that tighten up inside the wall and holds the box in place.
X2^^ any home improvement store will have one, ask a sales person for it. Sometimes called a "pop-in" box
Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
X2^^ any home improvement store will have one, ask a sales person for it. Sometimes called a "pop-in" box
That would be "Cut-in box". Name comes from cutting a hole anywhere in the wall and not needing a stud to nail it to.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Wirecon WDR electrical outlets

What ever it's called, it's what I used when I replaced two of the outlets with ones that also had USB outlets in my Flagstaff.

Edit: Now with Photos!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9568.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	175084
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9569.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	175085
Old 06-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That would be "Cut-in box". Name comes from cutting a hole anywhere in the wall and not needing a stud to nail it to.
I used to be a Residential Building contractor. All my electricians called the Pop In boxes.

I suppose the colloquialisms are different in other parts of the country.

The correct name is "Old Work" box.

https://www.midlandhardware.com/4194...SABEgIgSPD_BwE
Old 06-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

Since I stayed at a HI Express last night I researched the subject intensely and after and exhaustive Google, Bing and Web Crawler search I have found the EXACT CORRECT name for the box that everbody agrees is the correct box for the OP to utilize in order to effect the necessary repair. It is called: “vetus operis conscidisti apud archa”. Final Answer.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone for your input. Some great ideas. I'll search for these plastic boxes, up here in Ontario. If I can't buy them locally, I'll try and order on line.

Thanks

Milkman
Old 06-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Got mine at the local Home Depot. This one's not exactly the same, but it's what they show online:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.r...000408040.html

The difference is the one I got was for panelling, this one seems sized for drywall. Just ask in store if you don't see one.

Tags
electric, electrical