Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

wiring AC ammeter donut on Rockwood popup with 25ft cable

Hi. Could use a little help with the best place to put the donut on my AC amp sensor. I got a 1997 Rockwood Premier 1904 that needed work. Camping ready now, but I just installed a panel to monitor AC and DC, with a relay and sensor for newly installed fans on the refrigerator fins, USBs, and some other cool stuff. My problem: the trailer has a pull-out 25 ft long cable for shore power. I have no idea how to get into the compartment, or where I could find a connection to remove and slip the AC donut on.
Also, I sure would like to see a wiring diagram or something, although apparently there are none. I would have thought it had to be on a sticker on the unit somewhere.
So, can the collective hive-mind of the forum help me out?
Art in Texas
artwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Since you have a pull out cable and not a wall connection the only place to access the single hot leg is where it connects to the power center. You may be able to get the donut in the power center with the breakers.

Post a picture of the power center and we may be able to tell you if there's any room in there.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Do you have a manufacture and part number? And like Bama Rambler said, only the hot wire goes through it, not the whole cable

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...ansformer.html
Old 12-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

Found the place to connect the donut

I pulled the wooden cover off under the dinette seat and found all that I needed. There is a converter box (AC to DC?) where the shore power cable goes in. Opened it up and everything I needed was in there. Donut on one lead, ac power to the meter using the leads that had wire nuts. All is good. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

Ac donut

I am not sure what a AC donut does or looks like, can someone make it easy for me to learn something new today?
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This might help you understand... (note: donuts and coils are the same thing although at one point he calls them meters, which they are not)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #7

Ac donut

So it is like the one that came with my end device? Thanks
Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #8

The black box that monitors electrical input and use it end device.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #9

Not end device maybe ems
Old 01-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
I am not sure what a AC donut does or looks like, can someone make it easy for me to learn something new today?
The donut is actually a current transformer. It converts the current passing through it to a much lower value that can be read by the meter. For instance it takes the 0-50 amp incoming current and reduces it to 0-1 amp which is something the meter can handle.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The donut is actually a current transformer. It converts the current passing through it to a much lower value that can be read by the meter. For instance it takes the 0-50 amp incoming current and reduces it to 0-1 amp which is something the meter can handle.
I am pretty sure that it's actually an induction ammeter, but the difference in real life is probably just my need to be pedantic.

Basically, the AC power passing through the middle of the "donut" carries with it a small magnetic field. The donut has a wire coil inside that creates voltage when exposed to that magnetic field. When we measure that voltage, we can extrapolate the amperage passing through the coil.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #12

My electrical control panel

Thought I would go ahead and show what I did for the electrical control panel. Bought a standard one off Wish (about $25, shipping by canoe from China, I think). Mounted it on the front of the sink panel, between the two doors. I also picked up a small Inkbird thermostat to measure the temp in the refrigerator coils and control some 12v PC muffin fans I installed. Replaced the lower left cigarette lighter plug with a 120v monitor (hence the amp donut post that started this all).
The left toggle switch is main 12v to all the other switches, and the right one is power to the refrigerator fan circuit. It also has 2 USB connections on the lower right. The three middle switches are available - I just need to think of some good 12v things to hook them up to. Might add a 12v pump to the sink. All the toggles are individually fused.
All in all, I really like being able to monitor and control everything, and the fan setup has really helped my refrigerator temps! Note that the temp shown is the rear coils, not inside the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	popup control panel.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	229345  

Tags
cable, rockwood, wiring