Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Wiring Diagrams

Where can I get a wiring diagram for my 2015 Rockwood model 8289WS 5th wheel?

The electrical receptacles in the main cabin are on the same circuit as the refrigerator. And we trip the break some times when the toaster, and coffee maker are plugged in and the refrigerator turns on. I would like to add a circuit and a wiring diagram would help.
Charlie.Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.Reynolds View Post

The electrical receptacles in the main cabin are on the same circuit as the refrigerator. And we trip the break some times when the toaster, and coffee maker are plugged in and the refrigerator turns on. I would like to add a circuit and a wiring diagram would help.
I'm sorry to tell you that you'll never have a wiring diagram of a Forest River (or other) unit unless/until you draw one yourself. I don't remember your question every having a good answer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

you will never find a diagram. You don't need one to add an outlet anyhow. You obviously know a little about electrical if you are considering this. Just make it happen. You can't do any worse than the manufacturer
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Well, he needs/wants another breaker so that's a bit trickier but there should be space in his converter center to do that. Getting the wire routed is going to be a different story.

I'll echo the wire diagram comments. Almost spit up my coffee when I read that. Heck, they don't even have one at the factory and I kinda doubt if any two trailers have ever been wired the same. I actually think they go out of their way to do that as even a chimp learns to repeat after a few tries but these guys...

If I worked as a quality manager for any RV manufacturer I would go crazy making sure that each trailer was built correctly and the same as the last. Doing that makes for better everything including happier employees and happier customers and fewer problems in the field. No excuse.

End rant.
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.Reynolds View Post

I am assuming (I hate that word in offering advice) that you have a 50 amp RV?

There possibly should be space to add another breaker or you may have to do a little modification.

Just a little heads up, by electrical and RV manufacturers codes, they can only have so many branch circuits. I think it is 5 on a 30 amp and 12 on a 50 amp, but don't quote me on that for sure, as that's coming from memory and it ain't so hot.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

Right or wrong, I've tapped off the circuit that the central vac is on (if you have one). On my unit, it is on it's own breaker. We don't use the vac often enough to conflict with anything.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

FR has documentation !

The problem is RV owners who get on a forum and tell others that there is no documentation. This is done with good intentions but is very misleading and wrong.

Like any manufacture they have to provide documentation to their production staff. If you truly believe that FR does not have documentation then I suggest you should never have purchased a FR Product.

We pay the cost when the dealers have to use the trail and error methods to fix our units, as well as the fact that we, end up taking our units to a dealer because we have no documentation ourselves.

I wrote the following and subsequently received a call from the George Town electrical department asking what documentation I needed, which i received later.

Peter J. Liegl
President
Forest River Inc.
Corporate Office
PO Box 3030
55740 County Road One
Elkhart, IN 46515-3030

Please confirm this address before writing , the President’s address may have changed.

Do not take no for an answer, they have documentation
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
FR has documentation !

The problem is RV owners who get on a forum and tell others that there is no documentation. This is done with good intentions but is very misleading and wrong.

Like any manufacture they have to provide documentation to their production staff. If you truly believe that FR does not have documentation then I suggest you should never have purchased a FR Product.

We pay the cost when the dealers have to use the trail and error methods to fix our units, as well as the fact that we, end up taking our units to a dealer because we have no documentation ourselves.

I wrote the following and subsequently received a call from the George Town electrical department asking what documentation I needed, which i received later.

Peter J. Liegl
President
Forest River Inc.
Corporate Office
PO Box 3030
55740 County Road One
Elkhart, IN 46515-3030

Please confirm this address before writing , the President’s address may have changed.

Do not take no for an answer, they have documentation
Get me a wiring diagram for a 2015 columbus 320rs please.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #9

Turbs

What are you trying to say ?
- you are not able to write FR
- FR does not have documentation
- I did not receive documentation from FR like I indicated
Old 10-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #10

I have a prime time fifth wheel and I am an electrician.
When I emailed the factory for a wiring diagram they told me that they don't exist.
They are either lying or running a very inefficient and unorganized factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #11

Samaka

I encountered the same thing when I contacted the FR Rep's
Identified on the FR forum or Internet . After contacting the President the
situation or story changed. I really do not understand FR's position
on providing this information. I had Winebago MH before and had no problem
obtaining electrical schematics. There was fee but I feel saved money
In the long run. I'm sure many of the FR owners would gladly pay
For this I formation

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

You are correct: I don't KNOW whether or not the docs exist. I do know that getting them is difficult. I've also seen the spaghetti wiring that is done. That is more what I am commenting on. I also believe, based on experience, that even if you have the docs your "as built" scenario is likely somewhat different anyway, especially as it relates to wire routing and that is more what you need than what circuit is on what fuse/breaker. If the panel is labeled correctly you have that info. How the wire gets there you don't have.

But we have digressed. The original intent is to split an outlet to another circuit to avoid blowing a breaker. That will involve either putting in another outlet wired to another breaker, or rewiring an existing outlet to another circuit. In either event one needs to know where the wires are. If it were me, and there is room in the converter for another breaker and I can figure away to install and wire another outlet, that's the route I would take. Unless I can easily see the wire run to an outlet on another circuit that I can easily tap into. And I'm thinking that's hard...
Old 10-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #13

whether or not it exists, you can look at the wiring and see that the employees either can't read, can't follow instructions, or don't care.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #14

Maybe they figure this is one job left in the USA that can't be shipped overseas...

Tags
diagram, wiring