Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 18TO USB outlet question

I’m sure this has been answered before; forgive me, I couldn’t find an answer. I’ve seen that others have had issues with their usb outlets overheating, which mine also do. My question is does anyone know why, is it a wire gauge issue or a plug issue. I”m not an electrical expert, I know don’t shove paper clips in outlets and don’t accidentally dead short a car battery, but I can replace plugs and run wire... lol
Thank you all in advance!
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Team

If I remember correctly, the overheating problem was a converter issue in the plug.

The best thing to do is to change out the plug.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 AM   #3

Thanks Bama, I’ll have to add it to my to do list.
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Are the outlets used in an RV the same as a house? Can I go to Home Depot and buy USB outlets to use in my camper?
Dan0753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0753 View Post
Are the outlets used in an RV the same as a house? Can I go to Home Depot and buy USB outlets to use in my camper?
Not exactly, Some outlets in an RV are residential style outlets and are installed in a box. However, most outlets are speed outlets. that means that they have their own protection (clip on back cover), so in order to replace them with standard residential outlets you need to buy and install boxes. The good news is that the big box stores sell shallow boxes that will work in and RV. If you want to change some (or all) of your receptacles just get the receptacles and boxes and change them out.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0753 View Post
Those likely will run from 120V. Better off installing some that operate off 12V.

I use these. Can supply over 2A on each outlet. Most of the ones you see can not supply enough current for laptops or newer phones.

https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-1045-...er_p_4757.html
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup