Old 06-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

Xantrex prowatt sw 2000 error codes

Need some help. Inverter keeps beeping and has a BAD!! Burnt electrical smell. No changes in any wiring. Been on 15a shore power for the fridge for a month. Unhooked power to move the camper and noticed the beeping. Shows an error code of e04 when 110v is hooked up ( going to fridge), E01 when I unplug the output 110v. I have 12.7v on the input cables. Eo4 comes on and shows 11.7v. E01 shows 12.4v. In the manual E01 is under voltage, E04 is over temperature. Hooked the truck up and have 13v at input and still get alarms plus it dims the 12v light in the front compartment while itís coming on.

Only thing I can think of is I flushed the water heater out last week and replaced the anode rod, and decided to ohm out the element while I was there. I unhooked shore power, and didnít push the inside button for the inverter but as was checking for power on the element I shorted across the leads and heard a bump from the front of the camper. I heard this before when I accidentally unplug shore power.

Iím scared I toasted my inverter. Any help would be appreciated.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #2

When I hooked up shore power and turned it on it flashes between 13.8v and 0.00 and has a funny sound, hard to describe.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbare31 View Post
Need some help. Inverter keeps beeping and has a BAD!! Burnt electrical smell. No changes in any wiring. Been on 15a shore power for the fridge for a month. Unhooked power to move the camper and noticed the beeping. Shows an error code of e04 when 110v is hooked up ( going to fridge), E01 when I unplug the output 110v. I have 12.7v on the input cables. Eo4 comes on and shows 11.7v. E01 shows 12.4v. In the manual E01 is under voltage, E04 is over temperature. Hooked the truck up and have 13v at input and still get alarms plus it dims the 12v light in the front compartment while itís coming on.

Only thing I can think of is I flushed the water heater out last week and replaced the anode rod, and decided to ohm out the element while I was there. I unhooked shore power, and didnít push the inside button for the inverter but as was checking for power on the element I shorted across the leads and heard a bump from the front of the camper. I heard this before when I accidentally unplug shore power.

Iím scared I toasted my inverter. Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like you need to call Xantrex support. I also wonder if that 'bump' was a blown fuse or circuit breaker.

I installed a Samlex EVO inverter/charger and I call them whenever I have a question.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #4

Bad inverter

Talked to a knowledgeable electronics friend, bad inverter. Replaced it and seems to be working good. Still puzzled as to what happened. He said when I arced across the leads on my heating element it may have had an open switch in the inverter and discharged a capacitor and burned up something inside it. He wants to take apart and check it out. May have had an underlying problem with the Inverter. Does anybody else notice a pretty strong bump from the transfer switch when shore power is plugged in?

Hereís a funny side note: Older friend once told me,
ď You do know what they make electronic components out of?, I responded, not really what is it?, He said SMOKE, when you let all the smoke out, it wonít work anymoreĒ. 😝
Old 04-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
hge

Smile

hi rbare, I have the same Xantrex sw2000 with what sounds like the exact same problem that you had with yours.

I'd connect it to a load like a mini-fridge and it would start beeping repeatedly while flashing e04 on the display so that I had to turn it off.

However, when I plugged a very small load to it like a lamp it would work fine for a little while then it would start making a strange sound that I can't really describe which I'm guessing is the same sound that you were hearing as well.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours or get it repaired?

Thanks
hge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

Negative

I spent $600 on a new one and the old one is in a box on the shelf. Need to get it looked at but I havenít had time to. We were leaving very shortly for a trip so I didnít have a choice.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
hge

I see. I'm going to take mine in to a marine shop that repairs inverters and report back what I find out.
hge is offline   Reply With Quote