Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #1

Xantrex ProWatt SW2000 Inverter - Error Code E10

2018 Cardinal 3350RL

I have a Factory installed ProWatt SW2000 Inverter. I’m getting the Error Code E10. Which the manual says is a “short circuit or Output circuit overheat”.

The Inverter runs fine, despite the error code.
Troubleshooting: I disconnected the plug which feed power to the cabin. Connected an extension code to the Inverter, and plugged a WiFi router into the extension cord (outside the RV). This eliminates a short circuit possibility in the RV. Then disconnected all outlets on the Inverter and still have the Error Code.

Just curious if anyone has seen this before. From what I’ve read, this Error Code should have disabled the Inverter. But as I said, it’s working fine for now.
Daniellekristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

if you are getting an error code with nothing plugged into the inverter it sounds like something wrong with the inverter itself. being a 2018 it should be under warranty. i'd contact the dealer and / or call xantrex support. it sure sounds like this justifies a full replacement of the inverter. it's more a question of whether you want the dealer to do it or if you want to do it yourself.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I called the manufacturer tech support line. They were surprised that it was still operational as E10 Error Code is supposed to power down the Inverter.
They instructed me to remove the Battery positive inlet wire for 30 minutes. That should reset Inverter and remove error codes until another error occurs.
I will purchase a back-up Inverter this weekend. I dry-camp a large portion of the time. And carry around $700 in food in my fridge and freezer. I’ll just need to do some research on the best 1500 watt Sine-Wave Inverter for less than $300. This one is $750.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

what about them replacing the inverter? you have now mentioned two things wrong with it: the original error code e10. and that it does not shut off when the error code appears. you've got there attention. there should be no problem getting a replacement sent.

just another question. what type of battery bank do you have that lets you dry camp with a residential refrigerator / freezer?
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #5

Hi,

I had a somewhat similar problem with that same Xantrex model shortly after I started using it.

Their customer support staff worked very well with me -- first in troubleshooting and then in quickly providing a replacement to me down in Quartzsite. Good folks!

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

Xantrex said they would replace the Inverter if I cannot get the error code to clear after disconnecting from the battery for 30 minutes.
I’m afraid to play with it while boondocking (Craggy Wash BLM land in Lake Havasu City, AZ).
I’ll do a hard reset once I get to Vegas tomorrow and I’m on shorepower for 4 days. So no issue if I need a replacement before dry-camping again.

I will post my results on here in a few days.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

A hard-reset (disconnected the positive DC) for 30 minutes. Error code disappeared.
Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #8

Hi Daniel,

Hope that is a permanent fix for you.

Mine started out with an odd code, reset just like yours, but didn't put out full power for several use cycles, and then died completely.

So keep an eye on it for a while.

Rich Phillips
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #9

The factory install does not meet specs. The manual says that on a two battery system, the positive DC inlet wire to the Inverter is supposed to come from one batteries. And all charge wires (solar or converter) should connect the the other battery. This is to “dampen” the voltage which the Inverter sees. Factory install has solar & converter coming directly into the Inverter. Then excess going to the batteries.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #10

Hi,

Interesting...

I did my own install -- two Trojan T-105s feeding the inverter directly, with a separate line into the batteries from my solar panels through a Trimetric controller. After I replaced the dead inverter (for a totally different reason), most of the problems went away.

But interestingly, the new inverter would still go into overload at times --mostly mid-day. Turned out, it was because my Trimetric controller was putting more voltage into the system than the inverter wanted to see. The battery evidently didn't dampen it enough -- the inverter was still seeing the higher input voltage.

The cure was to lightly reprogram the Trimetric, dropping its max voltage setting to 0.1 volt below the Xantrex upper voltage limit.

Might not ever impact you, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Rich

Tags
inverter