Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #21
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
You don't have to 'hope', as the adapter has no limitations, but their own RV's Main Panel's primary 30amp breaker WILL, which is why you have no concern.

get the adapter

let them 'plug in'

enjoy!
Oh, well, then, why do they bother to put breakers on the 30-amp outlets on pedestals? Just let your camper handle that, right?
Old 06-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #22

response to: "Oh, well, then, why do they bother to put breakers on the 30-amp outlets on pedestals? Just let your camper handle that, right?"

yes, that's right, and there are actually MANY campgrounds that don't have individual breakers at every site - just a 30amp outlet.

The breaker that you normally see at a campground or rv park Power Pedestal is simply for convenience, not for 'protection'. If your RV wants to use more 'amperage' than the outlet can handle, it's upstream breaker will trip, REGARDLESS of whether that breaker is in the Power Pedestal you are plugging into, or at a far away Main Panel for the campground. The outlet WILL have a breaker, you just may not see it, or have access to it.

and YES, your own RV's Main Breaker is designed to be YOUR protection from over amperage from YOUR usage within your RV - it's not up to the campground to do that.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #23
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
response to: "Oh, well, then, why do they bother to put breakers on the 30-amp outlets on pedestals? Just let your camper handle that, right?"

yes, that's right, and there are actually MANY campgrounds that don't have individual breakers at every site - just a 30amp outlet.

The breaker that you normally see at a campground or rv park Power Pedestal is simply for convenience, not for 'protection'. If your RV wants to use more 'amperage' than the outlet can handle, it's upstream breaker will trip, REGARDLESS of whether that breaker is in the Power Pedestal you are plugging into, or at a far away Main Panel for the campground. The outlet WILL have a breaker, you just may not see it, or have access to it.

and YES, your own RV's Main Breaker is designed to be YOUR protection from over amperage from YOUR usage within your RV - it's not up to the campground to do that.
Whatever motive you ascribe to the 30-amp breaker, as long as it is functional, it *is* protective. I personally would not plug into a pedestal that did not have a 30-amp breaker. I have yet to encounter one. I can’t imagine one passing code.

Analogy: There are generally four safety rules for firearms. Following any one of the four absolutely and without fail would provide sufficient protection. I still follow all four.

I require a 30-amp breaker on any outlet labeled 30 amps. Such advocacy is not the equivalent of misinformation about the amperage of each leg of a 50-amp outlet.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #24

a 30amp breaker does not mean that you are automatically somehow 'protected', it simply is a device that is 'supposed' to trip, otherwise 'switch off', the power for a circuit, such as to the outlet.

Your own protection is within your own RV - the Main Breaker in your electrical panel is it. It is there to protect YOU, not the campground, or any outlet you are plugged into.

But, there's also sometimes a misunderstanding, in general, of how 'power' works. It is not a 'one way street' as some might imagine, especially when you are plugging your 30amp RV into a 50amp outlet.
Some may think that the 50amp outlet is going to automatically somehow 'blow up' or 'damage' their 30amp RV, but that's not the case. Not at all.
Only what YOU use within your RV will determine how much 'power' is coming into your RV, not the source that you are plugged into.
Regardless of whether you plug into a 15 or 20amp household outlet, a specific 30amp RV outlet, or a larger 50amp 240v RV outlet, the 'power' is exactly the same - 120volts.
By using the adapter to do this, the adapter is simply 'rewiring' the connections so that the flow of electricity, or amperage, is consistent with what you are needing, allowing anyone with any 'size' electrical RV can make use of any 'size' of power outlet - it happens everyday all over the country in all sorts of situations, and to no one's detriment.

If you have a 30amp RV, with 3 prongs on the Shore Cord, and want to plug into a 50amp 240v 4-prong outlet, you can, with an adapter. The adapter simply takes the 3-prong RV Shore Cord male end and converts it to a 4-prong male adapter end that can then plug into that larger outlet. The 30amp RV does not 'receive' 240v service, but only 120v, just like when it's plugged into a typical 30amp RV outlet.
How does that work? Well, you are basically just converting the male end to be able to plug into the outlet, and you are also at the same time only contacting ONE of the 50amp outlet's hot wires....so, only 120v power is flowing to the RV.
Now, if you are concerned that the outlet is designed to provide up to 50amps from it's breaker, then you are correct, but also should not be concerned, since your own RV, and it's 30amp Main Breaker, is never going to allow you to use anything over 30amps, period.
If a breaker is in the wiring 'somewhere' along the way, it doesn't matter if it's right at the Power Pole where you are plugging in, which is more common, whether it's somewhere else, such as at a campground's Main Panel, or if the only one you 'see' is the one right in your OWN camper. It matters not, as long as you have one.

Travel, plug in, enjoy! : ) It's all good.

[[by the way, as a side note about 'power', we're parked at a Truck Shop, waiting for service on Monday morning. We only have access to a GFCI 'regular' outside outlet. I've used my 50amp 4-wire shore cord, with a 30amp 3-wire adapter, to a 15amp 3-wire 'household outlet' adapter, to make use of their power. I'm running my roof air conditioner on a hot day, 4 table fans, the satellite receiver, the 120v residential fridge, device and computer chargers, and even a trickle charge from the battery charger, all with no issues.]]
Old 06-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #25
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
a 30amp breaker does not mean that you are automatically somehow 'protected', it simply is a device that is 'supposed' to trip, otherwise 'switch off', the power for a circuit, such as to the outlet.

Your own protection is within your own RV - the Main Breaker in your electrical panel is it. It is there to protect YOU, not the campground, or any outlet you are plugged into.

But, there's also sometimes a misunderstanding, in general, of how 'power' works. It is not a 'one way street' as some might imagine, especially when you are plugging your 30amp RV into a 50amp outlet.
Some may think that the 50amp outlet is going to automatically somehow 'blow up' or 'damage' their 30amp RV, but that's not the case. Not at all.
Only what YOU use within your RV will determine how much 'power' is coming into your RV, not the source that you are plugged into.
Regardless of whether you plug into a 15 or 20amp household outlet, a specific 30amp RV outlet, or a larger 50amp 240v RV outlet, the 'power' is exactly the same - 120volts.
By using the adapter to do this, the adapter is simply 'rewiring' the connections so that the flow of electricity, or amperage, is consistent with what you are needing, allowing anyone with any 'size' electrical RV can make use of any 'size' of power outlet - it happens everyday all over the country in all sorts of situations, and to no one's detriment.

If you have a 30amp RV, with 3 prongs on the Shore Cord, and want to plug into a 50amp 240v 4-prong outlet, you can, with an adapter. The adapter simply takes the 3-prong RV Shore Cord male end and converts it to a 4-prong male adapter end that can then plug into that larger outlet. The 30amp RV does not 'receive' 240v service, but only 120v, just like when it's plugged into a typical 30amp RV outlet.
How does that work? Well, you are basically just converting the male end to be able to plug into the outlet, and you are also at the same time only contacting ONE of the 50amp outlet's hot wires....so, only 120v power is flowing to the RV.
Now, if you are concerned that the outlet is designed to provide up to 50amps from it's breaker, then you are correct, but also should not be concerned, since your own RV, and it's 30amp Main Breaker, is never going to allow you to use anything over 30amps, period.
If a breaker is in the wiring 'somewhere' along the way, it doesn't matter if it's right at the Power Pole where you are plugging in, which is more common, whether it's somewhere else, such as at a campground's Main Panel, or if the only one you 'see' is the one right in your OWN camper. It matters not, as long as you have one.

Travel, plug in, enjoy! : ) It's all good.
Any breakers along the path, as long as they are functional, will provide protection.

Of course, breakers that do not function properly will not provide the rated protection.

I am saying that, if there is a 30-amp outlet, there should be protection that would not allow 50 amps from a 50-amp supply to pass through. You may have different standards. More power to you. Literally.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #26

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I am saying that, if there is a 30-amp outlet, there should be protection that would not allow 50 amps from a 50-amp supply to pass through...

I think this is where you are losing us. It does not matter what size breaker that the outlet's circuit is on when it comes to your RV, as your OWN Rv's Main Breaker, which is 30amps, will control how much amperage you are able to use. That is your protection, period.

But, having said that, there IS a breaker upstream, but the 'size' of that breaker does not have ANY impact on how much YOU are using, since there is no 'mysterious' flow of over-electricity possible, it's only controlled by what YOU are using within the RV.

With that being said, and not to be argumentative, it's simply a fact that the RV's breaker is the protection that you are concerned with, whether you can 'see' another breaker somewhere else, or not. There are many campgrounds where the 30amp outlet is the only thing you 'see' and have access to. You may have never come across one, but they DO have a 30amp breaker upstream, no matter 'where' it is - it's all the same, it's just not as 'convenient' since you can't easily see or access it.
I do understand that many of us like to trip OFF a campground breaker before we plug in, which is usually a good idea, but even without a breaker that you have access to, you can always trip OFF your RV's main breaker to accomplish exactly the same thing.

Now, if the breaker of concern, that you see and have access to, is a 50amp 240v breaker, and you are using an adapter to plug into that 50amp outlet, the only 'power' that will be blowing, or AMPERAGE, is what your RV is asking for, which ultimately is controlled by IT'S own 30amp breaker. There is no 'downside' or 'unprotected' part of this equation.

But, it sounds like you have some concerns, regardless, and that's o.k. We all have to do what makes us sleep best at night. I certainly may have some reservations about other things that other RVrs do on a regular basis - that's just the nature of 'camping' - it's not a 'regulated' or 'coded' situation as most might assume. Older campgrounds that are grandfathered in, or in rural areas or places where there are no 'codes', can certainly be found to have electrical scenarios that might not seem 'normal' or even 'safe' for some campers. That's o.k., we all have those moments when we don't want to take that 'risk'.

It's all good!
Old 06-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #27

each 30amp pedestal DOES have a breaker, you just may not be able to see it, or have access to it... that's all.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #28
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
each 30amp pedestal DOES have a breaker, you just may not be able to see it, or have access to it... that's all.
Another poster, one who has been castigating my opinion as misinformation, has stated that some do not. I responded that every pedestal I have encountered has had the 30-amp breaker. I personally would never hook to a pedestal that did not have one that I could see—and throw.

My point was that the opinion contrary to mine would be the equivalent of stating that pedestals do not need a 30-amp breaker if you have one in your RV. I would disagree with such an opinion, just as I disagree with the efficacy of a 50-amp to 30-amp adapter of any kind that would not, as part of its design, prevent more than 30 amps from reaching the receptacle designated as 30 amps.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #29

I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Here is an example of one they make.

I won’t speak to the efficacy of it. I’ll leave that to the experts.

I just know that I wouldn’t rely on this $30 piece.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WB5LBY...osi&th=1&psc=1
I would. There's nothing wrong with plugging an appliance into a circuit that has more current capacity than required. You do this every day.

A table lamp is designed for a circuit that can deliver up to 15 amps. But most houses today are wired to deliver up to 20 amps at each outlet. This is not a problem.

Similarly, you could plug two RVs that each draw a maximum of 30 amps each into a single outlet designed to deliver two circuits of 50 amps each. Each RV would never actually draw more than 30 amps because the 30 amp main breaker in the RV would trip if it were attempted.

Note that the link you posted states "Designed to OSHA standards for indoor/outdoor use and certified under the Intertek ETL listing." which suggests that it meets standards.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 06-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #30

this isn't to join in with the "tit for tat" over this issue, but to say I had similar concerns about my 30A/15A adapters, both a "Y" and a single, .... I use them to bring extra power into the camper by way of extension cord/cords to take some amps off the 30A system, such as electric heaters, the ac, and have also used them with the water heater, ... once that power is inside the camper, it can be used in any number of ways, and in any way that it is used, that amperage is removed from the 30A system, .... and it works great, .... I had used them "as is" for a while and then realized, there is NO protection for that 15/20A wire or any device that is plugged into it down stream when it's power is coming thru a 30A(or with an adapter, a 50A) breaker, ... a couple of years ago when I first posted my pics and reasoning for what I had done, I was surprised at the number of replies from some of the "expert electricians" who declared that "sure there is protection in that device, they wouldn't sell it that way if there wasn't", but none of them could show me where that protective device(breaker, inline fuse, anything) is, ... I'm not a electrician by trade, and I only fool with electric to the extend that I am comfortable with doing so, but I did enjoy a 42yr career as a maintenance machinist, .... but you don't have to be a "rocket scientist" to know that adapter does NOT provide 20A protection for that #12 wire, when it is plugged into a 30A outlet, .... as you can see, my fix was to install a 20A inline fuse to protect each of the #12 wires, ... I'm happy, and now convinced there is protection now, that wasn't there before, ... happy and safe camping, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0784 - Copy.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	232572  

Old 06-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #31

response: "I personally would never hook to a pedestal that did not have one that I could see—and throw...
...I disagree with the efficacy of a 50-amp to 30-amp adapter of any kind that would not, as part of its design, prevent more than 30 amps from reaching the receptacle designated as 30 amps."

while you can certainly decide to not 'like' a campground outlet which has no 'readily seen' or 'convenient' breaker that you can have access to, it doesn't change any 'safety' or 'protection' factor, electricity wise. A breaker does it's job not matter whether we can see it or not, or whether it's the one in your RV or the one somewhere in the campground.

The idea that an 'unseen' campground breaker means that there somehow is 'not' one is incorrect, or you may have misunderstood a comment concerning that. The reality, though, even IF there were somehow 'not' one upstream, your OWN RV's Main 30amp Breaker is your protection. You may not 'like' that, but that's how electricity works, whether or not you want to be 'comfortable' with that equation. You are not alone, but some of the rest of us who have had so much experience in many, many differing electrical situations see it differently.

I'm plugged into a commercial building's outside GFCI breaker right at this moment, enjoying air conditioning, watching tv, etc. I cannot 'SEE' the outlet's breaker. I don't have ACCESS to the outlet's breaker. And, if I happen to 'trip' the outlet's breaker, I will be in 'tough luck' to power. If, though, my own 'main breaker' trips, or one of my 'individual' breakers trips, I can certainly do something about that. Either way, I am protected. Period.

Have FUN!
Old 06-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #32

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
... I had similar concerns about my 30A/15A adapters, both a "Y" and a single, .... I use them to bring extra power into the camper by way of extension cord/cords to take some amps off the 30A system, such as electric heaters, the ac, and have also used them with the water heater, ... once that power is inside the camper, it can be used in any number of ways, and in any way that it is used, that amperage is removed from the 30A system, .... and it works great,
so, let me jump into this conversation, also, as I see that you are actually talking about something a little 'different' than the initial conversation here...

you are using a additional 30amp outlet, at a private site, or campground, to bring in a 'additional' 120v power supply to 'extra' needs within your 50amp or 30amp coach, which is ALREADY attached to a 30amp or 50amp outlet on it's own, right?

if so, the 'adapter' in question, which adapts 'down' the 30amp outlet to serve a 15 or 20amp extension cord, or anything that plugs into a 120v 'household' outlet, should be used 'only' for those amperage needs. When you adapt down like this, the 'weak' point in question might be the extension cord, whether it's rated properly for 15 or 20amp amperage, etc. And, since the devices plugged into it aren't own their 'own' breaker circuit, there might be a 'fear' that 'too much' amperage might flow, causing an issue.
I think the fear is overblown, though the 'possibility' is there. There is, though, a big cavern between 'possible' and the more common 'probable'. If you have 'fears' about electricity, then you will side with 'it's possible for the power to be 'too much' for this extension cord!'. If you are comfortable with how electricity works, and you are using the proper size extension cord for your amperage needs, whether large or small, you will probably then side with the 'probable', and use the adapter as needed, with no 'concerns'. It's simply doing what it's designed to do.

If you 'feel' the need for an inline fuse or breaker, do it. I have an extension cord, on a reel, which has it's own 'built in' 15amp breaker/lighted switch. If I use 'too much' amperage, it will 'trip' and I will lose power to what is plugged into it. it does not control WHAT I plug into it, but only if one or more of those combined amperage draws are more than the breaker is allowed to provide, just like your inline fuse or breaker.
Now, I don't actually USE that extension cord because I've found that it can trip to easily/quickly/premature, in some situations where I know I'm not exceeding the capacity of the downstream 15amp outlet, which may actually have a 20amp breaker, but every situation can be slightly different.
If I don't use that extension cord, though, I'm not very concerned about the extension cord itself, as it is OUTSIDE, and not contained within my RV, even IF something where to 'happen'.
If you have an extension cord of the correct size/gauge, you should have little concern about these adapters, in this situation you are using them for.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #33

I have a splitter that converts a 50 amp 240 volt plug to 2 120 volt plugs. You can check this with your multi meter.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #34

Quote:
... my fix was to install a 20A inline fuse to protect each of the #12 wires, ...
Can you provide a link to the fuses?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

Old 06-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #35

Exclamation My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyDogMom View Post
Probably a stupid question, but...

Can you use a Y Power Cord Adapter (1 50 amp male to 2 30 amp female) to connect 2 campers to one outlet? I'm betting someone here has an answer to that.
After 30+ years in the electrical field and 20+ years as an RV owner. I would say that Yes the adapters that others have posted will work. But you may find that If you have a power pedestal with 50A/30A/20A outlets, This is normally set up from a single 2 pole 50 Amp breaker. That being said YES feeding 2 campers with 30 Amp 120 Volt would work without tripping the breaker. (The individual 1 pole 30A "Main" breakers in each camper would provide the over current protection that you need). However if you use that adapter for 2 campers AND the 30 Amp outlet you may or may not have any issue with the 2 pole 50 Amp breaker feeding the pedestal. If all 3 campers have their air conditioners running you'll possibly have an issue. But it's a gamble either way. Good luck
Old 06-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Can you provide a link to the fuses?
got the fuse holders from local Lowes, mine came with 20A fuses, .. got the project boxes from Amazon.com

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cooper-Buss...g-Fuse/3138835

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #37

Fusing

If you're really concerned about fusing to 20 amps on each branch, you could simply use one of these on each side. They seem to include a 20 amp circuit breaker.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 06-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If you're really concerned about fusing to 20 amps on each branch, you could simply use one of these on each side. They seem to include a 20 amp circuit breaker.
if you're referring to my post, pic, and what I did, ... thanks, but no thanks, I prefer what I did and how I did it, ... I'm happy knowing(and can show) the extension cords I use that are plugged into my 30A adapter are protected, ... but that's just me, you use that power strip if it makes you feel better, but I'll stay with what I've got, ....

Old 06-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #39

Quote:
this isn't to join in with the "tit for tat" over this issue, but to say I had similar concerns about my 30A/15A adapters, both a "Y" and a single, .... I use them to bring extra power into the camper by way of extension cord/cords to take some amps off the 30A system, such as electric heaters, the ac, and have also used them with the water heater, ... once that power is inside the camper, it can be used in any number of ways, and in any way that it is used, that amperage is removed from the 30A system, .... and it works great, .... I had used them "as is" for a while and then realized, there is NO protection for that 15/20A wire or any device that is plugged into it down stream when it's power is coming thru a 30A(or with an adapter, a 50A) breaker, ... a couple of years ago when I first posted my pics and reasoning for what I had done, I was surprised at the number of replies from some of the "expert electricians" who declared that "sure there is protection in that device, they wouldn't sell it that way if there wasn't", but none of them could show me where that protective device(breaker, inline fuse, anything) is, ... I'm not a electrician by trade, and I only fool with electric to the extend that I am comfortable with doing so, but I did enjoy a 42yr career as a maintenance machinist, .... but you don't have to be a "rocket scientist" to know that adapter does NOT provide 20A protection for that #12 wire, when it is plugged into a 30A outlet, .... as you can see, my fix was to install a 20A inline fuse to protect each of the #12 wires, ... I'm happy, and now convinced there is protection now, that wasn't there before, ... happy and safe camping, ...
I believe awg 12 is good for over 40amps in free air (not bundled) and a short run. Maybe that's what they were meaning? Don't know about your drop cords and if you bypassed those items you mentioned circuit breakers. There has to be at least a protective device at the origination of the 30amps. I'm just throwing this out there but not for continued conversation. Hard to visualize your interconnects and I may be completely off base here. If so, this is a moot point.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #40
Site Team

The site team is closing this thread for review

EDIT: Thread has been cleaned up of posts that didn't adhere to the site guidelines or referred to those posts. and is being reopened.

As per our guidelines which are there to keep threads helpful, informative, and moving forward

Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
power