Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Zamp solar hookup issues

We purchased a Zamp Solar panel. It works fine if we hook it directly to the battery. But we can’t get it to work using the factory installed Zamp ready port. Is there a switch or fuse somewhere? The trailer is a Rockwood Windjammer 3029,if that makes a difference.
Mathteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

Look by the battery box area you may find the wires for the solar were not connected to the battery.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #3

Sea dog, this was one of the first things we checked. We found a pigtail we can buy to use to hook up to the battery without taking off the top of the battery box. A temporary fix until the rally in Goshen. It is just irritating because I probably would have made a different brand purchase had the camper not been “Zamp ready”!
Mathteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathteacher View Post
Sea dog, this was one of the first things we checked. We found a pigtail we can buy to use to hook up to the battery without taking off the top of the battery box. A temporary fix until the rally in Goshen. It is just irritating because I probably would have made a different brand purchase had the camper not been “Zamp ready”!
...you fell into the advertising scheme behind the whole thing - Zamp 'wants' you to think that you must purchase their panels in order to use solar with this RV.... but it's just a corporate partnership between the rv manufacturer and them - giving the rv manufacturer a 'sales tool', and the solar manufacturer a way to increase solar panel sales to those who might otherwise not spend that type of money on 'their' solar system.

Not that anything is 'wrong', it's done often in all industries, but just the confusion of what 'solar ready' even means is a little misleading. 'Plug and Play' might be a better term, but ONLY if the wiring actually runs to and is attached TO the batteries, from the plug!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

I do believe you need to hook up the "solar ready" wires to a charge controller (which you have to purchase) then run wires from the charge controller to the batteries.
Zamp "solar ready" means there is a port connected to some wire that goes to point A and terminates. You need to complete the set up yourself.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #6

right, and I believe they should, due to 'truth in advertising', rename this 'Almost Solar Ready'!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #7

The only thing that is solar in a ZAMP equipped RV is the word solar.

Seriously, whatever wiring that comes with it is usually to think to carry any effective current without huge voltage losses.

On top of that ZAMP proprietary connector plugs are reverse polarity which confuses many people.

I don't know what is a bigger lie, zamp solar or a 4 season ready camper.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

Zamp polarity

Do we have to use Zamp brand? They are very expensive. Will any brand work?

I read somewhere where the wires are switched with Zamp and polarity is reversed on all but ZAMP. Is this true?

Thanks. Don't want to fry the system.

So 150 is enough for the average camper? I have a 50 amp system and realize I cannot run much, but it would help in power outages.

Isn't it cheaper to buy a generator dual fuel?

Thanks for the feedback.
peetersjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #9

Any solar will work but if it is not Zamp you will need to buy an adapter to reverse polarity before you can use another brand. I did it myself and not very hard. PM me if you want a detailed explanation.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Oh My! Looks like we need to separate the wheat from the chaff.
I posted pictures for those who like to see how.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1798988

Additionally, there are two types of “solar ready”. One for portables which is the plug on the side and one for rooftop which is wired from a location for a charge controller to a location topside for the PV wiring to exit to the panels. There are a few units that have both.

Tags
solar