Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
TsnTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Outskirts of Austin
Posts: 160
Zamp Solar pre-wiring question

I have a new Rockwood 2504s which is pre-wired for one of the Zamp solar panel kits. The only visible component to this is the externally mounted plug and I'm wondering what might be already installed if anything between this plug and the battery besides a couple of wires. Are there any other components related to the charging system? i.e. fuses, charge controller, etc.
__________________
2016 Rockwood 2504s
2016 Chevy 2500HD
TsnTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Member
 
friendofacatahoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 87
No charge controller. Two wires which on ours does not go directly to the battery, goes to the junction box first and will not charge unless battery switch is on so no good for using as a tender. No visible fuses.

Ours was also wired opposite of a standard two prong plug from our existing portable solar combo but so was our exhaust fan lol.
friendofacatahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dmchapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sierra Nevada foothills
Posts: 236
Correct. The Zamp plug is wired reverse polarity. I wired my Renogy directly to the battery with the controller in a front storage compartment. Haven't figured out a use for the Zamp plug yet. Maybe I'll plug my 12V Christmas decorations into it next Winter.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TsnTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Outskirts of Austin
Posts: 160
Thanks for the input, I've been looking at the Renogy and would also make a direct battery connection.
__________________
2016 Rockwood 2504s
2016 Chevy 2500HD
TsnTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 99
I too have a Renogy solar suitcase solar panel set. I use the Zamp wiring. It is very convenient. I think Zamp purposely wires their setup opposite the usual polarity so they can put on the sticker that says you must use Zamp only. The solution is simple. The output cable from the Renogy can simply be connected to the controller in reverse polarity - you have to connect it via screw terminals out of the box anyway, then it will work normally when connected to the Zamp wiring. The Zamp connector is a standard SAE connector, same as comes with the Renogy product.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 86
zamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
I have a new Rockwood 2504s which is pre-wired for one of the Zamp solar panel kits. The only visible component to this is the externally mounted plug and I'm wondering what might be already installed if anything between this plug and the battery besides a couple of wires. Are there any other components related to the charging system? i.e. fuses, charge controller, etc.
Have a Zamp on my Sunseeker
This goes direct to the battery / same as if you connected an outside source with clips .
I did not buy a Zamp but connected to color panels for battery maintenance no issues
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Some guy in back...
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
I too have a Renogy solar suitcase solar panel set. I use the Zamp wiring. It is very convenient. I think Zamp purposely wires their setup opposite the usual polarity so they can put on the sticker that says you must use Zamp only. The solution is simple. The output cable from the Renogy can simply be connected to the controller in reverse polarity - you have to connect it via screw terminals out of the box anyway, then it will work normally when connected to the Zamp wiring. The Zamp connector is a standard SAE connector, same as comes with the Renogy product.
On the connector, could be, but it might also be that they did not want an end user to have an exposed pin (from a large panel) carrying 12+ volts, ready to short and cause bigger problems...

So, marketing and safety at the same time!
__________________
ChateauV10
St. Charles, MO
Ex-SF Bay Area
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 215
I use my zamp plug as an outdoor charging station for my phone or whatever, works great!
I put solar on the roof running through a controller inside (I installed) way better and cheaper then zamp.
__________________
2020 Jayco Eagle HT 274CKDS
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD SRW 4x4 Laramie
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/
Happy Trails All!!
roaddiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
I use my zamp plug as an outdoor charging station for my phone or whatever, works great!
I put solar on the roof running through a controller inside (I installed) way better and cheaper then zamp.
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
__________________
former 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE owner - replaced by a Pleasure-Way Tofino

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
Sky&Scuba
 
kendive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
On the connector, could be, but it might also be that they did not want an end user to have an exposed pin (from a large panel) carrying 12+ volts, ready to short and cause bigger problems...

So, marketing and safety at the same time!
Buy your own connector and set the solar panels like you want with a charge controller.

2 Pins Power Industrial Connectors Waterproof IP67 Male Plug Bayonet Connection | eBay

I ordered on already.



.
__________________
2015 F150 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat FX4 502A 3.55 Gears Max Tow KO2 Tires
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150 RB / Traded in Catalina 253RKS
kendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
The Zamp plug is simply a connector on the side of the camper that is pre-wired directly to the battery which allows you to connect solar panels to the battery without having to access the battery compartment.
It is nothing more than a convenient 12v connection to your battery.

With the use of something that mates to the existing Zamp plug, you can easily use the port to charge (or power) things since it is directly connected to the on-board battery.



__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The Zamp plug is simply a connector on the side of the camper that is pre-wired directly to the battery which allows you to connect solar panels to the battery without having to access the battery compartment.
It is nothing more than a convenient 12v connection to your battery.

With the use of something that mates to the existing Zamp plug, you can easily use the port to charge (or power) things since it is directly connected to the on-board battery.



Thanks!
__________________
former 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE owner - replaced by a Pleasure-Way Tofino

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
The zamp plug is just the connector with 2 wires going directly to the battery. Do a search on my name...I have posts and pictures.
roaddiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:00 AM   #14
Learning a lot as I go...
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 216
Ditto on the Zamp connector: merely a flat two connector which you can find in the trailer section of many auto parts stores like Autozone.

The wiring behind (on my 2604WS anyways) consists of a ground wire to the frame and a 14 gauge wire run directly to the battery side of the cut-off switch.

Note there is NO fuse nor circuit breaker on this wire so the whole wire is one big short hazzard :-p I just ripped mine out and replaced with properly fused 12 gauge wires into a "round 4" jack. Connector and wires capable of handling higher currents than the Zamp stuff.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
TsnTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Outskirts of Austin
Posts: 160
I decided to bypass the zamp plug altogether. I purchased a Renogy starter kit with one 100 watt panel and put the controller inside one of the storage compartments. Controller is permanently wired to two new 6 volt golf cart batteries which are wired in series for 12 volt system. As long as I can get 3 - 4 hours of sunlight on the panel a day it will bring my batteries to full charge again. We do a lot of boondocking and are pleased with the setup. I'll probably eventually use the zamp plug for some external lighting.
__________________
2016 Rockwood 2504s
2016 Chevy 2500HD
TsnTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar, wiring

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.