Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Zamp Solar pre-wiring question

I have a new Rockwood 2504s which is pre-wired for one of the Zamp solar panel kits. The only visible component to this is the externally mounted plug and I'm wondering what might be already installed if anything between this plug and the battery besides a couple of wires. Are there any other components related to the charging system? i.e. fuses, charge controller, etc.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

No charge controller. Two wires which on ours does not go directly to the battery, goes to the junction box first and will not charge unless battery switch is on so no good for using as a tender. No visible fuses.

Ours was also wired opposite of a standard two prong plug from our existing portable solar combo but so was our exhaust fan lol.
friendofacatahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Correct. The Zamp plug is wired reverse polarity. I wired my Renogy directly to the battery with the controller in a front storage compartment. Haven't figured out a use for the Zamp plug yet. Maybe I'll plug my 12V Christmas decorations into it next Winter.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, I've been looking at the Renogy and would also make a direct battery connection.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

I too have a Renogy solar suitcase solar panel set. I use the Zamp wiring. It is very convenient. I think Zamp purposely wires their setup opposite the usual polarity so they can put on the sticker that says you must use Zamp only. The solution is simple. The output cable from the Renogy can simply be connected to the controller in reverse polarity - you have to connect it via screw terminals out of the box anyway, then it will work normally when connected to the Zamp wiring. The Zamp connector is a standard SAE connector, same as comes with the Renogy product.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

zamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
I have a new Rockwood 2504s which is pre-wired for one of the Zamp solar panel kits. The only visible component to this is the externally mounted plug and I'm wondering what might be already installed if anything between this plug and the battery besides a couple of wires. Are there any other components related to the charging system? i.e. fuses, charge controller, etc.
Have a Zamp on my Sunseeker
This goes direct to the battery / same as if you connected an outside source with clips .
I did not buy a Zamp but connected to color panels for battery maintenance no issues
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
I too have a Renogy solar suitcase solar panel set. I use the Zamp wiring. It is very convenient. I think Zamp purposely wires their setup opposite the usual polarity so they can put on the sticker that says you must use Zamp only. The solution is simple. The output cable from the Renogy can simply be connected to the controller in reverse polarity - you have to connect it via screw terminals out of the box anyway, then it will work normally when connected to the Zamp wiring. The Zamp connector is a standard SAE connector, same as comes with the Renogy product.
On the connector, could be, but it might also be that they did not want an end user to have an exposed pin (from a large panel) carrying 12+ volts, ready to short and cause bigger problems...

So, marketing and safety at the same time!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

I use my zamp plug as an outdoor charging station for my phone or whatever, works great!
I put solar on the roof running through a controller inside (I installed) way better and cheaper then zamp.

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
I use my zamp plug as an outdoor charging station for my phone or whatever, works great!
I put solar on the roof running through a controller inside (I installed) way better and cheaper then zamp.
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
On the connector, could be, but it might also be that they did not want an end user to have an exposed pin (from a large panel) carrying 12+ volts, ready to short and cause bigger problems...

So, marketing and safety at the same time!
Buy your own connector and set the solar panels like you want with a charge controller.

2 Pins Power Industrial Connectors Waterproof IP67 Male Plug Bayonet Connection | eBay

I ordered on already.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
The Zamp plug is simply a connector on the side of the camper that is pre-wired directly to the battery which allows you to connect solar panels to the battery without having to access the battery compartment.
It is nothing more than a convenient 12v connection to your battery.

With the use of something that mates to the existing Zamp plug, you can easily use the port to charge (or power) things since it is directly connected to the on-board battery.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The Zamp plug is simply a connector on the side of the camper that is pre-wired directly to the battery which allows you to connect solar panels to the battery without having to access the battery compartment.
It is nothing more than a convenient 12v connection to your battery.

With the use of something that mates to the existing Zamp plug, you can easily use the port to charge (or power) things since it is directly connected to the on-board battery.

Thanks!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
The zamp plug is just the connector with 2 wires going directly to the battery. Do a search on my name...I have posts and pictures.
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:00 AM   #14
Learning a lot as I go...

Ditto on the Zamp connector: merely a flat two connector which you can find in the trailer section of many auto parts stores like Autozone.

The wiring behind (on my 2604WS anyways) consists of a ground wire to the frame and a 14 gauge wire run directly to the battery side of the cut-off switch.

Note there is NO fuse nor circuit breaker on this wire so the whole wire is one big short hazzard :-p I just ripped mine out and replaced with properly fused 12 gauge wires into a "round 4" jack. Connector and wires capable of handling higher currents than the Zamp stuff.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #15

I decided to bypass the zamp plug altogether. I purchased a Renogy starter kit with one 100 watt panel and put the controller inside one of the storage compartments. Controller is permanently wired to two new 6 volt golf cart batteries which are wired in series for 12 volt system. As long as I can get 3 - 4 hours of sunlight on the panel a day it will bring my batteries to full charge again. We do a lot of boondocking and are pleased with the setup. I'll probably eventually use the zamp plug for some external lighting.

Tags
solar, wiring