Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

Zombie box generator enclosure

Anybody have experience with these?
https://www.zombie-box.com/products

Looks good on paper, and would allow me to use my existing 7500 watt contractor genny if it would tone it down.

Thanks in advance
Rubenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

From the prices it looks like it would be cheaper to buy an inverter generator !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #3

For the price you could purchase a much quieter generator (or two) that would do the job and perhaps leave money left over.

To me they look more like "Hot Boxes" and their test data was achieved with a generator running only at 50% load.

If you need the 7 Kw capability there are 3500 watt Inverter generators on the market that need no additional sound enclosure and can be connected in parallel. With two generators you can only run one if you need less power.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
From the prices it looks like it would be cheaper to buy an inverter generator !
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

Zombie box generator enclosure

I have one on special order. There’s about a 3-month backlog on them. They are all handmade, which explains the delay.

We recently purchased a 9,500-watt / 50 amp Westinghouse that runs off gas or propane. Since our generator will be outside all the time I wanted a secure enclosure that would protect the generator from rain and provide exceptional sound damping.

They are not cheap, twice what the generator cost me. But I think it will be worth the investment in the long run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	240017

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

SacRV, that is eventually what I'd like to have. A big gen on propane (no hauling/spilling gasoline, able to run light loads w/o fouling, etc).

How did you find out about zombie-box? Did you see/hear one somewhere?

I'm hoping an enclosure would let me set up once outside in the weather (portable is not important, we are stationary) here in western Washington (lots of rain) and the big gen would eliminate switching breakers on & off for different activities.

Our destination trailer doesn't have a propane option for hot water and the refrigerator is 120 volt only. Only the furnace and stove/oven are propane.

I've been trying for a month to balance cost, complexity, noise, compromise and reliability to come up with a combination that me OR my wife could do easily in a rain, snow, or wind storm. We are too old to fiddle an unreliable equipment in the middle of the night, so a big/loud Honda is on the wish list (if the zombie will live up to the hype).
Old 09-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #7

...whoops...honda only goes to 7000 watts

Tags
generator