Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Question zone 2 thermostat has "elec" on it?

Hey all,

My thermostat on "zone" 1 only has "off and gas" as options.

I was pushing the 'mode' button on zone 2 and discovered 'elec' as one of the options. I turned it on and let it kick on. The 'ac' in the bedroom kicked on and it basically blew cold air. (no heat) Is there an actual option for electric heat like this? Anyone else use it?

OFF

GAS

ELEC

Thanks!!

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

Depending on your AC unit, it may well have a heat strip in it. Mine does (2020 2608BS). Zone 2 is a 15K unit in the (rear) bedroom (zone 1 is the front furnace in the kitchen) and when I engage that mode, I get both the front furnace and the rear heat strip kicking in. It takes a few minutes but it does eventually provide warm air.
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
Depending on your AC unit, it may well have a heat strip in it. Mine does (2020 2608BS). Zone 2 is a 15K unit in the (rear) bedroom (zone 1 is the front furnace in the kitchen) and when I engage that mode, I get both the front furnace and the rear heat strip kicking in. It takes a few minutes but it does eventually provide warm air.

This ac in zone 2 was a 15k ac unit we had installed after we got the trailer. No clue what module it is.

So to test it, zone 1 GAS, zone 2 ELEC. Does the thermostat in zone 2 kick it on and off? I *always* have zone 2 heat OFF. Discovered by accident.

Fortunately we are in Texas and it's 69 degrees outside. LOL!! Might have to test it next winter.

Thanks,

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

My experience is that turning on the heat in zone 2 will also turn on the furnace; seems it wants both going. My experience is also that the thermostat sensor in the rear bedroom does turn the heat on and off in that room.
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #5

When you purchased the camper, your dealer should have provide you the build sheet. This will tell you what options were included with that unit from the factory. Most FR brands do not include the heat strips in the A/C units, but are easily installed aftermarket.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

We have a 2020 Rockwood 2608bs with same thermostat. Zone 1 is for gas heat or AC for the living area. Zone 2 is for AC or heat. There is an electric heat strip in the AC in the bedroom. Turn Zone 2 “off” if you don’t want the heat strip to heat when furnace is on. Make sure Zone 1 is “off” so furnace doesn’t run when using Zone 2. Only time both zones might be on is when using air conditioning. Don’t worry, it has taken me a while to figure out the thermostat. Some of the functions I discovered by accident!
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

Hi!
Yes, I checked my A/C on our new Chaparral and it does not have the optional heat strip. The Manual says if it did it is NOT to be used as a furnace, but as a supplement to the reg. heat. My problem is this: I have exactly the same thermostat and need to find out how to return it to a gas heat setting. Right now it shows "Heat-Gas" in Zone 1, but shuts off the blower after a minute or so, no kick-in from propane, which then heats. Before, I had a flame Icon which was the right setting for the furnace to kick in. Anybody know how to set the Thermostat so the furnace will work? PS: I set the blower to "Auto", not low or high fan, which is solely for the A/c.
ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat