Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

16” wheels on a Wolf Pup?

Mulling over some options.
My TT has stock 14” wheels. I figure no prob if I went to 15”. Anybody ever swap in 16” on a Wolf Pup?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

couple of things to consider and check can a 16" wheel be place on the bolt patter for the original. Is there enough clearance form the wheel to the tire with full suspension travel.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #3

I’ll second SeaDog’s post. I just went thru this evaluation for one of my trailers with 15YO tires.

You probably have 5 lug/4.5” bolt pattern. You will find many current cars have 16” wheels with the correct bolt pattern, but the offset (backspacing) will most likely not work. As SeaDog stated, check for rubbing.

Also, what purpose do you plan for the trailer, mostly paved/hard surface or off road with sand. If sand, the low profile side wall of a 16”,with proper OD will not do much when reducing air pressure for sand flotation.

If you are going to lift the trailer to install larger tires for off-road then you will work thru the mods you will be facing. Most 16” trailer wheels (with proper backspacing) will have 6 or 8 lugs.

I just slowed down and saw your signature, flipped axle answers most of above. BTW, there is a place (Champion Trailers slidell, La) I have used for a good selection of “oddball” trailer parts with good quality. They may have a 6 lug hub that fits your bearing sizes.

Wasn’t in the Navy, but, worked with a bunch of retired Navy Nukes in Nuclear Power Generation and then Newport News building boats (daughter works there).
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

The 16” was a random thought. Right now I only use at least electric sites, if not FHU. I have a lightweight generator and would like to boondock.
I expect the larger the tire, the cooler it will run on the highway and the better the TT and tires will handle bumps and such.
TT got the flip for my driveway to road drag avoidance and a chance to use my factory rear hitch. Previously I waited to get down the road before installing my WDH spring bars.
3 years now on the China bombs, just prepping with upgrade thinking
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel, wolf pup