Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorturtle View Post
My 235/80R/16 Goodyear tires lasted 7000 miles. All worn off in the middle. Goodyear said "over inflation" and so far they have walked away. How can they be overinflated if they are at 80 psi as per the side wall? My OEM China bombs lasted 4 years and I took them off because of age. I replaced the OEM tires with Maxis. When they aged out they still had 1/2 the tread left. Then I changed to Goodyear. If I do get any relief it will be from my independent Tire Pro dealer who has supplied all my tires for the last 20 years.
According to the specs I found for your trailer the OE tires we 15".

When plus sizing to 16", the standard says the plus sized tires MUST provide a load capacity equal to what the OE tires provided. To do that a new recommended cold inflation pressure must be set. For a 2011 trailer it would be set for the maximum GAWR load and add 5 psi to insure load capacity reserves. If your OE tires were ST225/75R15 LRE the 16" LRE should have been set at 65 PSI.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #22

Quote:
My 235/80R/16 Goodyear tires lasted 7000 miles. All worn off in the middle. Goodyear said "over inflation" and so far they have walked away. How can they be overinflated if they are at 80 psi as per the side wall?
In all of those 7,000 miles I guess you never noticed the tread wearing in the middle??? a sure sign of over-inflation if I ever saw one. Chalk it up to experience , live and learn from your mistakes and move on.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #23

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
My 2 year old GY Endurance trailer tires with 16,000 miles have 3/32 to 4/32 of tire tread left. Wear is even across all 4 tires. Do travel trailer tires wear out this quick? Anyone have a similar towing experience with GY Endurance trailer tires? Had hoped to get 40k miles.

My travel trailer is FRiver Surveyor 251RKS. Scaled trailer weight of 6500lbs loaded. My scaled weight for my truck and trailer are all well within specs. Tires are rated 80 psi, running at 75 psi.
How fast are you driving ? I have. 5er 38 RKI Cougar close 10k very little wear. Are yours balanced ? That makes a big difference.
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
My 2 year old GY Endurance trailer tires with 16,000 miles have 3/32 to 4/32 of tire tread left. Wear is even across all 4 tires. Do travel trailer tires wear out this quick? Anyone have a similar towing experience with GY Endurance trailer tires? Had hoped to get 40k miles.

My travel trailer is FRiver Surveyor 251RKS. Scaled trailer weight of 6500lbs loaded. My scaled weight for my truck and trailer are all well within specs. Tires are rated 80 psi, running at 75 psi.

People will never get the same mileage out of trailer tires as they do with tires on their car or truck.
1. One reason ST type tires can be rated for the extra load vs regular LT tires is the shallower tread depth. This allows the ST type tires to run cooler. Less tread depth always means lower mileage.

2, Trailer tires are not steered around corners but dragged. This means that there is always more scuffing with every corner and turn. This is most obvious when you back your trailer into a space at an RV park.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Every manufacturer has a different load/psi chart. It isn't the same across all brands.

Not correct. Only exception would be a handful of Michelin 22.5 tires that were originally developed in Europe as full Metric then the conversion and rounding when going metric > SI results is some minor mis-match.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 12-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #26

All, is it a general consensus that "new" depth is 8/32 for most All GY Endurance? I wonder what do tire's specs say about zero-miles depth?
DeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #27

My GY Endurance wear is comparable with the OP. at 2 yrs I have 14k miles, down to 6/32". wearing mostly even. Tires balanced & rotated frequently. My Drivers side rear has the most wear.

-Tire pressure checked EVERY time the trailer is hitched
-TPMS is always used (TST-507)
-Rig scales at 12k
-Wheel positions weigh in (Escapees Smartweigh) within a 200lbs of each other and well under axle ratings.
-Typical highway speed 68mph

I was surprised how fast they are wearing as well but in general I would buy these tires again. Very happy with their performance. (PS, I got 7k out of china bombs before 3 blew). I have had Sailuns in the past (start at 11/32") with good results.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanK View Post
All, is it a general consensus that "new" depth is 8/32 for most All GY Endurance? I wonder what do tire's specs say about zero-miles depth?
You can check the GY Endurance specs here https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ce/sizes-specs

Old 12-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #29
Commercial Member

worn out tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
You can check the GY Endurance specs here https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ce/sizes-specs

I believe that most stated set the minimum at 2/32 There should be wear bars in multiple places in the tread. when those are at the surface the tire is considered "worn out"
Old 12-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #30

ST tires are calculated in maxload for a deflection for 65mph, so more then for 99mph of an LT tire.
More deflection gives more wear of the treath.

To give the ST tire more miles, lesser deflection is needed. So if you give them same deflection as an LT tire of same sises, by using higher cold pressure, they last longer.

The lesser profile dept of ST , also makes them last shorter, but the more deflection is the biggest part.

Then with the same deflection as LT, still no centrewear and no bumping, to my conclusions( discussable).
The one that wrote about centrewear, must have much to high pressure for his weights, even for LT. Would like to have exact specifications from him, so I can calculate it.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:31 AM   #31

Quote:

I had two of the Endurance on my fifth wheel and only got about 12000 miles out of them. I had to get them while on the road after one of my Westlakes lost a tread and the dealer in Rapid City couldn't (or wouldn't) get Maxxis. I have Maxxis all the way around now. The are the best tire I've had so far.
Texan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
......I have had Sailuns in the past (start at 11/32") with good results.
I'm curious how many miles did you get from Sailuns, and why you changed to Endurance?
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #33

tire status

my Goodyear Endurance tires now have 6500 miles on them and I'm ecstatic, never had a trailer tire get that many miles, most succumb to weather checking here in Arizona, except for the China bombs that separate with only a couple thousand miles. Good you have gotten so many miles and from the posts you will get many more.
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #34

Have you rotated your tires front to rear I know a lot of people don't. However being a mechanic I have always rotated my vehicle tires at every oil change and rotate my trailer tires at the end of each season since I Have the wheels off anyway to service the brakes and bearings. Trailer tires will wear differently between front and rear axles due to the stresses of load variation and tight turns.
Living the dream with Carol my best friend/Wife for 50+ years2011 F-250 6.2ltr 2 WD ext cab / 2015 Crusader 350 touring edition
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #35

Tire pressure vs Load

I'm not too sure about inflating tires per the load. I have about 8000 lbs on my fifth wheel dual axles and E rated tires. Per the Maxxis load chart I would inflate the tire to 45 psi for 2000 lbs of load. I don't know about other people, but I'm not about to do that. I run 75 psi in my tires all the time and haven't noticed any uneven wear yet.
Texan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #36

The correct tire inflation pressures for Original Equipment tires are determined by the vehicle manufacturers. NHTSA & USTMA fully support the vehicle manufacturers recommended cold inflation pressures and display their support by mandated information provided in vehicle owner manuals, vehicle federal certifications and tire load placards. The mandates carry over to all replacement tires with the statement; replacement tires MUST provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided.

In vehicles having their recommended tire inflation set by the vehicle manufacturer, inflation to the load carried is counterproductive. The automotive industry has mandatory load capacity reserve settings they must provide for all OE tires. When builders of RV trailers comply with a RVIA recommendation that provides 10% in load capacity reserves it becomes the minimum standard once set on the vehicle certification label by the vehicle manufacturer.

I’d be very interested to see an official NHTSA or USTMA document that contradicts their official recommended inflation pressure standards.

Tire load inflation charts do not provide recommendations, they are informative.

Bottom line; tire manufacturers DO NOT set recommended cold inflation pressures, vehicle manufacturers do.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #37

There is so much controversy on tires! I'd like to go up one load range when I replace my new China bombs next year. I have 205-15's D rated and would like to go with GY Endurance load range E but need to go up a size to 215. Not sure where I can get weighed and should I get the weight that is on each tire or the overall on the axles and divide by 4? Then go by tire charts for pressure? Where do you get weighed?
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I'm curious how many miles did you get from Sailuns, and why you changed to Endurance?
Sorry it was a typo—I mentioned Sailun they were Maxxis (prior rig).

I wanted sailun but not available at my Discount Tire shop.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #39

Prior Experience

I purchased my first travel trailer in 1963 and thru the years I have replaced more tires than I can count. My tire dealer for the last 20 years inflates my tires when they are rotated at the start of each season to sidewall pressure. Paramount is my concerns with losing the side of the trailer due to tire failure.

The fact is I have never had a set of tires
wear out in 7k miles except these Goodyear tires. All my previous tires, Maxis were the last, were inflated to sidewall specification of 80PSI for their life and exchanged at approximately 5 years due to age, not tread wear. Perhaps all previous tires never read the inflation chart?

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, I'm just stating facts over my 53 years of history purchasing trailer tires.
poorturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #40

If you are doing a lot of miles then you might want to spring for a set of pickup tires. You will get a lot more miles out of them if your axles are aligned properly. But they will get out dated if you don't put the miles on them. If you don't plan on traveling a lot of miles then go with a good trailer tire. I toured the Oliver plant a few years ago and the said they recommend the pickup tires, that's what they were putting on the new trailers at that time. Not sure what they are using now.

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, travel, travel trailer