Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #1

2 Tow Dolly Tire blowouts in 1 weekend

This weekend I had 2 blowouts on my Demco Kar Kaddy SS. I am sure it is simply due to the age of the tires (2008) but we have been pulling this trailer pretty consistently, for years with little to no issue. the 1st blow out was Friday Night on our way to the campground..

Luckily I had a Spare and Road Side assistance arrived within 30 minutes of calling them at 9:00pm on a Friday night (GO GOOD SAM).

So, on one of our adventures I swung by a Wal*Mart to pick up a new spare Just in Case there were any issues before I could get a new tire installed on the rim.

The Second blowout happened on the way home from the camp ground Monday afternoon. this time it was the opposite tire.

In both cases the Tires completely DISTROYED the tow dolly finders when they blew.
This time, the Road side assistance didn't show up after waiting several hours, so I decided to drop my toad and change the tire myself which went exceptionally quick even thought it started raining sideways as soon as I started the changeover.

Prior to the trip I check the tire pressure (50lbs) each, and the tread looked good. but as you can see from the second picture, the treads literally pulled off the tire when it blew.

Advice for the day. "Keep a Spare Trailer Tire handy!"
Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Check to see where they are manufactured, I had the same thing happen to me when I was towing my Montana, very low tow miles. Checked the tire mfg, they were made in China!!! I took it to Glenn's tires in Melbourne told him to throw them all in the dumpster and got 5 new Made in the USA tires.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

Probably aged out. Were they STs?
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
Check to see where they are manufactured, I had the same thing happen to me when I was towing my Montana, very low tow miles. Checked the tire mfg, they were made in China!!! I took it to Glenn's tires in Melbourne told him to throw them all in the dumpster and got 5 new Made in the USA tires.
They were made in China.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Probably aged out. Were they STs?
Yes, they were ST's

Tags
tire