Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #1

2019 Georgetown GT5 engine cutting out

We have not used our M/H since late spring. However, I have done usual running gen set, a/c and main engine monthly. I have not driven until today. I drove to get propane and gas and during the course of these activities a few things occurred. When I first turned engine on a light in the shape of a wrench illuminated. Then when on road I noted the “tow/haul mode would not activate. Since the propane house requires fwy driving I tried cruise control, it did not work. And finally, the most significant issue, when I got back on the road (now a light in the outfight of an engine illuminated) the engine start to cut out. It could not take much load, so i got on some surface streets to find a gas station (low on gas, perhaps related?). I found a station filled up ($$$) and limped home by bypassing a significant grade I knew I wouldn’t be able climb by keeping engine below 2,000 rpm. Fortunately I made it home.

So, now the questions. Is there some sort of interlock between tow/haul, cruise control and engine power demand? I.e., if some fuse is blown does it go in some type of limp mode?

Thanks for any insight.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Go Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #2

It sounds like you have an issue that flagged and set the "Limp Mode". The first step if you are mechanically inclined is to get a code reader, plug it in and see what code activated and if it will reset.
Some codes will reset, some won't, but if it triggered the Limp Mode, it can be serious. If it is a code that you can determine is not catastrophic and it will reset, do that and see if it pops again. If so, a trip tot he mechanic may be in your future.
My 2017 pops a missfire code periodically, but it does not go into Limp Mode and it does not affect the performance at all. I am certain that one of the coils occasionally misses and that triggers the code. It's not a worry for me.
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:17 PM   #3

Thanks!

Thanks Dan,

I used reader and it spit out PO122, throttle body position sensor.

Also, I looked at chassis cab manual for F550, the warning light is indeed for "limp mode".

Next step, determine how difficult it is to get to TPS. Then test, then possibly replace with new one? We will see.

Thanks
Scott

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #4

I haven’t worked on mine or any other V10, but I find it hard to believe that it would be that hard to check and/or replace…
Old 10-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
NXR

2019 Georgetown GT5 engine cutting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Poly
Thanks Dan,

I used reader and it spit out PO122, throttle body position sensor.

Also, I looked at chassis cab manual for F550, the warning light is indeed for "limp mode".

Next step, determine how difficult it is to get to TPS. Then test, then possibly replace with new one? We will see.

A 2019 may still be under Ford's 5 year drivetrain warranty even if it has a 2018 chassis. I'd be checking into that pronto.

Also, no, you do not have an F550. That is a finished vehicle with a cab. Yes, you and everyone with a motorhome got a sheet with a Ford logo that says it's an F550.

Run your VIN through an online decoder and you'll see it's made by Detroit Chassis LLC, the subcontractor that makes the F53 "incomplete vehicle" motorhome chassis. The F550 is made in a different state than your VIN decode will show as well.

Ray
Old 10-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #6

OBD codes, clearing?

If I install a new TPS will the related OBD code clear automatically? Or?

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Poly View Post
If I install a new TPS will the related OBD code clear automatically? Or?
You may still need to reset it with the reader. If it doesn't come back, you're good.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #8

Status: i unhooked chassis battery, then I removed doghouse, inspected wiring and connector for TPS, all looked good (no critters chewed on anything), removed and replaced TPS unit. Hooked up battery and turned over ignition, idiot lights came on, but did not go off, started it and raised rpm to over 2,000 rpm, it started cutting out the same way.

Argh! Now what?

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #9

Is it possibly the codes did not clear when battery was disconnected? Then when engine started system still thinks there is an issue therefore it stays in limp mode? So, if I were to clear codes with OBD reader, then run it,
perhaps with new TPS it won’t throw a error code?

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #10
NXR

If your OBDII reader will clear stored codes, be certain to write them all down and then clear them and see what happens.

Did you check to see if you're still covered by the Ford 5/60 drivetrain warranty? If you do not know, you can create an account at My Ford and enter your VIN and it will tell you.

https://www.ford.com/support/

If you're still covered, Ford gives 5 years of Roadside Assistance so you also can call them. Or just call the and they can check your VIN for you: 1-800-241-3673.

Ray
Old 10-20-2022, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Is it possibly the codes did not clear when battery was disconnected? Then when engine started system still thinks there is an issue therefore it stays in limp mode? So, if I were to clear codes with OBD reader, then run it,
perhaps with new TPS it won’t throw a error code?
Post #7.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #12

Status

I was unable to clear the wrench light via the OBD2 device, but i did successfully clear it by removing ground from battery and running jumper from negative cable to positive terminal, leaving connected for 20 minutes or so to discharge a system capacitors in hopes of starting fresh. It worked! The wrench 🔧 was gone and the engine runs great. Tow/haul and cruise functionality regained and it runs smoothly.

However, the engine emission light is still illuminated. Not sure how to clear.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #13
NXR

Do you still show any stored codes? If so, what are they?

Not all OBDII readers have the ability to reset codes. Does yours?

Ray
Old 10-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you still show any stored codes? If so, what are they?

Not all OBDII readers have the ability to reset codes. Does yours?

Ray

Instructions says it does have erase functionality. I have tried to erase. But, I still have both codes related to TPS, PO122 and P2135. Odd.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #15

Status Sunday 23rd

I was able to clear the emissions warning light with the OBD2 reader.

So, no wrench light and no emissions light illuminated. And it runs great and tow/haul and cruise functionality are working.

BUT, for some reason the OBD2 still shows PO122 and indicates “permanent”.

In summary, M/H runs/drives great, no warning lights, but OBD2 still has code displayed for TPS, which is the thing I replaced.

Plan is to take on camping trip, tow trailer with it and cross my fingers I don’t have some underlying issue that crops up while traveling.

Not sure what else do.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 10-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
I was able to clear the emissions warning light with the OBD2 reader.

So, no wrench light and no emissions light illuminated. And it runs great and tow/haul and cruise functionality are working.

BUT, for some reason the OBD2 still shows PO122 and indicates “permanent”.

In summary, M/H runs/drives great, no warning lights, but OBD2 still has code displayed for TPS, which is the thing I replaced.

Plan is to take on camping trip, tow trailer with it and cross my fingers I don’t have some underlying issue that crops up while traveling.

Not sure what else do.
Some Ford Chassis use both a Throttle position sensor (TPS) AND a Pedal Position Sensor. Either can cause the P0122 fault code.

Make sure the accelerator pedal isn't impeded by floor mat or any debris. It too may need to be replaced. A typical one looks like this:

Corroded connections at each sensor can also be a cause. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting a couple times can cure this issue by making sure the connections are electrically sound.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #17

Status of TPS replacement

We have successfully completed two camping trips since I replaced the TPS, cleared the "wrench" and cleared the emissions light. Thankfully all has worked properly!

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 01-19-2023, 05:06 PM   #18

Status update

We hit the road this morning in our Georgetown GT5 and not 7 miles along the way the wrench light illuminated. Crap. Then mild engine cutting out occurred and we turned back for home. Upon arrival we used code reader and similar to last time 3 codes were indicated. P2135, P2119 an P0122. All throttle position related. As you all may recall I had replaced the TPS back in October and have had success, 2 camping trips, ~750 miles, since. All was well until this morning.

I find it difficult to believe that the same sensor has failed, but not sure what other culprits there are. My plan of attack is to remove the doghouse and inspect the unit and connections.

Any ideas are most welcome.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Old 01-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #19

I would look at forums or other sites related to mechanical repairs for Fords.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...t=gws-wiz-serp

https://www.carparts.com/blog/p2135-...e-correlation/

Tags
georgetown, tow