Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

5th Wheel Air Bag

What are the pro's and con's?
What are your recomendation's for the 5th wheel King pin air bag system?

Tim Coltrain
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Air Bag

My camper weigh's with full load 16638. I see air bags systems for 18,000 and 21000. Do you go for 21000 lbs or should I stay with closer to my weight and go for the 18,000 lbs?

Tim In NC
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #3

Picture

Here's a Picture
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

I have had two 5ers with this system and I would not tow without one unless I had the very expensive air ride hitch that has 4 air bags under the hitch head to smooth out the ride.
When I purchase my first TrailAir king pin box this was sized to my factory king box weight and length. Which I retrofitted to the trailer. My second trailer I order the TrailAir king pin box from the factory that made the 5er.

I would do a search on the Cedar Creek threads and see the discussion there about the TrailAir king pin box.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

After having the TrailAir for 2 years now I can say that I wouldn't be without one on any sizable 5th wheel.

My Wildcat weighs in around 13,000+ and after I installed the TrailAir it was night and day .... mine has the Tri-Glide rollers which eliminates 95% of the chucking (love it).

Pros: eliminates the sudden thuds when hitting dips and bumps, cushions the ride , helps save the frame stress on trailer and truck.
Cons: cost...but worth it.

fyi, I've posted this before, but here it is again,
I did a test by placing a few small items inside the 5th wheel on the table and counter tops, normally after a 'short' distance of travel these items would be on the floor, chairs danced around, anything loose would find new homes.
With the TrailAir Pinbox "all" the small items I placed for the test, a plastic bowl, a pen, a spoon...and a few other things.... All... Everyone of them were still in the same spot as where I left them, yes... they did move a little, but after a 2hr trip none of them ended up on the floor.
This proved to me just how much the TrailAir Pinbox improved the ride for the 5th wheel.

Personally the ride in the truck for the driver and co-pilot is much more relaxing with the smooth ride, no chucking and sudden thumps.

I find I have to check myself and stop watching my mirror looking at the action of the pinbox - airbag doing it's job as we glide along.

Good Luck in your choice

Islander
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	129303  
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Retired

Are you guys inflating the airbag after you're hitched?

And when do you deflate? If at all?

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Are you guys inflating the airbag after you're hitched?

And when do you deflate? If at all?

I always inflate after I am hitched.
After I am out of my parking spot a home, which is sloped, I will then check to be sure I am at the 'mark' (arrow tip) that seems to work best for me.
It seems to be 75 psi that puts my rig at the 'mark'.

If the air bag should ever fail it is still safe to tow without air.

I will always check the 'mark' at any stops and top up, if needed.

After any long or short CG stays I will always stop after I am out of the CG and check again... as it does seem to change after you have moved after the initial hook up .

I have a 12volt air pump in the front storage compartment with a 25ft flex-coil air hose, also I installed a 12volt outlet right above at the slide pump mount.

RE: Deflating... I don't deflate until I am at home and the 5th wheel is going to stay in the stable for a while.
I use a 5th wheel tri-pod, (another topic), and find it best for the air bag to be firm when using the tri-pod.

Tip: I also keep the Air bag covered when at any CG, protecting it from the UV rays. Plus I made a custom cover for the whole TrailAir pin box when not being used, parked at home.

Islander
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
My camper weigh's with full load 16638. I see air bags systems for 18,000 and 21000. Do you go for 21000 lbs or should I stay with closer to my weight and go for the 18,000 lbs?

Tim In NC

That's a question for eTrailer < link

Islander
Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
After I am out of my parking spot a home, which is sloped, I will then check to be sure I am at the 'mark' (arrow tip) that seems to work best for me.

After any long or short CG stays I will always stop after I am out of the CG and check again... as it does seem to change after you have moved after the initial hook up .

I have a 12volt air pump in the front storage compartment with a 25ft flex-coil air hose, also I installed a 12volt outlet right above at the slide pump mount.

RE: Deflating... I don't deflate until I am at home and the 5th wheel is going to stay in the stable for a while.
I use a 5th wheel tri-pod, (another topic), and find it best for the air bag to be firm when using the tri-pod.

Tip: I also keep the Air bag covered when at any CG, protecting it from the UV rays. Plus I made a custom cover for the whole TrailAir pin box when not being used, parked at home.

Islander

Good info... Thanks for posting.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post

Islander
This is my routine also, except I carry a 10 lb air tank for occasional top off. Would not pull a 5th without a Trailair.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #11

The TrailAir hitch makes all the difference in the world, the air bag will last years and years without any maintenance or care, they last millions of miles on big trucks.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #12

Air

Has anyone had issue's with the air leaking out and if you are traveling what happens or what type of drive do you have. Does it slam up and down?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #13

I brought one and it doesn't work for me. If I had to do it over I would keep the standard pin box. It works for most people just not me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
Has anyone had issue's with the air leaking out and if you are traveling what happens or what type of drive do you have. Does it slam up and down?
My TrailAir will leak down over a period of a month or so especially in storage. I do not deflate the bag when in storage. But when we are traveling day today the bag will hold air. I do check the position of the line on the decal for the proper placement of the top surface of the box. I do not check the Air pressure in the bag it is what it is as long as the pin box is above the mark on the arrow for the shock. I do carry an 11-gallon portable air tank rated for 125PSI for filling up the bag as needed when traveling. I have notice air pressure changes do to temperature changes and elevation changes when traveling and I will adjust accordingly.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #15

Advice Taken

I bought one today. Three Week delivery.

Thanks for everyone help.

Tim Coltrain is NC
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #16

Good for you... you will enjoy it a great deal....and so will the co-pilot.

If you are installing it yourself.... let me know if you want any hints on how I did it all by myself.
...But then maybe you already have it all figured out.

Islander
Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #17

Do you mind telling what you paid for the pin box
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #18

Had 2 campers. 1st one without...shook me all over the place when towing. Felt every bump. 2nd camper ordered the airbag..best purchase ever for towing. Highly recommend.
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #19

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
I have the TrailAir on our fifth wheel and definitely enjoy the cushioned ride it provides.....I have thought about changing to a Reese Sidewinder King Pin with rotating turret but don't want to give up the ride I get with the TrailAir....I have seen Reese has an Elite Airborne in combination with the rotating turret....very pricey....are there any opinions out there about this pin box?
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel