Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
clr

5th wheel wheel well enhancement

OK brain trust, I was working under my 2015 Sanibel 3601, and found that the box of the body is only covered in a thine reflective type covering over the wood of the box. This looks to be a very good way to get water to the wood of the box and the resulting wood swelling and failure.
Any ideas about how to better cover (seal) this area would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_111809.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	209524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_111817.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	209525  
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
clr

Well I see that no one has any ideas about how to fix this. So I have come up with a idea or two so I will get back with you all about how this may turn out. Thanks for looking anyway.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

5th wheel wheel well enhancement

I blew a tire on our 2004 Sandpiper. It took out all the plastic etc in the wheel well. My nephew used galvanized sheet metal and a metal break to form a shield. Secured with screws and joints siliconed, never had another problem.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

Waterproofing the bottom of a travel trailer is a bit of a problem.

One could cover the bottom with sheet metal and seal joints but at what weight premium.

Mine is covered (mostly) with a Coroplast (plastic cardboard like material) held in place by Ramset type nails and washers. Does a great job of keeping water off the floor down the center and between frame rails. Rest of exposed surfaces are covered with a synthetic fabric that seems to shed water yet "breathe". Area above the wheels is covered with a heavier gauge plastic which I guess might suffer damage if a tire flew apart but so far none have.

I think that most manufacturers expect RV users will only be using them during good weather and if they do drive in a rain storm, they will sit for days and whatever gets wet will just dry.

My old trailer had it's underbelly covered with a heavy polypropylene fabric that was described as "rodent resistant". Went from front to back and side to side, supported every foot or two by Tek screws and washers. After 22 years of use, no water issues and living up in the Pacific NW I can't count the number of times I drove/towed it in the rain.

Depending on how many obstacles you have to deal with, perhaps sheets of FRP that are available from most any Big Box DIY store could be installed and the area above the wheels given some extra "armor" by attaching some 14-16 gauge aluminum sheeting (extended well ahead and behind where a piece of tire might hook an edge and rip it out).

Just tossing out what I've seen on mine and an idea.

BTW, if you do close up the underbelly, make sure to add a couple of louvered vents (the little round 2-3" type) so moisture has an escape path should any make it's way above the covering. Trapped moisture is the biggest cause of rot, mildew, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel