Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
Thanks a ton, jrk341! There is just one rim 15" X 6", 5 lug X 4.5" on this website that is rated at 3200 lbs. @ 95 PS. We actually kinda' like the looks of it, to boot!

Here's the wheel we found- https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...y-t16-56545bm/
About a half dozen ST tire manufacturers are now building a ST225/75R15 LRF. The China ST tire/wheel manufacturers have become very proficient in keeping-up with the trend for higher load capacity wheels & tires. I'll bet the rim you have referenced (https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...y-t16-56545bm/) is earmarked for those 15" LRF tires.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
About a half dozen ST tire manufacturers are now building a ST225/75R15 LRF. The China ST tire/wheel manufacturers have become very proficient in keeping-up with the trend for higher load capacity wheels & tires. I'll bet the rim you have referenced (https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...y-t16-56545bm/) is earmarked for those 15" LRF tires.
It appears that you are correct. The 225/75R15 LRF tires have a max load rating of 3195# and a max PSI of 95 and a speed rating of up to 81 MPH. Impressive numbers for a 15" trailer tire. As far as I can tell there are only a couple of manufacturers offering the LRF trailer tire and both are, as you indicated, building these tire in China.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #23

Those are sweet looking new rims, not a bad price.
But have you looked at Goodyear’s tire inflation charts for those tires? You may get sufficient load capacity (with reserve) at the lower pressure.
That said, $400 plus shipping is cheap insurance to get maximum load capacity for piece of mind.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #24

Price isn't bad either

Quote:
Thanks a ton, jrk341! There is just one rim 15" X 6", 5 lug X 4.5" on this website that is rated at 3200 lbs. @ 95 PS. We actually kinda' like the looks of it, to boot!

Here's the wheel we found- https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...y-t16-56545bm/
The price isn't bad either. Just a couple of things to check.
  • Does your current wheel center on the hub or is it centered by tapered (cone) lug nuts? Is the new wheel centered the same way?
  • If centered by lug nuts, is the center hole of the new wheel big enough to fit over the hub.
  • Does the current wheel have the same offset as the new wheel? Expressed another way, does the plane of the current wheel that contacts the hub contain the center of the tire tread, or is it offset inside or outside? Does the new wheel have the same offset? A big difference in offset could mean a tire that sticks out beyond the trailer skirt or rubs on the inside of the fender well or spring? A minor difference is probably less important, since this isn't a steering axle.
Good luck! This seems to be a wise decision.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #25

Rims

Quote:
We have a FR Signature Ultra Lite model 8244WS 5th wheel. I am going to get a set of new Goodyear Endurance 225/75r15 load rang E tires. As I'm sure most of you already know that size and load range tire gives me maximum weight capability of 2830# per tire at 80 PSI which gives us a maximum weight capacity of 11,320#. The aluminum rims that came on our unit are rated for maximum inflation of only 65 PSI. To take full advantage of the tires we need to find a set of 15" X 6", 5 lug X 4.5" lug pattern that have are certified for 80 PSI..

Do any of you know where on the internet that I can order this size and lug pattern wheel with an 80 PSI certification? The GVWR is 8,050 lbs. and we will most certainly not exceed that weight. I know this tire and wheel combination is a bit of an overkill but we've had tire problems in the past that ended up costing us dearly and we'd like to take all the precautions available to avoid that happening again.

Just to give you an idea how paranoid we are about tires, if I could find a way to put 16" tires on this unit, I would.
Tire rack, rock auto may be place to look or your local tire shop. E range are great I have them on my 38’ 5er. I took off the china bombs the first year I bought it. So far so good just keep inflation up. Good luck
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:51 PM   #26

Goodyear endurance

I put them on our GeoPro G19FD with offroad package, rims worked fine.

Make SURE you put metal stems on!! I had a stem go bad (the tire dealer said that the rubber stem they installed was for high pressure tires, they were wrong) and luckily we had a TMPS (TST 507) that saved me. You dont need the flow thru sensors. I put them on the truck too so the temp and pressure alarm all work.

Make sure you get the spare tire as an Endurance also, why take a chance if you ever need to put the spare on too.

I run at 80 psi cold, rides great, pulls great, and have plenty of safety margin.

Get covers or keep your tires out of the sun to protect from UV when in storage.
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #27

Goodyear tires

Hope I am in time before you made the purchase. If you are a veteran you can buy Goodyear tires through the Veterans Canteen Service and save a bundle. I saved $200 last year purchasing through the VCS. Warranty is same and is handled through your local dealer. Look online for Veterans Canteen Service.
dmayo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #28

I went through what the OP went through without all the noise. Factory wheels were rated 65psi, cast into the spoke on the back of the wheel. Went with new wheels from Tire Rack, Ultra Machine 5x4.5 bolt pattern that are rated 110psi.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
FWIW, I asked the Lionshead rep about the max pressure at the International Rally two years ago. The rep said my 5 lug trailer wheels had a 100 PSI rating. I've got about 6,000 miles on my GY Endurance running at 80 PSI.

Can you get that 100 psi rating info in writing?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Can you get that 100 psi rating info in writing?
I posted the reference below earlier in post #21. IMO the wheels in the reference are earmarked for the new LRF 15" tires entering the ST market place. The referenced wheels are good to 95 PSI not 100.

https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...y-t16-56545bm/
Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #31

Download the Load inflation chart from this page. https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx

For the size you list and your GVWR /4 is less than 2000 lbs. The chart says 45 psi for 2020Lbs. Your still above the max GVWR load at that pressure. Running harder just makes for bouncy hard ride. Watch the tread wear. High pressures result in center wear only. More pressure is not better with tires. No new wheels required.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Download the Load inflation chart from this page. https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx
Or this one.

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/C...T-Modified.pdf
Old 01-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #33

I thought he was looking at Endurance not Sailun. In any case, always use the tire manufacturers pressure/load chart for the tire you're buying.

SIde note - ALWAYS COLD. The tire manufacturers understand the pressure goes up with temperature. You DO NOT need to reduce pressure for a hot tire.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #34

Quote:
I thought he was looking at Endurance not Sailun. In any case, always use the tire manufacturers pressure/load chart for the tire you're buying.

SIde note - ALWAYS COLD. The tire manufacturers understand the pressure goes up with temperature. You DO NOT need to reduce pressure for a hot tire.
Load inflation charts are standardized by tire designated size and load capacity. The standardization is done by the Tire and Rim Association of America (TRA) and approved by NHTSA. Look on the Sailun chart I provided and you will see the TRA certification.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #35

TPMS

I strongly recommend a good TPMS Tire pressure monitoring system. Make sure it does temp as well. I ordered my 2020 Silverado LTZ with 4 extra sensors and the truck can display they with temp and warnings. The screw on valve stem caps I understand work equally as well. A tire will show high temps before it fails - also pressure is usually dropping. The TPMS will warn you unless it a puncture and rapid deflation in which case it's over before can react.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #36

Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info Airdale. I just know if I told a Goodyear dealer I used some other manufacturers pressure chart they would instantly say the warranty was void even if it wasn't true.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info Airdale. I just know if I told a Goodyear dealer I used some other manufacturers pressure chart they would instantly say the warranty was void even if it wasn't true.

The most comprehensive load inflation information for automotive tires, other than ST, can be found in the Toyo reference below. It's my go-to publication for plus sizing and LT to "P"/Metric for pick-up truck upgrades to LT.

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125...s_20170203.pdf
Old 01-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
I strongly recommend a good TPMS Tire pressure monitoring system. Make sure it does temp as well. I ordered my 2020 Silverado LTZ with 4 extra sensors and the truck can display they with temp and warnings. The screw on valve stem caps I understand work equally as well. A tire will show high temps before it fails - also pressure is usually dropping. The TPMS will warn you unless it a puncture and rapid deflation in which case it's over before can react.

Slight clarification. Tires may show higher temperature before it fails. It is entirely possible for long term aging to weaken the belt rubber such that you might get a belt separation which no TPMS is going to warn you about. That is why I have been advocating that trailer tires inspection include a "Free-Spin" inspection for radial or lateral runout condition.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #39

Thanks!!!! Great info.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:38 AM   #40

Change the valve steam and it changes the class of the ream. Done deal.
Jboshell1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, wheel