Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

831BHDS tows terrible, looks like a bent axle, should I upgrade the weight?

We purchased a 2017 Flagstaff 831BHDS new & itís never towed well, Iíve fought the trailer since getting it, link to other discussion below for a back story.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Flagstaff design harder to tow?

I think I may have found the problem & worse (for me) Iím probably to blame. I think the axle or axle end or even possibly the wheel is bent. I took a 6í piece of angle iron & rested it against the tires, the front tire towards the rear does not contact the angle iron while the front of that tire & both sides of the rear tire do. I used the method described here......

https://www.centrevilletrailer.com/h...ler-tire-wear/

The reason is probably because at the end of the first season while I was bringing it to storage I clipped a curb leaving less than a 2 inch gash on the lip of the wheel. I remember being extremely upset at myself for rubbing the curb after seeing the rim so I know I made contact.

Measuring in the back yard with a piece of angle iron there is daylight between the tire sidewall & angle iron only on that wheel, all others are fine. I know this isnít exact without alignment readings but itís a start. Now it looks like I need to find a competent shop with a real alignment machine to tell me whether it can be adjusted, bent back or replaced. Tire wear looks normal vs the others but thereís obviously something that needs to be inspected further at this point. Sigh but I guess at least I may be getting closer to a solution.

So now that Iíve done a little more inspection Iíve found that the axle looks bent where the stub shaft is seated into the tube itself, the other axle ends appear straight & true with no uneven gaps. To me the gap looks less than 1/8 of an inch & even though there is not detectable tire wear it should probably be replaced. Maybe the axle can be bent back, maybe itís fine but until itís measured at a competent shop I wonít know. My problem is that itís winter here in the North East so when I want to get the trailer out in the spring it will need the work which is when we should be camping. Iím thinking I should probably consider upgrading the axles & save myself the time in the spring. If I decide to just replace the axles what should I do for weight? There are 4K axles currently installed from the factory, trailer supposedly weighs 7100lbs dry with 1500lbs of payload. Is 4K per axle enough or should they be higher?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	175701DD-4984-4048-AAD5-54021F209591.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	194624   Click image for larger version

Name:	74EF2ADA-8BE9-467A-87AB-CDA5D63B7BF0.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	194625   Click image for larger version

Name:	151C3FF0-C715-45EE-B5FF-D104888E00ED.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	194626   Click image for larger version

Name:	D64E7141-35E6-4D88-85BF-88A7AEB46E85.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	194627  
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Did you rotate that tire to see if it was maybe a bent wheel or bulging sidewall?

If I were going to change them out, I'd be tempted to go with 5000 or 5200 lb axles. It won't increase your trailer capacity, but it'll give you more leeway in the axles.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
There are 4K axles currently installed from the factory, trailer supposedly weighs 7100lbs dry with 1500lbs of payload. Is 4K per axle enough or should they be higher?
One thing to keep in mind when sizing axles, ~10% of the trailers weight is supported either by the tongue jack or on the vehicle when hitched up. The two 4k axles are fine when fully loaded (7100 + 1500 = 8600 x .9 = 7740). Going bigger never hurts but hate to see money spent when not necessary.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Did you rotate that tire to see if it was maybe a bent wheel or bulging sidewall?

If I were going to change them out, I'd be tempted to go with 5000 or 5200 lb axles. It won't increase your trailer capacity, but it'll give you more leeway in the axles.
I rotated the wheel a few times to see if it looked out of round & then measured at different spots along the tire to confirm the gap.

Iím more than likely going to upgrade the axles when I replace them, gave all the tag info to a friend of mine who is a distributor for Dexter. Heís going to ask the questions on my behalf, get the recommendations & place the order.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrodoh View Post
One thing to keep in mind when sizing axles, ~10% of the trailers weight is supported either by the tongue jack or on the vehicle when hitched up. The two 4k axles are fine when fully loaded (7100 + 1500 = 8600 x .9 = 7740). Going bigger never hurts but hate to see money spent when not necessary.
Good point, I couldnít quite get the math figured out in my head but felt the 4K axles were probably close. Iím in no rush to spend money needlessly but if upping the size makes sense then thatís the plan. I want something safe & more importantly I want to do it right.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
Good point, I couldnít quite get the math figured out in my head but felt the 4K axles were probably close. Iím in no rush to spend money needlessly but if upping the size makes sense then thatís the plan. I want something safe & more importantly I want to do it right.
If you go with new axles it won't cost that much more to go with 5000 or 5200 lbs axles and you would be better off . i know the math tw carries 10 to 15 % of the weight and that fine and dandy while parked sitting still . once you head down the road bumps and dips will cause full TT weight on the TT axles and then some . if people would figure weights without the myth of the TW carrying the weight they would avoid problems IMO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bent, upgrade, weight