Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Adding shocks to 5th wheel

Had anyone thought about adding shock absorbers to their 5th wheel or travel trailer? How u could do it? Would u have to make mount brackets, what type shock would u use? I think it’s needed, if u ride in your rv while someone drives it across a parking lot, it bounces and jolts really hard, it seems to me shocks would soften the tide and take out a lot of the bumping and jarring,, that has to be rough on the RV and anything inside of it, any comments?
tkgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

etrailer.com sells kits

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus.../LC281255.html
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Always Learning

I added the Joy Rider shocks:

RV Improvement Systems
Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I added shocks to my 5er and the biggest thing I noticed was that it settled down quicker after a bump, which stands to reason. Easy to add, just make sure you know where your tanks are. The can be right up against the frame rail.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

Shocks

Aqua man, did u make your own muonts and weld them on or buy a kit? The kits I have seen so far are very expensive, I can weld and drill, was hoping to make and install myself
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

I added the JoyRyder shocks. Then I took 'em off and got Independent Suspension. Man o man, what a difference. I couldn't notice any change with the shocks.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I couldn't notice any change with the shocks.
I didn't say it, but I have to admit- I didn't tell a whole lot of change with them added.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkgraves View Post
Aqua man, did u make your own muonts and weld them on or buy a kit? The kits I have seen so far are very expensive, I can weld and drill, was hoping to make and install myself

I bought the kits, but they were cheaper. The kits simply attach with self tapping screws. As others have said, not a huge noticeable difference. Depends on the size of the 5er, smaller may benefit more.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

I would think that adding shocks would significantly increase vibrations while parked.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Had anyone thought about adding shock absorbers to their 5th wheel or travel trailer? How u could do it? Would u have to make mount brackets, what type shock would u use? I think it’s needed, if u ride in your rv while someone drives it across a parking lot, it bounces and jolts really hard, it seems to me shocks would soften the tide and take out a lot of the bumping and jarring,, that has to be rough on the RV and anything inside of it, any comments?
Just saying adding shocks for 5th or TT means nothing,the Type of Suspension is the Main issue! Youroo!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I would think that adding shocks would significantly increase vibrations while parked.

You mean movement inside while people walk around? No real change there.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

The average RV comes with the cheapest suspension they can get away with. My first choice in upgrading is to go to MORryde Products and decide what is an affordable upgrade for me. They have better, affordable, replacement components as well as full replacement upgrades including Disc Brakes.

If you go back and read the "ependydad" account of his suspension wows you will have a better understanding of how well (or Not) these things are constructed.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
The average RV comes with the cheapest suspension they can get away with. My first choice in upgrading is to go to MORryde Products and decide what is an affordable upgrade for me. They have better, affordable, replacement components as well as full replacement upgrades including Disc Brakes.

If you go back and read the "ependydad" account of his suspension wows you will have a better understanding of how well (or Not) these things are constructed.
I'm not sure I can agree with you.

My average Flagstaff 5th wheel came with Dexter Torsion axles. I don't know of anything better that could go under it than what came on the trailer.

And while I agree ependydad had issues (thank goodness he got it fixed) it isn't like you see units littered across the highways with broken down suspensions. Have there been some issues, sure. Does everyone have issues, no. I see no reason to rush out and upgrade my suspension based on what I've seen/experienced.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post

Just buy a Fifth Wheel with MORryde, thats why I went to SOB for more trailer with all the features and less money than a new Columbus.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #15

Apropos of nothing, when I was at MorRyde getting Independent Suspension last year, half-built Grand Design trailers were brought in daily. They get I.S. as standard equipment. After install of I.S. at MorRyde shop, they go back to their factory to be finished.

After hearing about all the wet bolts breaking, experiencing the terrible ride, hearing about bent axles, I just bit the bullet and did I.S. It is worth every penny.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Apropos of nothing, when I was at MorRyde getting Independent Suspension last year, half-built Grand Design trailers were brought in daily. They get I.S. as standard equipment. After install of I.S. at MorRyde shop, they go back to their factory to be finished.

After hearing about all the wet bolts breaking, experiencing the terrible ride, hearing about bent axles, I just bit the bullet and did I.S. It is worth every penny.
I just have to ask, what was the cost to convert your suspension?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #17

Shocks

Bandjcarm, you mentioned broken wet bolts, I was just thinking of ordering a kit, but now am having second thoughts, what are your thoughts on installing them, and an alternative, I was thinking of removing the shackles and then drilling, tapping holes and installing grease fittings, and then lubing the bushings every few months, please tell me what u think of that
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #18

DDC, I paid $3,300 I think (trusting my memory) for the I.S. I put on 7K axles but with 8K bushings. I think 8K axles are a bit higher. I already had disc brakes when I got it. They removed them, and reinstalled them. They install disc brakes also, had I not already had them. It's a 2 day installation at Elkhart factory, but they take great care of you and you can stay in the rig.

TK, I'm NOT the expert on that. I got rid of conventional axles before I had any problems. Many others have had problems, wet bolts breaking, axles bending. To be honest, 75% of the reason I did the I.S. was to improve a very bumpy ride (it did that!). But 25% was to avoid having ANY issues with the conventional axles and wet bolts, etc. I realize my method has cheaper alternatives............

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Bandjcarm, you mentioned broken wet bolts, I was just thinking of ordering a kit, but now am having second thoughts, what are your thoughts on installing them, and an alternative, I was thinking of removing the shackles and then drilling, tapping holes and installing grease fittings, and then lubing the bushings every few months, please tell me what u think of that
Unless you use "Wet Bolts" how do you propose to grease the bushing "Inside the Spring eyelet"? Youroo!!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #20

Shocks

Yooroo, I was thinking possibly also drill a hole, tap it to size of grease fitting if possible, maybe the spring metal is to hard to drill and tap, if so I was thinking of taking the spring bushing/bolt and greasing it when I repack my wheel bearings and adjust brakes, what do u think, I am concerned that wet bolts will break or bend because they are drilled out to allow grease flow thru them to bushings.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel