Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Adjusting Brakes on Travel Trailer

Was wondering how often and when you need to adjust the electric brakes on a travel trailer?
Don1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #2

I thought most were self-adjusting.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Most are self adjusting, but you need to check and make sure that yours are. Even if they are you should inspect and adjust them manually once every year or two just to make sure they're in good shape and wearing properly.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I thought most were self-adjusting.
When I was shopping last year it was about 50/50. It seems that self-adjusting is becoming more common.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Most are self adjusting, but you need to check and make sure that yours are. Even if they are you should inspect and adjust them manually once every year or two just to make sure they're in good shape and wearing properly.
Self adjusting brakes have been around so long pretty much all bugs have been worked out. Only one remaining is RUST. If the adjuster itself seizes up due to rust or corrosion they no longer adjust.
When pulling drums to check lining wear check to make sure adjuster wheel is free to move. If not remove, clean, and Lube with a corrosion inhibiting Lube. Over the years I've found the silver colored anti-seizure to work great. Unlike oils it doesn't drip and it's both heat resistant as well as an anti corrosion aid.

Also, rather than blowing off all the brake dust it's better to hose down the shoes and backing plates with brake cleaner OR just a mixture of Dish Detergent and water. Use a stiff brush and clean good. Rinse well and then blow dry. A leaf blower works well at this stage. Some white grease under shoes where they contact backing plate (lift gently with screwdriver) and service adjuster as described earlier. Brakes will be great until next inspect.

As for manually adjusting, one certainly can but it's better to make sure the self adjusters are working. Once checked and serviced if necessary, a few stops as Dexter recommends and they do all the adjusting necessary (and aren't adjusted too tight).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Thanks for the helpful information, planning on taking a trip out west this coming spring so I don't want to have any issues with that long of a trip.
Don1425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trailer, travel, travel trailer