Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

Advice on new tires

I bought my first TT almost a year and a half ago. It is a 33' Rockwood Ultra-Lite. I have heard horror stories about the cheap Castle Rock tires that come from the factory. I have less then 500 miles on mine and already experienced a blow out on my last trip home. Mind you, I am a stickler for checking nitrogen pressure, (65 psi) and I never drive over 55, as I am still a bit nervous pulling my trailer. My question is this, I have heard very good reviews about the Goodyear Endurance, (ST225/75R15) although my trailer came with load range D tires, max psi of 65. These new tires are max rated psi at 80 and load range E. Should I run the new tires at 80, and do I need to verify that my factory rims can hold this new pressure. Also, I have heard both arguments for balancing trailer tires, I am trying to get info on this also. Thanks
jjcooler65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcooler65 View Post
I bought my first TT almost a year and a half ago. It is a 33' Rockwood Ultra-Lite. I have heard horror stories about the cheap Castle Rock tires that come from the factory. I have less then 500 miles on mine and already experienced a blow out on my last trip home. Mind you, I am a stickler for checking nitrogen pressure, (65 psi) and I never drive over 55, as I am still a bit nervous pulling my trailer. My question is this, I have heard very good reviews about the Goodyear Endurance, (ST225/75R15) although my trailer came with load range D tires, max psi of 65. These new tires are max rated psi at 80 and load range E. Should I run the new tires at 80, and do I need to verify that my factory rims can hold this new pressure. Also, I have heard both arguments for balancing trailer tires, I am trying to get info on this also. Thanks
Yes, you can move up to a E tire your rims will be fine. Being it's a ST I would run them at the sidewall pressure. I would also have them balanced.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcooler65 View Post
Just a few notes on your post.

You have eliminated speed and inflation pressures from suspected causes of your early tire failure.

What is often overlooked is the condition of the tires at the time of first sale. How long had the trailer been setting at the dealer location before you got it? Another factor is delivery. There is no way of checking their servicing and use during that transit. Tire damage is cumulative and it's not going to show itself until failure if it was internally inflicted.

Is your trailer over weight? Was the wheel position of the failure over weight?

The OEM wheels, at the very minimum, are certified for your trailer's maximum weight. If they do not have a PSI rating they will sustain the 80 PSI necessary for the extra load capacity the LRE tires will provide in reserve. Otherwise, there is hardly any advantage of increasing the load range.

Make sure you have new valve stems with a PSI rating equal to the 80 PSI.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #4

Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis M8008 both have great reputations. Most folks in my group running ST tires use Maxxis, as the Endurance is still fairly new.
Always go up a load range if you can.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Commercial Member

If you get LR-E tires they will only support their stated load if you inflate to the stated inflation pressure as it is the air pressure that supports the load, not the tire structure.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Endurance tires

I just bought Goodyear Endurance load range E tires. I have Rockwood Windjammer and about same size trailer. You won’t go wrong and rims will be okay..
Aggie Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Tires

I've got a flagstaff Classic Ultralite 8528RKWS which came with load range C "china bombs". I replaced them with load range E "Indonesia bombs" and I just replaced them with MAXXIS M8008 load range E.

Don't forget the valve stems may need replacement to handle the 80 PSI.

We're doing another cross country trip later this summer so we'll have more to say about the MAXXIS tires after another 10,000 miles.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

Tires

I switched to Endurance over a year ago to get a larger, higher load rated tires. Great tires, a little more stable and everything good about them. I would suggest looking at the GY size chart they have on their web on tire diameter, go a width wider if you have room. You may have to stay @ 65 PSI due to wheel rating. I would not suggest driving @ 80 MPH. slow to 65 and enjoy the view. I suggest many of the tire failures are from higher speeds. Also, IF you do blow a tire at 80, think of the damage IT WILL DO to the side of your trailer.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #9

I bought GY endurance tires for my wildwood when I bought the trailer new. I’ve had them 3 years now with zero problems. They hold air great and have been fantastic. I bought my tires at discount tire and they balanced them for me and I rotate them in the spring every year. I have about 5000 miles on them so far and they still look brand new.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
I bought GY endurance tires for my wildwood when I bought the trailer new. I’ve had them 3 years now with zero problems. They hold air great and have been fantastic. I bought my tires at discount tire and they balanced them for me and I rotate them in the spring every year. I have about 5000 miles on them so far and they still look brand new.
I thought they came out Jan 2017.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
Sounds good, that's a recommendation. You must have got them when they were F rist introduced. I bet you don't drive 80 mph with a ST tire. I have been waiting to hear how they are holding up for people.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis M8008 both have great reputations. Most folks in my group running ST tires use Maxxis, as the Endurance is still fairly new.
Always go up a load range if you can.
On my second set of Goodyear’s. The current Endurance tire replaces their original ST ( can’t remember what it was called). Put 45000 miles in first set including about 3000miles of gravel road ( Dalton in Alaska and the Trans Labrador Highway). Have not had even one flat. Check pressure twice a week on long hauls and rotate once a year. Have tires balanced . I’m not a speed demon and 100kph ( 62 mph) is my max when towing. Enjoy your new Goodyear’s. Also make sure you have your torque spec for your Lippert axles because most tire shops won’t have it.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #13

Tires

I would also get new steel valve stems.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I would also get new steel valve stems.

Yes!!! Do not try to run E rated 80PSI tires on the stock Lionshead rims without steel valve stems. You will blow out a rubber valve stem, been there done that with a Rockwood Ultra Light 5er.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #15

X2 Goodyear Endurance tires at Discount Tire, or, here in California, America's Tire. The shops are part of the same parent company. I've watched their technicians do their thing, and they are good at their jobs. If there is a shop near you, go watch and see for yourself. The work they do is warranted across the country at all their outlets.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #16

I think by now...2-3 years we would be hearing something as they are being watched carefully.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I thought they came out Jan 2017.
I believe you are correct.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #18

Got the Endurance tires first year they were out (or close). This is our third year with them and they have been absolutely great tires. Yes, you need new valve stems and a good wheel balance (preferably spin balance with the new pad weights inside the rim. GoodYear company store did ours and the date on the tires indicated they were only a week old when we got them. Also went from a C to an E load range. Better sidewall protection, and more tire stability, but, in talking to the people at GoodYear, they said to inflate to the normal pressure on the trailer sticker for proper ride. I actually am using 60lbs. rather than the 50 called for (but not the 80 on the sidewall) and find that has worked well so far. Over inflating (in this case to sidewall max pressure) can also cause problems with suspension as the super hard tires (for the trailer weight rating) can be like rolling with concrete tires especially when you hit a bump. I really like the extra safety the E rated tires give me just in case we hit a big pothole or something because they are tougher and take the added weight caused by trailer bounce on a road obstruction.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #19

Rally seminar

Michelin puts on seminars about tires that are interesting. Not necessarily to sell their tire.
Trailer tires are rated and tested at the same load, because they do not carry people. They recommended LT tires is possible, where these are tested at 150% of the rating.
Other comments above about speed, stems are wonderful.
Thanks

Sold my trailer, had 3 tires go in two years, One each trip. Had enough.
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #20

Replaced my Carlisles with a set of GY endurance about a year ago. I noticed a towing improvement immediatly?. I keep the at 80 psi and normally drive at 63-65mph. I believe some of the "China Bomb" stories may be the result of under pressure and or excessive speed. My China made Carlisles served me well for 4 years of heavy service.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires