Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #1

Air Compressor

What brands of 12V air compressors does everyone carry in the camper? They range from about $30 to $400 so I'm looking for most reliable for the money. There are several $50-$75 brands on amazon that look very similar to the Viair compressors but at a fraction of the cost.
Bamalivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

If 12v is your jam I'd do the viair or arb. I carry a 120 kobalt one from Lowes. But I also always haul a geni to run it if needed.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Search 'air compressor' on the site. There are a thousand reviews and posts.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Search 'air compressor' on the site. There are a thousand reviews and posts.
X2

or search for Viair to save time!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Casual Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamalivin View Post
What brands of 12V air compressors does everyone carry in the camper?
Not sure about everyone, but we got a Viair. Spendy, but quality. I figured if I need a compressor on the road, I want to be sure that it will work.
RV - 2021 Rockwood 2608BS
Ex-tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
X2

or search for Viair to save time!
Yeah thanks. I did that at nausea. The search algorithm is so flooded that nothing of any benefit came up. I appreciate the help though.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah thanks. I did that at nausea. The search algorithm is so flooded that nothing of any benefit came up. I appreciate the help though.
Did you use the search next to REGISTRY or next to New Posts? Thanks

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Which one "should" we use for best results?
Old 11-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Ive used both. The one next to registry seems to be an internet search instead of a site search. Pretty much useless. The search function next to new posts seems to find every time the word air or compressor is used. If you search for either word individually about all you get is A/C or refrigerator posts. I have also searched Viair but im looking for reviews and opinions of cheaper brands.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

When you search 'air compressor' using that little search window at top right corner of page when you have a list of threads showing, just to the right of the window make sure FRF is clicked on, not GOOGLE.

Then, the results shown, although it looks like a google search, are all Forest River Forum results. I just tried it and it shows a lot of threads of 'what kind of air compressor is everyone using' types.

**edit - this is for the regular web page, not sure how it displays on a phone, as I only use the phone browser for emergencies.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Ive used both. The one next to registry seems to be an internet search instead of a site search. Pretty much useless. The search function next to new posts seems to find every time the word air or compressor is used. If you search for either word individually about all you get is A/C or refrigerator posts. I have also searched Viair but im looking for reviews and opinions of cheaper brands.
I have the HF clone of the Viair that most think is the best thing since sectioned tp. It goes to 150 psi. Works fine though very infrequently used. I have a compressor in garage plus a Makita with 2 gal tank which I use way more. I prefer something with a reservoir tank since I use blow gun just as often or more than filling tires. Pancake compressor or small hot dog style can be done for way less and better utility. The HF goes in the truck just in case. My 2 cents!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
When you search 'air compressor' using that little search window at top right corner of page when you have a list of threads showing, just to the right of the window make sure FRF is clicked on, not GOOGLE.

Then, the results shown, although it looks like a google search, are all Forest River Forum results. I just tried it and it shows a lot of threads of 'what kind of air compressor is everyone using' types.

**edit - this is for the regular web page, not sure how it displays on a phone, as I only use the phone browser for emergencies.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I have the HF clone of the Viair that most think is the best thing since sectioned tp. It goes to 150 psi. Works fine though very infrequently used. I have a compressor in garage plus a Makita with 2 gal tank which I use way more. I prefer something with a reservoir tank since I use blow gun just as often or more than filling tires. Pancake compressor or small hot dog style can be done for way less and better utility. The HF goes in the truck just in case. My 2 cents!
HF being harbor freight? I am strictly looking for a 12v emergency type compressor to get out of a pinch while out on the road or topping off tires before leaving a RV park..... that kind of thing. I have a big compressor at home which takes care of the big stuff.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #13

I use a Ryobi air pump goes to 120psi I believe. I set my desired psi it fills one PSI past then shuts off. It fills the inflatable kayak and floatys as well. Its not the fastest but no need to plug in. Since I usually carry the Ryobi impact gun and drill I always have the charger in the trailer
moose074 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #14

Several years ago I went into my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store and bought a 12v compressor for around $80. Looked and felt solid. Biggest thing for me was that it had battery clamps and substantial wire gauge.

I had enough previous experience with 12v compressors that plug into cigarette lighter sockets burning up socket, wire, or motor.

Mine has been working fine since purchased those years ago and it gets used regularly when topping tires off as weather cools.

I'm sure the price has gone up but I don't believe one has to spend several hundred $$ for a reliable 12v compressor just used for pumping up a tire or maintaining tire pressures.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:27 AM   #15

Dont forget to carry at least two spare tires and a high quality tire repair kit (not the garbage ones in local Dollar General stores) along with an air compressor on any long trip.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote