Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #1

All Terrain trailer tires

Hello,

Iíve got a 2019 NoBo 19.5. Iím considering upgrading the tires as reading through this forum makes me paranoid about blowouts. 😉

The trailer is equipped with ďall-terrainĒ tires. What are the benefits at this type of trailer tire? The recommendations seems to generally be for normal tires. Is there an exceptional AT trailer tire that you would recommend? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Nate
NateA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #2

My understanding of the "All Terrain" designation on tires refers to the tread design and its ability to provide traction on all surfaces and resist tread face puncture. On a trailer I think it is more of a sales pitch like nitrogen in the tires. Maybe one of the actual tire guys will chime in soon. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #3

I never understood the need for rugged tread on a trailer tire.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Maybe not a need, but for aesthetic purposes. Similar to graphics and striping.

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateA View Post
Hello,

Iíve got a 2019 NoBo 19.5. Iím considering upgrading the tires as reading through this forum makes me paranoid about blowouts. 😉

The trailer is equipped with ďall-terrainĒ tires. What are the benefits at this type of trailer tire? The recommendations seems to generally be for normal tires. Is there an exceptional AT trailer tire that you would recommend? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Nate
I just realized this is your first post and I didn't welcome you to the forum so welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #6

What brand AT tires do you have? Most of the “blow-out” comments are based on chinese made trailer tires. Its very likely the ATs on your trailer are LT (light truck) tires and are much much less susceptible to the china bomb syndrome.

A major cause of tire failure is low pressure, so keep the tires inflated properly.

I’ve had excellent results from multiple sets of Goodrich ATs. Multiple sets due to personal and business vehicles.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Team

I think I read that Lionshead who provides forest river with tires/wheels has an all terrain ST tire....and if I remember right it's in a 235/75/15 size too. Let me see if I can find that thread as my memory isn't too good.

Edit: here is an example of what I was remembering

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...e/WST54FR.html

If I eat myself will I become twice as big?...or disappear all together?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #8

Cooper AT3 is a good all terrain tire at a very reasonable price.
2013 4WD RAM 3500 Cummins TD SBCC
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #9

My original Flagstaff popup trailer had the Hercules 235/75R15 AT tires on it. It had the deck out front that I hauled my quad on. This trailer had great ground clearance for back country travel.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #10

Since this is a trailer built for back country type travel geared toward the adventurer then the bigger tire and added ground clearance is a benefit. And since this is a single axle unit then a heavier tire is a sure benefit.
I really wouldn't worry too much about replacing them.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The advantage is less potential for lateral slipping when rolling through mud, snow and sand.

If you never camp anyplace other than campgrounds that are flat, paved or well maintained gravel roads then the aesthetic could be a good enough reason.

With the FR line though, the sport tire and wheel package does add about about 3-1/2Ē of total lift so there is the greater ground clearance.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

I think it will depend on what you expect to do with the trailer. If you plan to "off road" it, then I would go with an LT type tire designed to take rough use with a stiffer sidewall. If you just plan to road it, then why bother with the all terrain type tires. Buy good quality, (Endurance, Salun,)etc. tires. I still am an advocate of LT tires, for the road, but we've argued that to death here. Do a search of the type of tires on Forest River Forums and you'll get a good idea of the opinions for that tire. Just plan on reading a little back and forth.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #13

FR usually puts West Lakes on their "off road" TTs. They are a Chinese tire made by Lions Head. They have a 1 year warranty ()

I ordered my Wolf Pup 16BHS Black Label with the Adventure package and got the lift, bigger axle, and these tires. We'll see how they do.

I'll verify what WanderMore said. The lift is pretty decent. I've attached a comparison pic of my 16BHSBL + Adventure with a "standard" BHS next door. A bigger difference than I was expecting. I have a driveway with a sharp grade change and this height helped prevent scraping as I backed in. It should also help clearing some creek crossing I'll have to do in northeastern Iowa trout country .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210203_153243784_HDR.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	247561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210203_114522690.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	247562
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #14

That looks like the tires I have. We probably towed in them 6-7000 miles last year and so far have had no issues. I feel like I got lucky as I definitely wasnít checking the tire pressure as often as I should.

Iím looking into Tpms sensors and contemplating new tires.

I appreciate all the information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3B8C23E-F3B1-4B49-B196-9DCDE6BD367B.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	247576  
NateA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:38 PM   #15

We had LT's on our 179 and ST's on the 195. We don't really need the traction tire on a trailer, but like the added height and perhaps off road stability. But can't say it really adds to the performance on unpaved, gravel, mud roads over other tires. What is important, and needs to be checked is the condition of the inside sidewall especially on the passenger side where drifting off the paved surface on narrow paved roads common on many more rural areas that can cause cuts, gouges in the rubber. The LT's held up real well; have not put enough miles on the ST's to give a meaningful opinion.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:55 AM   #16

BF GoodrichAll Terrain Radials XO2 tires are one of the top of the line tires for tow vehicles for off road use. They have more plys in the sidewalls which prevents rocks from punching through. A stiffer sidewall also provides stability. On the down side, they reduce your gas mileage a bit. On a muddy out-sloped road, that extra tread could save you, but I try to avoid pulling a travel trailer on that kind of road. That said, the road could be fine on the way in and soaked on the way out. Recently read posts about chaining your trailer tires on ice and snow.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #17

wmtire, just took the time to look at the link in your message. Thank you for the info; spot on as usual.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
FR usually puts West Lakes on their "off road" TTs. They are a Chinese tire made by Lions Head. They have a 1 year warranty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateA View Post
That looks like the tires I have. We probably towed in them 6-7000 miles last year and so far have had no issues. I feel like I got lucky as I definitely wasn’t checking the tire pressure as often as I should. ....
We have those Westlakes on our R-Pod 195 (OEM) and they have gone > 10,000 miles with no issues. Look almost new. Keep 'em around 65 PSI and don't go > 65MPH. Pod only weighs in at about 4200 lbs but it is a single-axle.
PodGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have the OEM Westlakes on my GeoPro, they came with offroad package and have been great. I disagree with the opinion the more aggressive tread is not useful. I towed over a dirt mountain road in Vermont (never would have driven it if the sign wasn't knocked down on one side of mountain!)and was fighting for traction. I do believe the more aggressive tread aided in side slip of the trailer.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I have the OEM Westlakes on my GeoPro, they came with offroad package and have been great. I disagree with the opinion the more aggressive tread is not useful. I towed over a dirt mountain road in Vermont (never would have driven it if the sign wasn't knocked down on one side of mountain!)and was fighting for traction. I do believe the more aggressive tread aided in side slip of the trailer.
Plus they are much cooler looking than other OEM tires that I've seen.
PodGeek is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer