Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
I may not get up to 99mph, but with this rating I don't have to worry about staying with the flow of traffic at 70mph!
True enough, and if you get in traffic anywhere near some of the larger cities, it isn't very safe doddling along at 50 mph.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
True enough, and if you get in traffic anywhere near some of the larger cities, it isn't very safe doddling along at 50 mph.
Don't have any problems at 55-60 around any big city in the US. Sure don't want to be doing 70+ with all the idiots trying to merge and change lanes.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't have any problems at 55-60 around any big city in the US. Sure don't want to be doing 70+ with all the idiots trying to merge and change lanes.
Then you have never come into Denver from the west!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Then you have never come into Denver from the west!
Denver (N,S,E,W) Houston, New Orlean, Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Kansas City, Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Boston, etc.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #25

Quote:
You may not have any problems driving 20 mph slower than the traffic, but I wonder what they are saying as they maneuver around you!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You may not have any problems driving 20 mph slower than the traffic, but I wonder what they are saying as they maneuver around you!
Not to be crass, but as long as I keep a steady pace @ 60-65, I really don't care what they are saying. Speed limit is 65, so who's unsafe?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post

I just put 4 new tires on my trailer last month. They were the Good Year Marathon tires. They have a manufacture date of 0613 so I would assume the 6th week of 2013. With your statement I must assume they are China-Bombs since Made in China is stamped on the side of them also.

OP buy what ever you feel comfortable having installed on your trailer. It still is your trailer. I do agree have them balanced I did and could feel the difference in the pull.
Goodyear still has quality control on those tires no matter where they're made, so NO, they're not China Bombs.

I don't understand telling someone "do whatever you want". They could have done that without seek opinions here (and your statement is not an "opinion").
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Not to be crass, but as long as I keep a steady pace @ 60-65, I really don't care what they are saying. Speed limit is 65, so who's unsafe?
You did say you drove at 55-60 before.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who is right, the fact is that when the mass of traffic is doing a certain speed, say 75 mph, and someone is doing 55 mph, it is the slow vehicle that creates the unsafe condition. majority always rules.
But I am in your corner, and wish everyone would just use their heads and slow down. The sad reality is that the majority of drivers don't realise how quickly you can die in a traffic accident.
I will actually go out of my way to avoid the bigger cities.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #29

I think we just hijacked another thread.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You did say you drove at 55-60 before.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who is right, the fact is that when the mass of traffic is doing a certain speed, say 75 mph, and someone is doing 55 mph, it is the slow vehicle that creates the unsafe condition. majority always rules.
But I am in your corner, and wish everyone would just use their heads and slow down. The sad reality is that the majority of drivers don't realise how quickly you can die in a traffic accident.
I will actually go out of my way to avoid the bigger cities.
I try to go with the flow, but will not exceed 65, but it's not like they can't see an rv, it didn't just pop up in front of them out of nowhere and being in the center or rh lane (if at all possible), there are 2 or more lanes for them.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #31

Old 05-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #32

Our the 857 a good tire ? I'm getting ready to upgrade before my next trip. I have about 3000 miles on the factory tires. They don't look the best. Worn on the inside of the tire. I was running to fast before I knew the speed rating and overheated the tires.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #33

Good Morning I asked DH about this as he has taken good care of our vehicles, tires, etc. IMHO <3

His advice (talking to me who knows nothing about this) was to purchase the best trailer tire you can reasonably afford. He stated you would do best with a 3 ply or 4 ply tire with good treadwear (the higher the better). He checked our new Roo and was pleased (not!) that they were not what he would have bought, but they seem ok for now, will watch them. He also treats the tires and keeps them covered to reduce dry rot. He also agreed that you need to check the tire pressure each time you leave for a trip.

He mentioned liking Cooper tires, overall, but didn't know if they make a trailer tire or not; didn't seem to have a preference as to a brand of trailer tire. He still avoids Firestone.

Blow outs are scary, I'd be freaked out too......
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack21643 View Post
I just got my new issue of Trailer Life Magazine a few days ago and they had a very good article about tire choices and things to look for. If you dont get it I'm sure you can find it online or at your local magazine shop.
That article has been added to the "Herkbrary." I am unable to post it as it is copywrited. If you join Good Sam; their magazine is awesome. Their "Tech Tips section is so good they have been booking them up and selling it separately. I keep Vol 1-3 in the camper.

Thanks for reminding me! I need to see if there is a Vol 4!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #35

Hey all! Wanted to come full circle here and post an update to close this one out. I've purchased 5 new tires (changed out the spare, too) and just received the TST 507 TPMS system today. Really pleased with all the discussion and opinions on this subject.

We're pulling out on Tuesday for a trip to Indiana's Brown County State Park for some mountain biking and general good times. This is a primer for a road trip in a few weeks to the Buffalo River in Arkansas for some kayaking (and tubing for the DW).

We'll definitely be more comfortable with the trip being able to monitor our tires and be aware of what's going on. Thanks again for all the knowledge and experience helping us out!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #36

If you we're really brave you'd post what brand of tires you bought. :-)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #37

I thought about that... But figured the follow-on discussion would kill me....anyway, here goes... I put Carlisle ST 215 P75r14's on her. Let the stones begin...
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post
I thought about that... But figured the follow-on discussion would kill me....anyway, here goes... I put Carlisle ST 215 P75r14's on her. Let the stones begin...
Hey,Carlisle Tires are great,I have over 100 Trips around my yard ! Turf Tracks! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Hey all! Wanted to come full circle here and post an update to close this one out. I've purchased 5 new tires (changed out the spare, too) and just received the TST 507 TPMS system today. Really pleased with all the discussion and opinions on this subject.

We're pulling out on Tuesday for a trip to Indiana's Brown County State Park for some mountain biking and general good times. This is a primer for a road trip in a few weeks to the Buffalo River in Arkansas for some kayaking (and tubing for the DW).

We'll definitely be more comfortable with the trip being able to monitor our tires and be aware of what's going on. Thanks again for all the knowledge and experience helping us out!
Important to inspect your tires as well. I was surprised after winter storage that one of ours had developed a number of cracks in the side wall (dry rot?). The tire was promptly replaced.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #40

Quote:
None of us on this forum would ever criticize your decision since it was clearly well-informed (by us) and what was right for you. ;-) We appreciate you volunteering to be a product tester so we can have a reasoned opinion on this brand of tire.