Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

Anyone install locking lug nuts?

Hey fellas I am new to this RV life and plan my first long trip over the cold months and my thought is since I just dropped a few dollars on a complete set of Goodyear Endurance tires I feel I need to add a set of locking lug nuts. I haven't found my lug size but did find that the lug nuts are the same thread size as my E-Z-Go golf cart.
Anyways if you happen to know the lug size Forest River is using or know of a link to where I might find out the correct size please share it with me. You may just save me a 20 mile trip to the hardware store just to figure out what size I need.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #2

Why?

I have owned five different trailers over the years since the 70's. I never have needed locking lug nuts on any of them. i do not believe there is much of a secondary market for stolen trailer tires.

Save your money, I have never read on any RV Forum of someone having his trailer tires stolen.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Mc Guard has them . google it.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Why?

I have owned five different trailers over the years since the 70's. I never have needed locking lug nuts on any of them. i do not believe there is much of a secondary market for stolen trailer tires.

Save your money, I have never read on any RV Forum of someone having his trailer tires stolen.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

If lug nuts are probably torqued they do not come off.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #6

Never used locks, never missing tires.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #7

We have them on ours, we got the locks when we upgraded the wheels and tires. Cheap insurance, they won’t stop the experienced or determined thief but they will keep the honest honest and prevent crimes of opportunity.

Not all of our camping is in the wilderness, some of it is close to large-ish cities, where crime might be a little more likely. Like I said, I’m sure it’s rare but it’s a cheap way to deter theft, at least.

As to robbiels7 comment, you may have now ascertained that the locking nuts are for theft prevention, not to keep them from coming loose on their own.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
If lug nuts are probably torqued they do not come off.
I think you might be missing the purpose of locking lug nuts.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #9

Anyone who steals trailer tires does not read trailer forums. Even with endurance tires...but then again I bet one of wmtires customers has come in wanting a trailer tire mounted to their vehicle.

I would save the money unless you put some gold wheels on the trailer but do what makes you happy. Just don't loose the key when you get a flat.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:54 PM   #10

I feel like they are more trouble than they are worth. Unlike theft from autos, where thieves are more interested in the WHEELS than the TIRES, I've never heard of people targeting trailer tires. I am sure there are some on here who will have stories to contradict me, but I feel like it is more likely your enire trailer would be stolen before just the wheels were stripped.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:22 AM   #11

The last set of locking lug nuts I had on anything was in the 70s. If you do buy some, don't lose that key
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #12

I’m not worried about wheels on my trailers or MH but the Jeep toad has three locks installed. Although only one is needed it looks better with all three the same.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Why?

Agree with the above. Have had trailers since the 1980’s - hauled from Ontario to Texas for the winter- never had a worry about my tires. Save your money and buy a good lock for your surge protection device. These take a walk, but tires not so much.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
Hey fellas I am new to this RV life and plan my first long trip over the cold months and my thought is since I just dropped a few dollars on a complete set of Goodyear Endurance tires I feel I need to add a set of locking lug nuts. I haven't found my lug size but did find that the lug nuts are the same thread size as my E-Z-Go golf cart.
Anyways if you happen to know the lug size Forest River is using or know of a link to where I might find out the correct size please share it with me. You may just save me a 20 mile trip to the hardware store just to figure out what size I need.

The stud size and thread pitch can be dependent on your axle ratings.

Just taking a guess at what I think you have, you may have what is going to require the common 1/2X20 lug nut size. A pic would sure help a lot.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Never used locks, never missing tires.
It is not the tires that a thief wants from an RV....Rims are more expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
It is not the tires that a thief wants from an RV....Rims are more expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goodyear Endurance Tires are about $190 each. Going to need some awfully fancy trailer rims to spend $190 for a trailer rim.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
D W

Locking lug nuts are a "feel good" thing. Like any other lock, they only keep an honest person honest. If thieves want your wheels, they have the tools to take them.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
The first time you need to change a tire and can't find the adapter you will understand why most folks don't have them.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #19

I have them removed from everything I own. They can be very difficult to remove when changing a tire with the included tools most vehicles come with these days. If you're not able to perfectly center the key, you'll end up stripping it out. It's easy with an impact, but requires a lot of physical strength to do with a tiny lug wrench. They want to cam out on you if you can't hold enough forward force as you try to apply pressure on the lug wrench, then they strip.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #20

I bought 6 new tires for my 23' T/T and put locking lug nuts on each lug. America's Tire gave me a whole box of them so I put them all on! Plus 5 "keys" so I won't run out of keys. I also have a hi-torque DeWalt 20V impact that works great on them.
robertrfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock