Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #21

The only trouble I had was somebody tried to steal my spare 5 years ago. We were at a campground outside of Mesa Verde Nat'l Park Colorado. As soon as let the dog out they were gone. I now have it chained and padlocked.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #22

From mechanic to wrecker drivers the only guy who recommended wheel locks was the guy who sold them. Everyone else had stories about the owner of the key not being present when it was needed, or so gunked up they couldn't get the key to work, or they simply caused more cussing than security. I'm with the thin blue line Irishman; 28 yrs of covering thefts, etc. never had one involving travel trailer tires/wheels.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Welder View Post
The only trouble I had was somebody tried to steal my spare 5 years ago. We were at a campground outside of Mesa Verde Nat'l Park Colorado. As soon as let the dog out they were gone. I now have it chained and padlocked.
Did you drive/walk through the campground looking for the trailer with the flat tire?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #24

I only have a wheel lock on my spare tire!
Riverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #25

But I’ve had both my Propane tanks stolen, when it was in a locked storage yard. Now I have a cable running thru them with a padlock.
Riverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #26

Thanks for your opinions, butt

I have 2 sets laying in the shop, 1 of which is 1/2 x 20 and they don't fit. Guess I will check out the Mc Guard site to see if they posted thread size.
And yes, it does make me feel better just having them.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #27

I'm with the rest, lock the spare if you're worried about it. They'll steal the wheels off your TV before taking the ones off your trailer. Not the same black market value. I agree with others about the potential for loss of the special adapter for the locks. There's nothing worse than not being able to find it when you have a flat on the side of a busy Interstate, and you're trying to get your "rear end" off of the highway. In my tire changing days, I can't tell you how many times people cannot find the adapter. We used to use vice grips, and/or break the stud off to get them off. (With the customers permission of course).

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I'm with the rest, lock the spare if you're worried about it. They'll steal the wheels off your TV before taking the ones off your trailer. Not the same black market value. I agree with others about the potential for loss of the special adapter for the locks. There's nothing worse than not being able to find it when you have a flat on the side of a busy Interstate, and you're trying to get your "rear end" off of the highway. In my tire changing days, I can't tell you how many times people cannot find the adapter. We used to use vice grips, and/or break the stud off to get them off. (With the customers permission of course).
We welded nuts to them with a mig welder to get them off
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #29
All Around Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Nice! I resorted to YouTube video hacks to get ‘me off. Might have been quicker to roll out the welder

Baja Fog Adventuring
2018 F-250 Lariat SC w/6.75L Diesel
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrfletcher View Post
I bought 6 new tires for my 23' T/T and put locking lug nuts on each lug. America's Tire gave me a whole box of them so I put them all on! Plus 5 "keys" so I won't run out of keys. I also have a hi-torque DeWalt 20V impact that works great on them.
Good deal. I had a complete set of 24 on my Silverado, but just 1 on each wheel of my Ram. Gives one piece of mind, especially if you park in an area for a while after dark. I spend $1200 on my truck tires and just making it harder is what I hope to do.
Its like most decisions I make in life; weight the cost of the issue against the advantage. Great example is when I did engine upgrade on my Harley: Give me the best bang for my buck. It's like making a graft using one line for cost or investment and another for the gain, as in this case horse power. At some point the 2 lines will cross and the proceeding HP gain is then at a higher cost.
I'm not gonna spend hundreds of dollars to protect my wheel & tires, but $20 or $30 gives me piece of mind that I did something to deter the average crook.
And of course you will now see people say "Well if they want it bad enough they well get it", which is true. The professional will find a way, but it is well worth the piece of mind that one did something to help protect one's property.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
I have 2 sets laying in the shop, 1 of which is 1/2 x 20 and they don't fit. Guess I will check out the Mc Guard site to see if they posted thread size.
And yes, it does make me feel better just having them.
ETrailer says they are 1/2" x 20 so I need to recheck my spare wheel locks. maybe I miss marked them. They are from a Chevy I no longer own.
Still $20 or $30 will bring me piece of mind.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most of our Dealer's employees would just put a thin-wall 12 pt socket over the outside of the locking nut, smack it on tight with a hammer, then use an impact wrench to remove it.

Used cheap sockets that you could often find in the "cheap tool bin" at an A/P store. The added cost of the socket was included in the "No Key Wheel Lock Removal Fee".

A tool company kind of copied the idea only the inside of their tool was smooth and came with a punch so the old lock could be removed where the "socket method" often resulted in the socket being split and had a limited life.

As for stealing expensive "Rims" around here, they just steal the whole car and it's found pretty much stripped a day or two later.

I see spare tires more vulnerable, especially in storage lots. Most trailer spares seem to be mounted on generic white wheels and if someone has a rotten spare that new tire on a nearby trailer can look awful tempting. Just put a good stout chain or cable around bumper and through wheel, secured with a heavy duty lock. Then put the key in a drawer inside the trailer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #33

Although - if you follow the advice that was on another post on this forum that said trailers with torsion axles should be jacked and blocked in storage so the wheels are off the ground, then you've just removed most of the work involved to steal the wheels off a trailer. But I have yet to see any trailer jacked and on blocks in storage.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #34

Lug nuts locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob l View Post
hey fellas i am new to this rv life and plan my first long trip over the cold months and my thought is since i just dropped a few dollars on a complete set of goodyear endurance tires i feel i need to add a set of locking lug nuts. I haven't found my lug size but did find that the lug nuts are the same thread size as my e-z-go golf cart.
Anyways if you happen to know the lug size forest river is using or know of a link to where i might find out the correct size please share it with me. You may just save me a 20 mile trip to the hardware store just to figure out what size i need.
if you find any and they take a socket to take them off. Do not buy them. I can taek them off witha plumbers wrench in 1 min, and a lot of supposeable lock lug nuts.
Grease monkey
grease monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #35

I found out my last set of wheel locks took one second more to get off with a lock than my unlocked wheel nuts.......... since then I through all my wheel locks in the trash.

No welding needed............. my tire guy showed me how useless locks were.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I’m not worried about wheels on my trailers or MH but the Jeep toad has three locks installed. Although only one is needed it looks better with all three the same.

You do realize that locking nuts should not stick out like that. I could take a pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench and easily remove those in about a minute.

Not trying to be a downer, just pointing out something you may have overlooked.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #37

When every one of your storage doors on your camper can be popped open with a stiff pull, I would think stealing a tire/wheel would take ten times longer for the reward than all your tools and stuff in the storage compartments.
Locking lugs are a waste of money to me, jmo.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
You do realize that locking nuts should not stick out like that. I could take a pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench and easily remove those in about a minute.

Not trying to be a downer, just pointing out something you may have overlooked.
That was considered. The outer band rotates and the lock is torqued to 125 pounds. Tried regular vice grips and they weren’t up to the task. If I hammer two small chisels between the lock and outer ring it’s possible with a lot of effort to rotate the lock.

I think we’ve established in this thread no wheel lock is going to be a deterrent to a determined thief. The object is to encourage them to move on to an easier target or to slow them down.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That was considered. The outer band rotates and the lock is torqued to 125 pounds. Tried regular vice grips and they weren’t up to the task. If I hammer two small chisels between the lock and outer ring it’s possible with a lot of effort to rotate the lock.

I think we’ve established in this thread no wheel lock is going to be a deterrent to a determined thief. The object is to encourage them to move on to an easier target or to slow them down.
Slowing down thieves is the only goal of all security devices, even the most massive vaults.

Slow them down so the next layer of security has time to kick in. That could be merely a dog, armed property owner, police, or maybe in some cases a small army.

Given enough time every lock, safe, vault, or bunker can be defeated.

Some locks are better than others but they cost more and all to often passed by in favor of cheap.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #40

I think the chances of someone stealing your tires/wheels off of your RV are quite slim.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock