Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #1

Axle capacity issues?

My wife and I recently purchased a used 2017 Prime Time Crusader 295 RST and during the negotiation discussion (long range) by phone and e-mails one of the questions I asked was the weight rating of the axles. The owner told me during our initial conversations and then again when we showed up to check out the unit that he had ordered 8000 lb axles instead of the standard 5200 lb axles. He said that as a truck driver for heavy equipment, he felt that he wanted the extra assurance going down the road. I am too trusting as he told me again when we were there to finalize the deal that it had 8000 lbs axles. Now that we have had it for several weeks, I have it in my shop where I can checking things out and while underneath, seeing if I need to seal areas for rodent proofing, I checked out the stickers on the axles. Guess what??? 5200 lb axles.......GRRR
My question to anyone out there is this: Our 5er has a dry weight of 8321 lbs with a payload capacity of 3117 lbs for a total of 11,438 lbs and a hitch pin weight of 1278 lbs. Should I be concerned with axles that are only rated at 10400 lbs? The GVRW is 11,438lbs, do I take off the hitch pin weight of the total? If so, that would put the total weight on the axles if the rig was loaded to capacity at 10,160 lbs and would make me feel a whole lot better.

Thanks to all you more experienced fivers.
C&J
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

Yes, you need to subtract the pin weight. Do you have anything in writing that the previous owner stated it has 8000# axles?
Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #3

Yes, subtract the pin weight,, and perhaps the PO never checked the axles.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle