Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #1

Axle flip questions?

I am thinking of moving the axles under the springs on my 2004 wildwood as it seems to sit low to me and when i back it in my driveway the rear of camper is only 4 inches or so away from hitting the ground. I was qouted 300 to have it done. I know they make a kit to diy but being it is 12 years old i am pretty sure it will need to be torched apart due to rust. I am curious from people that have done this has there been any negatives to it? Mine sits low enough now i do not think the steps will be a problem. It tows very well due to sitting low will this be greatly affected by raising it the 4-5 inches? Thanks
mod381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

I did it on my last tt it was a 99 fleetwood wilderness 24 j. Sat very low drug the ground a lot. I was extremely happy with the results of the flip, not only did it give me plenty of clearance but made it possible to store gear underneath. I didn't notice any difference in handling.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

I did it myself, had the entire tt on blocks. Didn't have to torch anything off but you will have to lengthen your brake wiring and the kit I used didn't require welding, it highly recommended welding after installation. I highly recommend it also
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

I had it done on my last camper and there were no negatives that I remember. We boondock camp and needed the extra clearance so the tank drains wouldn't be damaged when we towed off-road.

Make sure that the perches are welded true and that the axles look aligned.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

The shop that quoted me the price is the local spring and alingment shop (all they do). They would weld on perches and not use any kit. I was going to do it myself as i always do all my own work but as i park my camper on gravel at home i thought it might not be worth it for the 150 or so in difference in price to try and jack/block it up in the gravel.
mod381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

I did our trailer and the hardest/longest part was getting the trailer blocked up to get the axle off. I did purchase the kit thinking it would make it easier but after doing it I can see all you need are the saddles if you can weld. After getting everything lined up and a simple tack weld it all went back together fine and the alignment measured out perfect. I did not have to extend any wiring, lucked out and had more than enough slack.

Tags
axle