Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Axle hanger weld

I baught a brand new trailer in 2018 drove it to FL 2000 miles and back when I arrived back home my 2 rear tires were completely worn. It was guaranteed so they said my axles in the rear was crouket, they replace the 2 new tires and put a new axle for free. This was done in June 2019. I got an infection on my leg so could not drive till June 2021. It was in storage. Planned a trip with my daughter n hr husband for july got 600 miles done and people were flashing me comming my way, stopped and did not see anything. drove another 100 miles and flashing were more frequent from guys passing and meeting me. Stopped again in a rest area more room. I have a 26 foot travel trailer and my truck ram 1500 big horn. My left rear tire was completely worn, since I'm not a mechanic I installed my spare tire new one. My last stop was over large mountains near the st Laurence seaway in Canada 200 miles. Called a few places to find a qualified area to check out my tire. when I got there my same tire was even worse it was down to the metal. the weld holding the axle was off it was only spot welded and gave away. The dealer said the guarantee was passed and did not want to do anything. Called my lawyer and I'm going to sue them. Anyone know anything about this? I'm in Quebec, Canada
Sarge1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1966 View Post
I baught a brand new trailer in 2018 drove it to FL 2000 miles and back when I arrived back home my 2 rear tires were completely worn. It was guaranteed so they said my axles in the rear was crouket, they replace the 2 new tires and put a new axle for free. This was done in June 2019. I got an infection on my leg so could not drive till June 2021. It was in storage. Planned a trip with my daughter n hr husband for july got 600 miles done and people were flashing me comming my way, stopped and did not see anything. drove another 100 miles and flashing were more frequent from guys passing and meeting me. Stopped again in a rest area more room. I have a 26 foot travel trailer and my truck ram 1500 big horn. My left rear tire was completely worn, since I'm not a mechanic I installed my spare tire new one. My last stop was over large mountains near the st Laurence seaway in Canada 200 miles. Called a few places to find a qualified area to check out my tire. when I got there my same tire was even worse it was down to the metal. the weld holding the axle was off it was only spot welded and gave away. The dealer said the guarantee was passed and did not want to do anything. Called my lawyer and I'm going to sue them. Anyone know anything about this? I'm in Quebec, Canada
Best thing you could do after getting a lawyer involved is to delete this post and say nothing to anyone about this problem except to the dealer and manufacture of the RV.
FordMastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

Personally I would not have called a lawyer nor threatened a lawsuit until other avenues were approached. For example, I would have taken the original repair documentation and sent it to the manufacturer and asked for some "goodwill" assistance. I had to do this with my full size fridge that went out beyond warranty and both Best Buy (who supplies the Insignia fridge) and Forest River were accommodating and covered most all of the expenses. Of course I approached it being very kind/cordial while supplying documentation.

What I'm saying is that when faced with a lawsuit, most people will just double down and for the cost of an attorney, you could probably pay for the repair 5 times over.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

By the time you pay your Lawyer it would be cheaper to just take the TT to a good welding shop and have the spring hangar properly welded in place.

Welding shops often build trailers for special uses and are usually very familiar with the proper geometry for spring hangars and axle alignment.

A couple hundred for the welding shop and around a couple hundred or so for a pair of replacement tires will be a lot less than an attorney's bill if you lose (and given the time that passed you may well lose). This would be about two hours work by my attorney and a lawsuit is guaranteed to take a lot more than two hours.

Sometimes it's just better to get up, rub some dirt on it, and get back in the game.

BTW, I'd trust the welding done by a good welding shop over that performed in almost every RV dealer shop I've seen. Most of their "welders" are just someone in the shop who welds, not welders by trade, much less "certified".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

I doubt any of us Americans know much if any about Canada law but if this were in Texas, you would be past the limitation to bring legal action. Repair done in June 2019, this is now September 2021. If you were in Texas and tried to file now, you would be too late.

What FR line and model trailer is this?
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #6

axle stuff response

Thanks to all whom have responded, I will take your advises and turn the page and only have the dealer to pay my expenses for all this that has happened over 2000,00$ then life goes on and get it fixed by pros in the business.

tks
Sarge1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle