Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #41

It's official, the camper is not overloaded. The dealer weighed it on certified scales today. Only thing not in it are two 20" bicycles and some clothes. Everything else we travel with is in it. The weight was only 6720 lbs.

They are taking lots of measurements tomorrow, but it sounds like they are leaning toward some kind of frame problem now. Yay, more suspense...
mgaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaines View Post
It's official, the camper is not overloaded. The dealer weighed it on certified scales today. Only thing not in it are two 20" bicycles and some clothes. Everything else we travel with is in it. The weight was only 6720 lbs.

They are taking lots of measurements tomorrow, but it sounds like they are leaning toward some kind of frame problem now. Yay, more suspense...
Are they even considering the axles are flipped wrong?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #43

I'm not sure. I remember from the first axle change they said the reason was because the axles were not cambered. I would assume (yeah, I know) that they would install them correctly KNOWING that was the first problem, or at least claiming it was.

They were trying to find a way to way each side of the camper instead of just the whole thing because they said there was something strange about the weight distribution. Personally, I find it of some concern that the frame damage caused by the u bolts and the worst wear on the tires and wheel wells was on the theoretically light side of the camper. Both slides on one side would, and does, make that side noticeably heavier, yet the worst damage was on the other side. That, coupled with the sway control/weight distribution bar on the "lighter" side not bearing as heavily on the bracket mounted to the camper makes me think something is "off" on the camper. The hitch was installed and set up by the dealer and both sides were set the same on the brackets, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe they will have an answer tomorrow after taking all their measurements. If it actually does have some kind of frame damage, it has to have been that way from day one and I'm not sure I want it back, even if they claim it is fixed.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Whatever, but as long as the axles have the bow down, they can measure all they want and re-build the frame and it will still be wrong and wear tires. I would insist, no, demand they flip the axles and put the springs on top and then start measuring things.

What they are neglecting defies common sense, no, it is borderline asinine.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Whatever, but as long as the axles have the bow down, they can measure all they want and re-build the frame and it will still be wrong and wear tires. I would insist, no, demand they flip the axles and put the springs on top and then start measuring things.

So simple, but so complicated no one will grasp it.

Wanna bet?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
So simple, but so complicated no one will grasp it.

Wanna bet?
Sounds like the dealer and his personnel need to go back to "Toy R Us" or "McDonalds", they don't have a clue.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #47

Are you sure thats correct? Dry weight from there website is 6683. You added 37 lbs? I bet the dealer is not addding tongueweight. Thats just whats onthe axles depending whatthe tongueweight is you are close. Intersting tosee what the dealer comes up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaines View Post

jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #48

I think you hit it on the head. Axles!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #49

Help!
RLWS 27' problem?
When backing our 27rlws we noticed the front tire was not vertically lined up with the rear tire and rim. It seemed to be slanted in at the top. It was backed up on a asphalt driveway, so a level surface. When placing an automotive jack under the axel and raising the trailer, the rim and tire seemed to straighten and sit straight vertically. Is this normal or is there a problem with the Torflex independent suspension ?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forest River Forums mobile app
cecelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelea View Post
Help!
RLWS 27' problem?
When backing our 27rlws we noticed the front tire was not vertically lined up with the rear tire and rim. It seemed to be slanted in at the top. It was backed up on a asphalt driveway, so a level surface. When placing an automotive jack under the axel and raising the trailer, the rim and tire seemed to straighten and sit straight vertically. Is this normal or is there a problem with the Torflex independent suspension ?

Are the lug nuts tight?
Is the axle nut tight?
Was the trailer backed in from an angle?
Air pressure up to snuff?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #51

Yes we did back it at an angle into place, however, this is our 3rd new tt and we never had this problem before. This is however our first Dexter Axle Independent Suspension TorflexRubberTorsion Axle. We are not sure if it is supposed to "flex" in this way or not?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #52

Same thing happens to mine. The axles are riding on rubber "inserts" instead of springs. This will allow a bit of off chamber when turning - most noticeable when backing into a space. Always back to normal when going straight.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #53

So it's not a problem? Some posts indicate a night mare of a problem?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #54

The wear on our tires doesn't seem to be bad or uneven

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #55

If you look at the picture of the axles and the way they are supported you can see the possibility of some off chamber movement as well as some up-down movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torflex.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	49216  
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #56

Take it to a frame and axle shop !!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #57

At the end of the day the yello-tag weight states that the unit weighs nearly 6700# and has 7000# axle capacity on a long tt that sleeps 10 (closely) and depends on the hitch weight of 722 to allow 1000# of options, water, etc. Sounds too close to limits to then add weight distributing hitch that allows distribution of weight. Our old 4200# unit had 3500 axles that allowed for much more. We shopped for replacement TT for a long time reading yellow tag capacitys carefully and didn't see cargo capacity so low on such a big unit. If FR won't help further and you have to consider other options like trading it in or you might be surprised at how low the cost of replacing the complete axle -spring assembley if frame and tire capacities allows for heavier replacement. Be careful not to create a new problem, it's only as strong as it's weakest point. Good luck.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #58

Well, I finally have an update, disappointing as it is. I spoke to the dealer Friday and found out that the weight he gave me is the total weight of the unit. They actually put it on the scale, disconnected, and pulled the truck away. Apparently the dry weight not the sticker is a little high since the only thing missing for a trip is two children's bikes and some clothes.

That would be the good news.

The bad news is that they can find nothing wrong with the camper. After taking all their measurements nothing is out of spec, apparently including the camber on the wheels as it sits. He told me that he hadn't mentioned the frame damage to FR yet because he said all they will say is that I "hit a pothole." Problem is, you would think I would remember hitting something that hit hard enough to do that kind of damage. At the very least, with as much as it sways hitting a pothole big enough to do that should have slung us off the road.

Apparently the manufacturer representative is supposed to look at it tomorrow and I should get an update tomorrow afternoon. Apparently the only idea the dealer has is to install some kind of kit that helps to distribute the camper weight better. Somehow I am not encouraged. I'm already scared to death to tow the thing with my family in the car, and the only fix will be to install something that "should" distribute the camper's weight?

The service manager suggested that if I decided to trade it, FR might be willing to give us something extra on top of the trade in value. Anyone want to take a guess on how likely I think that is?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #59

Ok folks, I could use some advice. I spoke to the service manager at my dealer today. Neither they nor FR can find anything wrong or out of measurement. He told me FR says nothing is wrong and they will do nothing for me.

He said they have thought long and hard on it and have determined that the unit may be constantly swaying behind us while we travel and that it just gets worse when we are passed. He says the constant sway would cause the tires to eat away like they have. He wants to try an E4 hitch, which I believe has previously been mentioned here, thinking that will solve all my problems.

Does this sound like a feasible solution that would fix things for me, or am I basically getting told something to make me go away? My very first question was how much, and apparently they will give me the hitch for nothing if it solves things. They want me to bring the tow vehicle in and hook up with my hitch, then "test drive" it, and then try the E4 hitch and do the same thing. That sounds like a reasonable plan, except I am sure the thing will behave fine with someone from the shop riding along.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

I would take it to a reputable trailer shop, have them flip the axles, check alignment and go from there. To me, your dealer and whomever he is (supposedly) talking to at FR are blowing smoke and don't have a clue what is going on especially with the frame hitting the U bolts on the axle.

Tags
axle, grey wolf