Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

axle questions

Hello, I am trying to figure what axles I need for my camper. 2019 puma xle rdc 20. When I got it it had some issues one of them being they took the axles that came on it off and used them on another camper. They just put one on it that is wrong so it could be moved. I am not sure what I need and can not seem to find much info on it. Thx.
mike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #2

Ask the dealer to provide the info on the axles they took off if that doesn't work contact palomino or FR with your serial number and year they should be able to give you that information
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #3

I will probably have to contact FR as I bought it from an individual not a dealer. Was hoping someone knew and I could get something ordered or locally today. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #4

Dealers are not in the habit of changing out axles by pulling axles off one unit and putting on another. That is a lot of work and a few things can go 'wrong'. an axle can be ordered and received in 2-3 days.

Did you buy your unit with a 'wrong' 'replacement' axle? Why? I would question everything on this unit and the integrity of the

Dealer.

Everything should be under 'warranty' and put to factory specs by the dealer.

know a lawyer that you can call for advice if needed. Do not tell the dealer that you are talking (if needed) to a lawyer.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike77 View Post
I will probably have to contact FR as I bought it from an individual not a dealer. Was hoping someone knew and I could get something ordered or locally today. Thanks for your reply.

Note that no Dealer was involved.

Dealer bashing not appropriate in this case.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

I did not buy it from a dealer. I bought it from a individual. It does have a rebuilt title so warranty is not a option.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike77 View Post
I did not buy it from a dealer. I bought it from a individual. It does have a rebuilt title so warranty is not a option.
What is a "rebuilt title"?

Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified modifier have authority to change a vehicle's original federal certification label. Axles for all RV trailers are described on the vehicle certification label as GAWR and give the maximum load they can carry on that vehicle. Therefore, any axle with the ability to carry that GAWR load is acceptable once certified.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

Airedale I think what mike77 is referring to is a salvage title like when a car has been in a flood or rebuilt after a wreck.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
What is a "rebuilt title"?

Only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified modifier have authority to change a vehicle's original federal certification label. Axles for all RV trailers are described on the vehicle certification label as GAWR and give the maximum load they can carry on that vehicle. Therefore, any axle with the ability to carry that GAWR load is acceptable once certified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Airedale I think what mike77 is referring to is a salvage title like when a car has been in a flood or rebuilt after a wreck.

The "regulations" only apply to the first sale from a manufacturer. From there on it's "the wild, wild, west" and just about anything goes.

Vehicles are modified all the time and registered for tonnage the original manufacturer never intended. Only time the authorities seem to be concerned is if a VIN# is changed and that merely involves some paperwork and a visual inspection, usually by the State's Highway Patrol or Dept of Licensing.

FWIW, we have people on this forum that are exceeding the "certified weights" on both their TV's and TT's, with or without modification.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Yes SeaDog that is what I am referring to. Not at all looking to exceed weight. I am just trying to find a part number or anything that tells me what originally came on it.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Brake is on left

A leaf sprung axle is a leaf sprung axle. You dont need the exact replacement. All you really need to know is the GAWR off the trailer decal, if it was a drop axle (unlikely) and if both axles had brakes. If you still have the wheels then bolt pattern and stud size would be good. Ive replaced a Dexter axle with a Tractor Supply special on a tandem just to get a friend home. Only reason it was temporary is because it was a 3500 no brakes and he had 4000 w/ brakes.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
FWIW, we have people on this forum that are exceeding the "certified weights" on both their TV's and TT's, with or without modification.
That's a different subject.

The reissue of a title has nothing to do with vehicle modification unless there is a different VIN involved. It would be for the vehicle as sold.

In the definitions section of 49 CFR part 567 there is a list of components that are not considered modifications when they are changed-out.

On the left external side of the OPs trailer, forward of the axles, there is a Vehicle certification label. Any axel he uses must be able to support the load value of the GAWRs load limit on that label. Brand and design of the axles are easily determined by trailer brand, year and model.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #13

Thank-you for not jabbing me. Did not realize (ie. read enough) that this unit was basically a salvage camper and what looks to be used for parts by others that were not a dealer and then being 'rebuilt/modified' (?) by the current owner. my bad.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
D W

Looking at the specs for the 2019 puma xle rdc 20, it appears that is equipped with 3500lb axles from the factory.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #15

What is the gross weight of your unit?
Contact your local car hauler/utility/equipment trailer sales places, set yourself up with an axle the is the next step more than your gross suggests.

You will need some information for them to get the axle made, wheel mounting width (face to face), spring pad width (center to center), brake type you desire (drum, disc, surge or electric) and wheel bolt pattern.

You could always do what I have preferred, buy a bare axle and weld your own spring pads on. This isn't building nuclear reactors, its about a simple as it gets. Always over size the axle if you can afford it.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Axles.aspx

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/c-...0-to-5200.aspx

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/tr...-repair-parts/

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #16

So you just need to weight the TT and put on axles to cover the load??
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #17

A trailer manufacturer can help you determine what you need to know to get some axles. We don't have trailer man in my town, but we have another place(Ledwell Enterprises) they are a Dexter distributor. Just ask/call around. You may have to call more than one or talk to more than one person to get where you need to be.
I went to Lippert's website a while back to "check on" axle specs.... it is complicated to decide which axle you need. That is where an experienced person can help...IE trailer place.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
What is the gross weight of your unit?
Contact your local car hauler/utility/equipment trailer sales places, set yourself up with an axle the is the next step more than your gross suggests.

You will need some information for them to get the axle made, wheel mounting width (face to face), spring pad width (center to center), brake type you desire (drum, disc, surge or electric) and wheel bolt pattern.

You could always do what I have preferred, buy a bare axle and weld your own spring pads on. This isn't building nuclear reactors, its about a simple as it gets. Always over size the axle if you can afford it.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Axles.aspx

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/c-...0-to-5200.aspx

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/tr...-repair-parts/
I second this approach. If the OP is confident he has the skills and tools to replace the axle himself that's the most economical approach.

I assume that the existing axle fits and is just undersized. If that's the case I'd put the TT up on jack stands, remove the axle, take pictures, and lots of measurements. Then contact Deter for a recommendation.

Yes, a scale weight is important but make sure the TT is loaded the way it's intended to be used (full water tank, food, clothing, toys, etc.) then add a minimum of 10% for safety margin so Dexter can recommend a proper weight rated axle.

Good chance Dexter knows what axle was originally installed on that trailer given that they are the largest supplier of RV Axles.

One possible ray of sunshine, the hubs and brakes MIGHT fit the replacement axle. Certainly worth researching.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #19

Thank you for the responses. I ended up contacting Puma today and got a lippert pn. I am thinking I can get the measurements having the pn I hope. It is a 3500 underslung.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Thank-you for not jabbing me. Did not realize (ie. read enough) that this unit was basically a salvage camper and what looks to be used for parts by others that were not a dealer and then being 'rebuilt/modified' (?) by the current owner. my bad.

Yes you are right. Nothing was damaged on it just had some stuff missing. Not trying to modify it at all. Just get it rolling so I can take my boys camping, maybe the old lady every other time lol. With what I have replaced and cost for axles I might be in it for 1/8 what of it cost new.

Tags
axle