Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Axle / Tire concerns

I am currently looking into purchasing a 2006 Rockwood 8318ss. This would be my first tt, but my family has had travel trailers as long as i can remember. My question however, is that the axles and tires seem to be sized "just enough" on these models and most other ultra-lite trailers. Is there any history of axle problems with these models? I know the axles are rated as 3500 ea. I believe they are alko axles. I have also looked to see if I could upgrade to 205 75r 15 load range D tires just as an extra piece of mind. Any comments would be great. We love the trailer and would love to purchase.
newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Since you are new to the forum you might take a minute to try the search feature and learn how to use it. Please do not take this badly, but there are several awesome threads here already that discuss both of your concerns in depth.

A search on alko axles will answer your axle questions.
A search on d rated tires will talk about that.
Use the "search" menu selection on the "green" menu bar

Do not use too many search terms. It tries to match all of them and you could get no hits if you use too many.

Alko
Al-Ko
Axle
D Rated
Load range

Welcome to the forum and please enjoy your visit. Come back many times there is lots to learn and please contribute what you know!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the helpful hint. I will do some searching. I guess part of me hoped someone would tell me I was worrying to much... ha.

Anyway, also wondering if anyone has replaced axles with a greater capacity type? I see AL-KO makes and 5200lb unit that might work.
newbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle