Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Axle Weight Ratings

I have a 2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel, and recently spent some time at a scale to determine whether I am within the design parameters of the total trailer weight, axle weight ratings, etc. I gained some overall confidence in my setup, but generated some questions as well. Here's how it was weighed: 1) I parked the trailer on the scale without the truck, and determined that it is about 2000 lbs below the GVWR (that's a good thing), 2) I weighed the truck alone to determine that value, 3) I reconnected the trailer and then determined the hitch weight, 4) I pulled the rig forward until only the front RV axle was on the scale - and then subtracted the truck weight - to determine what that front axle was supporting. Here's my dilemma: The scaled weight was 600 lbs over the manufacturer's GAWR for the axle. Sorry about the lengthy explanation, but I've been advised that since the truck's bed is bearing a portion of the weight on the front part (including the axle) of the RV via the hitch, I can subtract at least a percentage of the hitch weight to get a better picture of what the front axle is actually bearing. Thanks in advance for any light you folks can shed on my concern. I try to operate close to the minimums on the various mechanical ratings to prolong the life of my expensive equipment, and want to know how I'm doing for my peace of mind. Or, I'm just being too anal
pattersonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Raising the nose of the 5th wheel by lowering the pin box so the camper rides more level will shift the weight supported by the camper's front axle to the rear axle.

I have the reverse situation but can not lower the camper's nose due to the truck's side wall clearance.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, weight