Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Axles take more grease

Hey everyone.

I gotta coachman hybrid 21TQX duel axle.

I have greased the axles every year for a few years now. I always do it once in the spring and thatís it. This year I notice the same thing that has happened every year since I owned this camper. The driver side wheels each take about 23-25 pumps on the grease gun before they are full. The passenger side wheels each take 3-4 pumps before they are full.

Last summer I paid attention and crawled under the camper several times though the summer to see if I could see any seepage coming from the wheels. Everything is as it always has been BONE DRY.

I even felt the axle hubs after a long drive to see if they are heating up on the drivers side. They are evenly warm with the passenger side.

So does anyone has any idea where all this grease is going??

Should I be concerned? Or should I crack open a beer and enjoy my summer?

Thanks in advance
igeorgei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

IF you added grease to all hubs until it started coming out around outer bearing the previous time and it now requires a significant amount og grease to have grease come out a year later, it would be a good idea to pull hubs and check.

If you have no sign of grease outside. Only place it can go is inside. Time to check.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Usually Confused Member

Had a friend with a 2019 Wildcat fifth wheel notice evidence of grease leaking on three of the wheels. Brought it over to the house and when we pulled the hubs discovered three of the four wheels were completely soaked in grease. All the rear grease seals were so loose they stayed on the axle when I removed the drums. At least there was one normally operating brake.

However, it’s an easy fix. Disc brake kit arriving tomorrow. I still believe electric drum brakes should be classified as illegal.

Closeup showing the completely failed brake lining.

2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
All the rear grease seals were so loose they stayed on the axle when I removed the drums.
Whoever repacked the bearings last clearly used the wrong seals. They should have noticed this when a) they compared with old seals; b) they went into the hub extremely easy. Just looking at the "green" on the seals in the picture leads one to believe they onnly needed "thumb pressure" to be seated.

Now we wait for the comments on how "EZ-Lube is to blame".

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #5

I did notice all the grease not used just taking up space around the spindle. That's the inherit flaw with the EZ lube first time greasing you need to fill those hollows to get the grease to come out the front bearing.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Whoever repacked the bearings last clearly used the wrong seals. They should have noticed this when a) they compared with old seals; b) they went into the hub extremely easy. Just looking at the "green" on the seals in the picture leads one to believe they onnly needed "thumb pressure" to be seated.

Agree. Seals appear to be "single lip" and, as you mention, prob too small diameter & easy to slip in/out. A great way to see "deer in the headlights" and/or to get the wrong seal is to ask a local auto parts store for double lip trailer axle seals. A "this'll probably work seal" usually won't. This may well be an example.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
Agree. Seals appear to be "single lip" and, as you mention, prob too small diameter & easy to slip in/out. A great way to see "deer in the headlights" and/or to get the wrong seal is to ask a local auto parts store for double lip trailer axle seals. A "this'll probably work seal" usually won't. This may well be an example.
Don't you just love it when the clerk brings out 4-5 boxes, opens them one by one, then holds the old one next to the new one. When he finds something that kind of looks pretty much like the old he passes it off as an "updated design".

In the "Old Days" when catalogs were still used, in the back of the bearing and seal catalog there was an extensive cross reference where you could look up a replacement using the numbers molded/etched on the old part.

Today it's all computer and in order to get anything you have to key in a Year, Make, Model, Trim Level, Motor, etc. IF they have a cross reference it's often woefully incomplete unless they imported the mfr's database and taught the clerk how to access it.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Usually Confused Member

Quote:

That would be Forest River. The rig was taken to Colaw RV in Missouri. They packed the bearings by putting grease in using an air driven grease gun via the zerk fitting.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
That would be Forest River. The rig was taken to Colaw RV in Missouri. They packed the bearings by putting grease in using an air driven grease gun via the zerk fitting.
Don't overlook the fact the seals are wrong ones too. Proper ones take a good whack or two on a seal driver to seat and the outer perimeter ends up scraped. Like I said, the "paint" on these seals isn't even scratched as far as one can see.

Wrong part, air powered grease gun, still not the fault of EZ-Lube.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
IF you added grease to all hubs until it started coming out around outer bearing the previous time and it now requires a significant amount og grease to have grease come out a year later, it would be a good idea to pull hubs and check.

If you have no sign of grease outside. Only place it can go is inside. Time to check.
X2 Maybe leaking into the brake drum & shoes.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:

That zerk jerk should have been fired!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
That zerk jerk should have been fired!!
If the trailer owner had it towed to the dealer where this grease job was done, and demanded they fix their screwup, good chance he would be fired.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #13
Usually Confused Member

Just being curious so I put the grease seal back in place. Finger pressure definitely wouldn’t work and since I don’t have the proper tool I’m through with it. It would take a lot of pressure to remove it.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Just being curious so I put the grease seal back in place. Finger pressure definitely wouldnít work and since I donít have the proper tool Iím through with it. It would take a lot of pressure to remove it.
You can use the end of a piece of 2x4 to tap the grease seal into place with a hammer. Easily done over a 100 seals with this method and no issues.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
You can use the end of a piece of 2x4 to tap the grease seal into place with a hammer. Easily done over a 100 seals with this method and no issues.
I prefer to let the tire store do it. They charge $5. Not worth my time to save just $5.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
I prefer to let the tire store do it. They charge $5. Not worth my time to save just $5.
I'm confused. You don't have time to save $5 but you're working on your 'friends' trailer and already had it apart? Don't you have to waste your time by bringing the hubs to the tire store?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #17

Once they are greased, you shouldn't have to add anymore grease. Back when cars had bearings instead of hubs, you only had to grease the bearings when doing a brake job. Where's the grease going to go? Only two ways for it to escape, front cap, or rear seal. It doesn't evaporate.

THIS is the flaw of EZ lube spindles, they have people thinking they need to pump grease in every year. Their real purpose is to flush water out for boat trailers that submerge the hubs.

So, like the OP, 23 pumps of grease EACH year? WARNING flag that the rear seal is popped. The proper way is to pull the hub each year and inspect the rear seals.

If you get a kick out of pumping grease in and not knowing where it goes, go right ahead. I'm of the mind of wanting to know whether my brakes are clean and the seal is good rather than squeezing more grease in.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
THIS is the flaw of EZ lube spindles, they have people thinking they need to pump grease in every year. Their real purpose is to flush water out for boat trailers that submerge the hubs.
The flaw is people not reading the manual for them.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 05-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
The flaw is people not reading the manual for them.
There is that too.

From the manual

Quote:
Note: The E-Z Lubeģ feature is designed to allow immersion in water.
Also from the manual

Quote:
When the new clean grease is observed, remove the grease gun, wipe off any excess, and replace the rubber plug in the cap.
This means when contaminated grease no longer comes out. Grease normally turns black with use, does not mean it is contaminated. Milky gray grease is what these are designed to remove, that is water contaminated grease.

I don't know of anyone who immerses their RV in water, but if you do, then the EZ lubes are perfect for you.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I don't know of anyone who immerses their RV in water, but if you do, then the EZ lubes are perfect for you.
Haha. A lot of people on here said the technology spills over from boat trailers. I'm sure the manufacturer doesn't want to make different spindles for different axle applications.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate