Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bad brakes on new 8285ws

Today I delivered my "NEW" 8285 WS to Camping World of St Augustine, FL on I-95 for a hot water tank that did not work correctly. Propane heater would not "kick" on until the water was cold. Also wanted Service Center to check a "ZERK" grease fitting that was not letting me grease the right front wheel bearings (is not the zerk fitting) But upon starting out for delivery to Camping World, I could not get the wheels to lock up on the Rockwood to set the brakes proper voltage in the Prodigy controller. I kept getting this error code that was an "OVERLOAD" on the prodigy readout. I called the company that made the controller, explained the problem. I was promptly told that there was a short in the RV's "BLUE" brake wire. I began to think about it and my brakes were not good brakes
from day one. I contributed it to new brake shoes needed breaking in. Upon arriving at the Camping World (still no brakes) I explained that my brakes were bad and to the service the problem. The mechanic removed the two wheels and drums on the drivers side, Broken spring, got loose cut the wires to the electric brake "PUCKS".

Now, this 8285WS has 1627 miles on the clock, 927 miles from Lake View,
Ohio, 350 mile to Charlotte, NC, 350 miles back home. Camping World wanted to charge me for "REPACKING" the two wheels (close to $200.00)
said it was part of the regular maintenance. I don't think so !!!!!!

Called my good man at Forest River in the warranty dept, a Mr. Douglas Fought. Explained to him what was going on about the "charge" and and the repairs. Said not to worry about it for he would take care of it. Forest River would simply bill back to AL-KO axles for the repairs. I would not be charged any $$$$.

The moral to the story, do not just take the repair facility's word for who pays what. A simple phone call can and did do the correction of who was paying.

I was told this "spring incident" had happened just recently in Texas to two new units.

Pay close attention to your PRODIGY brake controller, it is built to alert you if there is a problem.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #2

Can't they make ANYTHING properly on these units?
Did AL-KO just start making axles?
Thanks for the heads up though.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Al-ko

They have been around a long time making axels for Forest River.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes