Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #21

When I had tires replaced recently they used Balance Beads. Was the first I'd heard of them. The tire people explained that weights can cpme loose or be affected by tire wear, etc.

2,500 miles later and no vibrations whatsoever.
Mike Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Currie View Post
When I had tires replaced recently they used Balance Beads. Was the first I'd heard of them. The tire people explained that weights can cpme loose or be affected by tire wear, etc.

2,500 miles later and no vibrations whatsoever.
Balance beads work!!

I've used them for years both on my motorcycle and on the camper.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #23

I worked at a shop that serviced U-Haul trailers, when we changed trailer tires for them we always balanced them.
markaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #24
Mr409

Balance

No they do not unless you specifically tell the dealer you want it done. I balance mine. It promotes better tire wear and less wear and tear on the trailer from vibration.
Brianmr409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:08 PM   #25

The problem is that it's hard to tell how much shaking is going on back there. Unbalanced tires are usually not that far out of balance these days. But, it is possible with a bit of bad luck to get a way out-of-balance tire that will shake the suspension and trailer more than you'd like. Why take the risk.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #26

Lug centric

Consider this: The majority of trailer wheels are "Lug Centric" meaning the center axle hole in the rim is not necessarily perfectly centered and bears no weight when it is mounted on the trailer. The lugs center the trailer wheel. Automobile wheels are "Hub Centric" and the axle hole in the rim is dead center and centers the wheel on the hub. A tire shop should know this and use a lug adapter on their balance machine, if they have one. They probably don't know this and don't have an adapter for your lug pattern. They will use their cone balance machine on your trailer tires. This may result in a tire that is not actually balanced. So, if you ask for your trailer tires to be balanced, ensure they use a lug adapter.
Nuclearchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclearchip View Post
Consider this: The majority of trailer wheels are "Lug Centric" meaning the center axle hole in the rim is not necessarily perfectly centered and bears no weight when it is mounted on the trailer. The lugs center the trailer wheel. Automobile wheels are "Hub Centric" and the axle hole in the rim is dead center and centers the wheel on the hub. A tire shop should know this and use a lug adapter on their balance machine, if they have one. They probably don't know this and don't have an adapter for your lug pattern. They will use their cone balance machine on your trailer tires. This may result in a tire that is not actually balanced. So, if you ask for your trailer tires to be balanced, ensure they use a lug adapter.
We have discussed this misnomer before. ALL wheels are centered on a balancer using the center hole.

Here is a great instructional video from Hunter Engineering on their balancers and at the 0:45 mark will explain how the center hole is ALWAYS the center point of the wheel, whether lug centric or hub centric.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
We have discussed this misnomer before. ALL wheels are centered on a balancer using the center hole.

Here is a great instructional video from Hunter Engineering on their balancers and at the 0:45 mark will explain how the center hole is ALWAYS the center point of the wheel, whether lug centric or hub centric.

That is a good video, but it contradicts this video? Could you comment on this vid:
https://youtu.be/ocWAZqNGhM4"]http:/...be/ocWAZqNGhM4
Nuclearchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer