Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 06:21 PM   #1

Balance new Trailer Tires?

Anyone know if Forest River (or their suppliers) balances the tires that go on new trailers? (travel trailers specifically; I know motorized RVs would need / have them balanced).

I don't recall seeing weights on the wheels, now that I think about it. And I can't look at the moment, as I store the trailer away from home.

I'm getting new tires installed next week, and when I talked to the shop, they indicated that trailer tires don't need to be balanced. Google search seems to suggest the same.

However, since our trailers are 'travel' and not 'utility'... I'm thinking it wouldn't be a waste of money to have them balanced. And I don't remember my last two trailers bouncing down the road with their factory china bombs, so... ???

The less stuff that falls / gets tossed around while driving the better, is my thinking. And, no, no one will be illegally riding in the trailer while it's being towed. Just my gear, food, etc.

I have a dual axle setup; the trailer is about 5500lbs with gear, batteries, etc. (and is rated for about 7000). Factory tires are 'D' rated, and I'm staying with that.

(And for anyone who asks... I'm getting proper 'ST' tires in the correct size, not truck tires, or anything like that.)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #2

Do whatever makes you feel better. Some folks balance towable tires, some don't. They definitely don't come from the factory balanced.
I haven't balanced trailer tires in many, many years. But that's just me and what I'm comfortable with.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

Does FR balance tires for trailers? Doubtful but they might be balanced when coming from their tire/wheel supplier.

As for the need to balance trailer tires, there are three schools of thought:

1. It's only a trailer and balancing is a waste of time and money;

2, If it rotates at any speed it should be balanced;

3. i really don't care.

I'm a firm believer that anything rotating and unbalanced will create vibration that will eventually cause damage, even if just loose nuts and bolts.

There will never be 100% agreement in any of the above but for me, after spending over 40 years in the automotive industry I always have my tires balanced when installed. The dealers I buy my tires for just price them with stem and balance rather than individual prices so I don't even notice.

My trailer runs down the highway smooth enough that often items left on the counter are right where I left them when I left (on smooth highways of course).

If you don't mind the inside of your trailer feeling like it's traveling inside a cocktail shaker, then save the few bucks for balancing but then just be prepared to do a lot of "tightening" when you find loose items later.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
D W

No manufacturer of towables that I know of balances tires. An out-of-balance tire will always be out-of-balance and will place undo stresses on the tire and bearings. I balance all of my tires. You'll find those that will say they don't need balancing, but those folks aren't buying your tires for you. Your choice.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:19 AM   #5

Anyone remember U-Haul trailers with the sign painted on the back stating not to pull them over 45 MPH? I believe those trailers didn't need to be balanced I always balance my tires. I've knocked the weights off my truck tires a couple of times, and I could feel the difference. Seems to me you'd get better gas mileage with a smooth riding trailer.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Does FR balance tires for trailers? Doubtful but they might be balanced when coming from their tire/wheel supplier.

As for the need to balance trailer tires, there are three schools of thought:

1. It's only a trailer and balancing is a waste of time and money;

2, If it rotates at any speed it should be balanced;

3. i really don't care.

I'm a firm believer that anything rotating and unbalanced will create vibration that will eventually cause damage, even if just loose nuts and bolts.

There will never be 100% agreement in any of the above but for me, after spending over 40 years in the automotive industry I always have my tires balanced when installed. The dealers I buy my tires for just price them with stem and balance rather than individual prices so I don't even notice.

My trailer runs down the highway smooth enough that often items left on the counter are right where I left them when I left (on smooth highways of course).

If you don't mind the inside of your trailer feeling like it's traveling inside a cocktail shaker, then save the few bucks for balancing but then just be prepared to do a lot of "tightening" when you find loose items later.
I just had a new set of GY Endurance tires put on and balanced too !

Sent from my SM-G781V using Forest River Forums mobile app
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
Anyone know if Forest River (or their suppliers) balances the tires that go on new trailers? (travel trailers specifically; I know motorized RVs would need / have them balanced).

I don't recall seeing weights on the wheels, now that I think about it. And I can't look at the moment, as I store the trailer away from home.

I'm getting new tires installed next week, and when I talked to the shop, they indicated that trailer tires don't need to be balanced. Google search seems to suggest the same.

However, since our trailers are 'travel' and not 'utility'... I'm thinking it wouldn't be a waste of money to have them balanced. And I don't remember my last two trailers bouncing down the road with their factory china bombs, so... ???

The less stuff that falls / gets tossed around while driving the better, is my thinking. And, no, no one will be illegally riding in the trailer while it's being towed. Just my gear, food, etc.

I have a dual axle setup; the trailer is about 5500lbs with gear, batteries, etc. (and is rated for about 7000). Factory tires are 'D' rated, and I'm staying with that.

(And for anyone who asks... I'm getting proper 'ST' tires in the correct size, not truck tires, or anything like that.)
Why not search these forums with your question? You will find these same responses and more! Happy scrolling!
Old 04-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #8

Reprise,
Since the wheels will be off your trailer anyway, the choice seems clear: balance. Even a slightly out-of-balance tire will wear unevenly.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #9

Balance trailer tires

I tow a 4600lb boat/motor/trailer behind my 2015 Force. Two years ago, after a 4000 mile trip, Dallas-Coeur d’Alene and back plus side trips, the right front (dual axle)
tire showed very odd and uneven wear. Bought a new one and had it balanced.
Discount tire said the bad one was out of balance. I, subsequently, had all of them balanced and they all needed it to some extent. The rig tows well with very even wear all around. I agree with above…if it rotates…get it balanced.
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #10

I balance for free

All the tires I have purchased for any vehicle have been balanced. Since I do not own a machine to mount the tires I have to purchase mounting and balancing for them - so they get balanced for "free".

The only time balancing is not needed is when you are driving down a dirt road at 30 MPH.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:38 AM   #11

Bouncing Tires

Balance Balance Balance them tires on that trailer. Stop and think about how bad your front end or rear end shakes, rattles and rolls when it is unbalanced. The same thing is happening to the trailer, 5th wheel, and what ever. Hard on bearings, hard on trailer frames, and anything else that gets bounced around inside depending on how bad the shake, rattle, and bounce is. We do not ride back in that metal box following you so we do not know how bad things are back there. You want to provide all the TLC and preventive maintenance you can. Why try to break it.

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #12

Equate out of balance tires with out of round tires. An unbalanced /out of round tire rolls like a cam and is not meeting the roadway smoothly. Now multiply that by 2,4, or 6 wheels. Seeing as TTs are referred to as rolling earthquakes, why add to the magnitude. Unbalanced tires may not be as noticeable on a trailer as it is on a TV, but it is still there.

If you are on a perfectly smooth road and you can hear a hum, it can be caused by flat spots in the tread having been pounded into the pavement on every revolution. That leads to early tire wear and possible failure. That may be true on other trailer components as well. As the saying goes, pay now or pay later.

When we purchased our new TV, I requested that the tires be checked for wheel balance. A discussion ensued that the factory had balanced the tires. Guess what, all four tires were out of balance by 3/4 oz-not any more.

On the previous truck, we had the tires rebalanced when in for service. After the service, we got up to highway speed and had terrific vibration. Not a good balance? No, the tire was balanced, but due to an unnoticed tread separation, it was in balance, but it still rolled like a cam.

One thing we have never fudged on, despite what tire dealers say, we balance all of our tires and check balance on tire rotations. Dealers have also told us that there is no need to balance vehicle rear tires. We have not taken their advice either.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Equate out of balance tires with out of round tires. An unbalanced /out of round tire rolls like a cam and is not meeting the roadway smoothly. Now multiply that by 2,4, or 6 wheels. Seeing as TTs are referred to as rolling earthquakes, why add to the magnitude. Unbalanced tires may not be as noticeable on a trailer as it is on a TV, but it is still there.

If you are on a perfectly smooth road and you can hear a hum, it can be caused by flat spots in the tread having been pounded into the pavement on every revolution. That leads to early tire wear and possible failure. That may be true on other trailer components as well. As the saying goes, pay now or pay later.

When we purchased our new TV, I requested that the tires be checked for wheel balance. A discussion ensued that the factory had balanced the tires. Guess what, all four tires were out of balance by 3/4 oz-not any more.

On the previous truck, we had the tires rebalanced when in for service. After the service, we got up to highway speed and had terrific vibration. Not a good balance? No, the tire was balanced, but due to an unnoticed tread separation, it was in balance, but it still rolled like a cam.

One thing we have never fudged on, despite what tire dealers say, we balance all of our tires and check balance on tire rotations. Dealers have also told us that there is no need to balance vehicle rear tires. We have not taken their advice either.

Amen brother. Preach it.

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #14

Thumbs up Balancing trailer tires???

You should always balance any tires that will rotate faster than 30 kmh. If you want the longest life out of your tires, bearings and trailer balancing your tires is a small investment to pay. As an added bonus when traveling your stuff in the trailer has a much better chance of being in the same place when you reach your destination.
Dale Meyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #15

We balanced our new tires when we put them on two years ago, and I can feel the difference when towing the trailer. I can look back and see the old tires vibrate, but not the new ones. A small expense for the wear and tear on the trailer.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #16

Agreed - Balance!

I agree with TitanMike. If it rotates, balance it.
"I'm a firm believer that anything rotating and unbalanced will create vibration that will eventually cause damage, even if just loose nuts and bolts."
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Anyone remember U-Haul trailers with the sign painted on the back stating not to pull them over 45 MPH? I believe those trailers didn't need to be balanced I always balance my tires. I've knocked the weights off my truck tires a couple of times, and I could feel the difference. Seems to me you'd get better gas mileage with a smooth riding trailer.
I just rented a U-Haul trailer two weeks ago. It had weights on the wheels. (and Carlisle HD trailer tires!)
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:36 PM   #18

[QUOTE=TitanMike;2729330]

X2 I spent $800 for new Endurance tires, why would I lower the total cost by a couple of bucks to leave them unbalanced?
Old 05-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #19

There are plenty of good reasons to balance trailer tires.

There are plenty of bad reasons not to.

Get them balanced.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #20

I just put GY Endurance tires on my trailer. So I saw the rims at the tire shop and the china bombs were not balanced.

My guy balances for free so I had him do it. But like many others have said, my belief is that. I would have done it even if it cost me some money.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer