Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #1

Barker Power Jack 3000 or 3500?

I am looking at adding a power jack to our new camper and have a few questions about weight ratings and such. We just purchased a 2013 Mini-Lite 2503s and noticed the time it takes to rasie and lower the trailer to the ball takes forever and a day. I did some looking and found the Barker VIP Power Jack. I like this unit for a few reasons, looks, reliability, functions and they are manufactured in Battle Creek Mi. Question #1). What size should I be looking at? They come with ratings of 3000lb or 3500lb. My camper, dry weighs 4400lbs dry aprox. More likely, its closer to 5400lbs loaded. (A trip to the scale is in the plans for next spring). Question #2). My current jack has a triangular mounting plate and the Barker has a round one. The bolt pattern of both of the units is identical. Will there be any issues switching over? Also, whats everyone's take on these units? Good or bad. Thanks again in advance!!
Not_So_Mini-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

After further digging, I read that the 3000lb jack has a diameter of 2in shaft and the 3500 has a 2 1/4 in shaft. I guess I answered my own question because our current trailer is set up with a 2in shaft. Thanks anyways
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

3000 should suffice.

My TW is around 650-700 and I have a Barker 3500vip, which is more than enough jack. Judging from your loaded weight of 5,400lbs, I imagine your TW is similar although possibly closer to 700lbs. Still, the 3000lb jack should do the job.

Remember that you are picking up more than just the tongue. The jack also needs to lift the back of the truck a bit to get the bars hooked up. I use an Equal-i-zer WDH.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
3000 should suffice.

My TW is around 650-700 and I have a Barker 3500vip, which is more than enough jack. Judging from your loaded weight of 5,400lbs, I imagine your TW is similar although possibly closer to 700lbs. Still, the 3000lb jack should do the job.

Remember that you are picking up more than just the tongue. The jack also needs to lift the back of the truck a bit to get the bars hooked up. I use an Equal-i-zer WDH.
Yeah, my TW is around 600lbs. I measured the shaft dia. and it's 2 inches, which would put me into the 3000. It would be nice to be able to go with the 3500 just to have that added umph! My WDH is the EZ lift by Camco rated for 10000lbs. Overkill, maybe but i couldn't be happier with it! although i have no experience with anything other than the EZ-Lift. Thanks Triguy for your input!! It helps a lot!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Explorer

This a post I had done before, but when I hear of a jack not moving, maybe, properly it
worries me. So hear is my old Post:
This is a story all should read and then store in the not to far back of your mind.
My sister has a 2010 28BH TT (not by ForestRiver), while disconnecting from her TV, on level cement at our house, she did the foot push/wiggle to dislodge the ball and it did. Her foot was left on the bumper and continued to jack up, the jack sounded low on power and then it just dropped CRASH BOOM BANG…THUD, 3 inches from her foot. I just stood dumbfounded I think she wet herself; camper just sat there on the bumper. Thank goodness we hadn’t pulled the truck out. Thank goodness nobody was hurt.
I am a sticker on safety and always talk to my kids where danger lies and where you should not be but, while I am always aware, sometimes I don’t do what I preach. This one has given me a few nightmares.
How do they rate these jacks? All that I found are called 2500#-5000#. Here is my issue: what does your tongue weigh 400#-600#? so ya I don’t get it, sisters jack was a 3500#.
The jack manufacture didn’t even question it and sent out a new one but it was going to take 7-10 days. She didn’t want to wait and wasn’t sure putting the same one back on would be smart. We put on a Husky 4000# it was recommended by a nearby trailer shop and it looks great, more robust. Yes, I now have an extra jack.
I don’t know how you could prevent this, jack had only been used maybe 30 times. Trailer shop we dealt with says there is no real maintenance(grease, adjustment,..)just keep it clean.
I always do the same thing with my camper: jack up off ball, pull truck out, jack up or down and then put down stabilizers. While stabilizers could have saved this I don’t know how to logistically do any thing differently
Have Fun, Be Safe,
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags