Old 04-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Bearings, electric brakes, and tires.

I am going to get my 2012 Cherokee grey wolf 28bhks inspected, getting the bearings, electric brakes and tires replaced on may 3rd. I was wondering, how long do new bearings, electric brakes, and tires will last, if I am only going to use the trailer about 4 or 5 times this season?

alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Forgot to mention, a possible trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Texarkana, TX and back.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Are you stating that you are having the "bearings, electric brakes, and tires" replaced just because- - -? IMHO: How many times has this unit been on the road and do you drive long distances? Having the bearings/seals inspected would be a good thing for sure. Having the electric brakes components inspected is a good thing also. A 2012 unit may, or may not, have that many miles on the tires but one could consider the manufacture date on the tires for replacement.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

The tires are almost worn out, either the bearings and or electric brakes are causing drag when towing the trailer. So when getting travel trailer state inspected, I'm gonna just have the tires replaced, bearings repacked or replaced, and electric brakes replaced.

Alucke
Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #5

Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
The tires are almost worn out, either the bearings and or electric brakes are causing drag when towing the trailer. So when getting travel trailer state inspected, I'm gonna just have the tires replaced, bearings repacked or replaced, and electric brakes replaced.

Alucke
If you can find a qualified shop, get the trailer's alignment checked, too. Misalignment can also cause excessive tire wear.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Tires

The most likely issue to cause tire wear is alignment and or under or over inflation. If a bearing or brake issue, it would most likely cause extreme heat issues. I make a habit to touch the hubs at every fuel stop to insure there is no brake or bearing issues.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

My trailer is a 2012, whom ever had it before me, changed the tires once before. But I have no idea how long ago. And the tires are down to the fed minimum tread depth of 4/32 for trailers. And I have no idea if the brakes or bearings have ever been changed either.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
ARLO

We have been towing trailers for 48 years and never needed brakes replaced tires and bearings packed every 2 or 3 years and had to replace bearings once.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

To echo what others have stated...... been towing since 1976 . Warn tires can be alignment OR if you have specific tires with flat spots, it could be a seal issue. Grease getting onto the drum and causing lockup under a heavy brake application. I service mine every spring and have probably replaced 6 bearings in the past 5 seasons or so. If they show any heat coloration whatsoever, they get replaced. Brakes seem to run for ever. We pull in the west coast mountains with gas( no engine brake) but still have never replaced brake shoes because of wear. I rotate tires every spring and get about 25000 miles on tires before I choose to replace them. Last two sets have been Goodyear and I like them a lot. When we are long hauling, I check tire pressure twice a week. Have never used TPMS . FYI, we pull a 28RKS Wildcat, 8000lb dry with a F150 with a 6 spd, 6.2L Towmax package.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

Do RV service centers have the equipment to check the alignment of 2 axle travel trailers, or do I have to go elsewhere for that? And as for the brakes or bearings, I'll have the service tech check them to see if bearings and or brakes need replacing. As for the tires, I didn't see any flat spots, but they were under inflated a few months ago when I moved the trailer to a more secure storage facility. I check the tread depth with tread depth Gage and all 4 tires were at 4/32 left. This our first time we are actually able get the trailer done, since my cancer free status, this past December. I am just trying get this all done before my possible Texas trip for family reunion. I really to appreciate all the input. Thank you.

alucke
Old 04-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #11

Congratulations on your diagnosis! Have a great trip and reunion.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #12

Congratulations on your Cancer Free Status. I wish you the best of luck along with happy & safe travels.

I wish I started camping earlier in life
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #13

Few RV dealers have alignment equipment on site … costs lotsa dough and would require additional training for an employee(s). Many have a certain alignment shop they use and just stack on their fee to make the appointment. Check around for a truck and trailer service center in your area … no middle man this way. Don't bother with car alignment shops … most all just don't have the accommodations to do trailers. We have 2-3 shops in the Wichita area that tweek trailer axles. I've use one in particular twice in the past. Going rate for tandem axles out here is $150-$175. All you do is drop it off at the shop.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #14

Thank you, and I plan on having many more camping trips.

alucke
Old 04-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #15

Quote:
I am going to get my 2012 Cherokee grey wolf 28bhks inspected, getting the bearings, electric brakes and tires replaced on may 3rd. I was wondering, how long do new bearings, electric brakes, and tires will last, if I am only going to use the trailer about 4 or 5 times this season?

alucke
My 2017 wolfpack " 25 Pack 12 " went in last spring for one year check up
with the dealer..With ten thousand miles on it. They redid the brakes aaand bearings...all I paid for was a new custom flip out stairwell ! Now Im settin up to put the Castle Rock china bomb tires in the trash..Put Truck tires on and do bearings again ! Im just keepin up a habit of New tires ...do the bearings
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:

Alucke
Everyone seems to be ignoring your statement that something is CAUSING DRAG.

That makes me wonder about your brake control setting. Is the brake controller causing constant drag ??

Are you getting voltage leaking past the emergency brake switch?

One or all brakes dragging should be readily obvious by driving a while and then immediately checking drum/wheel temp with laser thermometer. I think I paid $24 for mine years ago at harbor freight. Trailer wheel temp at take off and again in half an hour can tell you alot. Drive wheels on TV will be warmest. Trailer and non drive wheels on TV will be notably less warm. Difference between trailer wheels can help find a problem wheel. Allignment issues will usually create visible, uneven ture wear.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #17

Note
My rv mentor often reminds me DON'T REPLACE IT IF IT AIN'T WORN OUT OR BROKEN. He says if you just replace stuff cause it not new anymore, or because some salesman/tech wants to sell you stuff, you will spend twice the price of a new one and still just have an OLD COACH.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Everyone seems to be ignoring your statement that something is CAUSING DRAG.

That makes me wonder about your brake control setting. Is the brake controller causing constant drag ??

Are you getting voltage leaking past the emergency brake switch?

One or all brakes dragging should be readily obvious by driving a while and then immediately checking drum/wheel temp with laser thermometer. I think I paid $24 for mine years ago at harbor freight. Trailer wheel temp at take off and again in half an hour can tell you alot. Drive wheels on TV will be warmest. Trailer and non drive wheels on TV will be notably less warm. Difference between trailer wheels can help find a problem wheel. Allignment issues will usually create visible, uneven ture wear.
That makes me wonder, I just checked my trailer brake gain in the truck. It is set at 8.0. I never set or touched the gain settings on the trailer brake controller in my truck. Is 8.0 to much gain? May I ask how to set the proper trailer brake gain?
AluckeClick image for larger version

Name:	1555354002678.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	201811

Tags
bearings, brakes, electric, tire, tires