Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Best dualie tire valve extension?

Great 2015 post by Sagecoachdriver, but I'd like to update the question with some more detail. I purchased a used F-350 with dualies, and I find I can't get to the inner valve stem. There are a lot of different valve stem extensions, what have people found most useful? There are angled short ones that would still require a longer fill wand than is usually found at fill stations, there are long flexible ones - some clamp on the outer wheel, but some don't and seem like they'd flop around without a clamp. And, there are some solid extensions without a clamp, where the centrifugal force would seem to cause failure over time - the extensions Sagecoachdriver mentions from Borg appear to be this type, although if they can be bent to align with a clamp, I'd think they'd be the best solution.

I'm having new tires installed (that's a big bullet to bite!) so I'd like to have the wheels balanced with the extensions in place, since they all appear to weigh even more than normal wheel weights and I have to believe their weight would make a difference in the balance. Do people find that to be true?

What are people finding today to be the best solution for dualie valve extensions?
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Short valve extensions.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	214686   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve extensions.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	214687   Click image for larger version

Name:	long flex extension.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	214688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solid valve extension.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	214689  
JeffPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
NXR

Can't answer your question however keep in mind that an extension will put a lot of stress on the valve stem itself due to the rotational velocity of the tire and the lever action of the weight of the extension. A much better solution is a solid long valve stem with some kind of grommet or support bracket fastening it to the outer wheel. People seem to really like the Borg Dually Valve.

FWIW,

Ray

Tags
tire, valve