Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #1

Best recommended Tire Chains for TT & TV

Have been following different threads about traveling out West which we hope maybe next year a wander that way. I understand that most of the Western States call for carrying chains when crossing the mountains.

I don't have any at this time, but plan on buying some for my TV and 5er. What I am looking for is what brand/style do you carry and/or recommend that are easily put on in an emergency, are top quality and are ones that would not necessarily break the bank.

Thanks and safe travels -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #2

For my TV I have a set of these;

Good forward traction and lateral stability.

For trailer i have a set of cable chains. Trailer only gets chains when descending from mountains and they act act as drag chains so trailer stays behind rather than trying to race ahead.

Be advised, Whitestar chains aren't cheap. ~$80+ But cheap chains are the last thing you want if you get caught in snow.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:57 AM   #3

If you have 4 wheel drive do you put chains on the front?
Old 09-21-2021, 05:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Start with rear. In really bad conditions second set on front.
But if it's that bad you shouldn't be towing.

I have "ambulance" chains for rear and lighter chains such as those TitanMike shows for front. Ambulance chains have small bars welded onto the chain links in the center of the tread.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Check your owner's manual for proper tire chain placement. It will tell you what to do (including in the trailering/towing section). On 4WD vehicles when in 4WD you typically chain the front wheels of the TV (something about damaging the transfer case). It differs from maker to maker.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Generally not. If one needs to chain all four wheels on a 4WD vehicle you should have avoided going into the snow in the first place

Old 09-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Generally not. If one needs to chain all four wheels on a 4WD vehicle you should have avoided going into the snow in the first place
During hunting season back roads i always chain up all 4 . beats having to chain up after getting stuck . as far as hwy 4 wheel drive with good tires do not require chains when chain laws in effect .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Have been following different threads about traveling out West which we hope maybe next year a wander that way. I understand that most of the Western States call for carrying chains when crossing the mountains.

I don't have any at this time, but plan on buying some for my TV and 5er. What I am looking for is what brand/style do you carry and/or recommend that are easily put on in an emergency, are top quality and are ones that would not necessarily break the bank.

Thanks and safe travels -
Chain laws are in effect during certain months . in Colorado i believe Nov through may . but could be wrong as you don't need chains for 4x4 with good tires . IF towing then chains would be prudent during a snow storm where roads are packed . you don't need to carry chains if your not commercial but do need to have them if a storm is going on . best thing would be to wait out the storm a day or 2 and roads will be clear
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Chain laws are in effect during certain months . in Colorado i believe Nov through may . but could be wrong as you don't need chains for 4x4 with good tires . IF towing then chains would be prudent during a snow storm where roads are packed . you don't need to carry chains if your not commercial but do need to have them if a storm is going on . best thing would be to wait out the storm a day or 2 and roads will be clear
In our state you don't need to have chains if your 4X4 has M&S or A/S tires (in good shape) installed. If you are towing it won't matter. Be prepared to chain up.

BTW, more than just carrying chains it's a good idea to have a tarp, some suitable gloves, weather proof clothes, and hat. Nobody ever gets to chain up in warm, dry, areas unless at home in your garage/barn.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #10

Mr M and Titan Mike are pretty close with the tire chains not required on 4x4 in snow, but some states require the tires have the snow flake or mountain snow logos on the tire to allow passage without chaining up - and in most cases you must have tire chains available in the vehicle at any rate. Titan Mike's chains hold up real well over longer distances as with all chains at slower speeds. Too much speed and they all come apart and start tearing things up. Be safe.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire