Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #21
Sunseeker 3010DS

I TOTALLY AGREE FILE A REPORT WITH THE NHTSA. As for the fix Lippert came up with, I believe is the absolute minimum and in my humble opinion not satisfactory. The entire frame is built too light and look to be some inferior steel. We plan to stiffen the frame front to rear add heaver plating and box Iron at the axles area and replace the axles and leaf spring suspension with 2, 7000 lb torsion bar axles and suspension. I figure the repair will cost about $2,200 in parts and steel. we will do the work ourselves. but I would est about $1,000 in labor not a cheep fix but that will give the trailer a resale value. At this time anyone with a Lippert frame under the trailer couldn't give it away. unless they have no morals and find some unsuspecting victim.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #22
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post
I TOTALLY AGREE FILE A REPORT WITH THE NHTSA. As for the fix Lippert came up with, I believe is the absolute minimum and in my humble opinion not satisfactory. The entire frame is built too light and look to be some inferior steel. We plan to stiffen the frame front to rear add heaver plating and box Iron at the axles area and replace the axles and leaf spring suspension with 2, 7000 lb torsion bar axles and suspension. I figure the repair will cost about $2,200 in parts and steel. we will do the work ourselves. but I would est about $1,000 in labor not a cheep fix but that will give the trailer a resale value. At this time anyone with a Lippert frame under the trailer couldn't give it away. unless they have no morals and find some unsuspecting victim.
You may be hard pressed to find a TT or 5er that doesn't have a Lippert frame under it. I'm sure there are some out there but Lippert has a huge market share. If you know of a brand that doesn't use Lippert frames, please post that info.

My preference is to have torsion axles rather than leaf springs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #23

Quote:
I think you will find that it won't change the resale value at all, might even make it harder to sell. Not many people will want something that has been modified. The only brand of trailer that I am aware of that doesn't have a Lippert frame are the Northwood brands. Doesn't seem like anybody is having a hard time selling a trailer with a Lippert frame and I haven't seen anyone trying to give one away.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #24
Sunseeker 3010DS

The fact that Lippert is the largest trailer frame and conponents manufacturer is why they have been able to dodge a houge recall of some of their potentially deadly desighn and substandered workmanship. People need to report the issues of these frames to the NHTSA so this issue does not result in serios injury or worse to any one. I hope you don't own one of these defective frames. But the fact that you are defending Lippert is a little confusing to me. We will do the necessary repairs for the safety of my family and the driving public and their families.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My preference is to have torsion axles rather than leaf springs.
And they have a similar issue with torsion axles where they mount to the frame and have a fix for that issue as well.

As far as I am concerned, the worst thing you can have is a spread axle be it leaf springs or torsion. Put's way too much torque on suspension mounting to the frame.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
Sunseeker 3010DS

Yep, I agree side loading is the issue with these Lippert junk frames. We are working on a disign that will hold up to those forces. Too bad Lippert didn't do it right. The more we look into this mess it appears Lippert is void of quality control as well. The welding is attroshis throughout the frame.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Yep, I agree side loading is the issue with these Lippert junk frames. We are working on a disign that will hold up to those forces. Too bad Lippert didn't do it right. The more we look into this mess it appears Lippert is void of quality control as well. The welding is attroshis throughout the frame.
I've got a friend with a Coachman Apex trailer who happens to be a certified welder. We camp together a lot so we are going to look at stiffening the frames as well. Even the Lippert suggestion on the LIP Sheet - 0135 isn't a bad start. I just want it welded right.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote