Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Blow Out

We checked the air in all our tires. Did a visual inspection front an back. Used a Tire Minder and checked it often. Used a digital thermometer every time we stopped on tires and brake drum. Drove seventy MPH. Ten miles to our exit on I65 south and BOOM. The tire exploded with no warning. We nearly went over. Fortunately we got to side of interstate and had all the tools to change the tire and finish our journey. The fender skirt was shredded and the tire was destroyed. Having said all this, that's why they are called China Bombs.
PS. The tires were only 3 years old with approximately 6000 miles.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

[QUOTE=martinto;2219620]Not sure this applies to your occurance, but could contribute. I just changed out my China tires after 3 years and about 15,000 miles. One tire came apart just sitting in storage. I replaced all with Goodyear Endurance a few months ago.

I went cross country in 2016 and pretty much ran 65 or so. Did hit 70+ in some passing situations.[/

From a site on RV Tires: While it is possible to buy Special Trailer (ST) tires with a tire speed rating of 80+ MPH, some ST tires put on travel trailers and RV fifth wheels by manufacturers have a maximum tire speed rating of just 65 MPH. Maximum Speed Rating, Maximum Tire Pressure, and Maximum Load Rating.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

The problem I see is that they put on tires barely rated for the load, especially for RVs the size of yours. And of course, they use the cheapest.
You can be as diligent as you appear to have been, and still have problems.
Upgrade to a 14 ply load range G and stop worrying about blowouts.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #5
Fla5er

By looking at your picture, I see that you have a 5-er. We also have a 5-er, but keep our speed between 60-65 mph. Pulling that kind of weight with a pick up requires a bit more caution no matter what brand tire you may have. When the tail wags the dog due to a blow out, it could ruin your weekend.

We have Goodyear Endurance tires with approx. 8,000 miles on them. Very pleased with them.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Doesn't the tire minder alert you for a low pressure or sudden pressure loss?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #7

Glad to hear your experience only involved property damage and that you weren't involved in anything more serious. After one season on the stock tires which came with our camper, I noticed that the sidewalls were covered with all kinds of cracking and dry rot. And they had been well cared for. I replaced them with the Endurance and have been EXTREMELY happy. For what it's worth, I liked that they not only had additional payload capability, but increased speed rating. As was mentioned above, the ones which came with my camper were barely rated for the weight of my unit.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

Many trailer tires are only rated for 65 MPH. 70 mph on China tires was probably asking for trouble.

Also if they were 5 years old they were nearing the end of their service life. If your unit is a 2016 your tires may have been made in 2015, unless you have changed them, or have a different model.

Glad no one was hurt.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #9

If you go from E rated to G rated, you will probably need to change wheels as well. Most are rated at 100 psi max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The problem I see is that they put on tires barely rated for the load, especially for RVs the size of yours. And of course, they use the cheapest.
You can be as diligent as you appear to have been, and still have problems.
Upgrade to a 14 ply load range G and stop worrying about blowouts.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Not really. I run my G load range at 85psi and have more capacity and much improved overall handling.
But you do need to ensure you have good metal valve stems rated for the higher psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
If you go from E rated to G rated, you will probably need to change wheels as well. Most are rated at 100 psi max.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote