Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Brake issues

Hi all,
I have a 2019 Surveyor 200MBLE that we have been really happy with. Took it from the Maryland up to the Canadian Rockies down through Glacier to Denver. Trailer is in Denver having some relatively minor warranty work being done.
In total, about 7,000 miles on the trailer. Seemed like a good time and convenient to have the bearings repacked, so had the RV shop do that. Well, seems I need new brake backing plates, drums and seals - total cost of $725. I insisted this was a manufacturer issue and had them put in a warranty claim. Would you be surprised to hear Surveyor / Forest River denied the claim?
From mechanics I’ve spoken with, this isn’t a routine maintenance item. Has anyone had any success or advice about taking the manufacturer (surveyor) to small claims court? I’ll go back to Surveyor, but I am not hopeful given what I’ve read on the forum.
Thanks for any advice / other options.
WSW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #2

What were the defects brakes and drums?
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtci2006 View Post
What were the defects brakes and drums?
X2 that, and do you have pictures of the defect?
Did the technician state in writing that it was a mfg. defect?

Also, you should be talking to the axle mfg. and not Surveyor. But I doubt that the outcome is any different unless you can prove a defect and not damage.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Coach

Wear items on brakes are pretty difficult to get warrantied in the automotive world let alone on an RV. I agree that these are not "routine" maintenance items, but they are maintenance items and how do you prove defect over brakes being continually overheated? I'm not trying to blame your driving here, I'm just thinking that the manufacturer likely will and you would have to prove otherwise. Another option could be to try talking with Dexter or whoever your axle manufacturer is. Maybe you'll have better luck with the supplier. I don't think I would hold much hope of being reimbursed for that one though.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

As others, I would want to know exactly what was the problem. And I would insist on seeing the problem myself, before any work was done. Being that new, I can see one brake having a defect or problem, but all four?
7000 miles is nothing. I just replaced my brakes (complete assemblies) after 8 years and many more miles (I don't keep track).
Let us know what the problem is, and what caused it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #6

All four worn out about equal tells me the trailer brakes are doing most of the work
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You are getting some good feedback here.

You never mentioned brake lining but said brake backing plates drums and seals.

What is the defect of those components?
Are they grease soaked?

Now, if you've REALLY worn out the brakes on all four wheels you either have the controller set incorrectly, you use too much trailer brake or something is adjusted incorrectly. All this wouldn't necessarily require replacement of the backing plates drums and seals

I HOPE the shop isn't whacking you over the head for repairs not needed but I'd go have a look myself to be sure.

7000 miles on R/V brakes is nothing. I've run three times that and still had over 50% lining.

We need more accurate information and maybe some photos to give better advice.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
D W

Hard to fathom or give an opinion without detailed pics of the brakes & drums, but something doesn't sound right here.

Was any deficiency noted in the braking system prior to going into the shop?

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #9

All of the above posters are correct, what's the problem, worn out shoes? We need pics, I can tell you that being in automotive my entire life brake parts are a wear item and not warranted, so we need some pics or documentation to see what you have, sorry
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #10

Thanks very much all for the feedback.
The trailer is in Denver, I’m in Baltimore, so not able to inspect or take pictures until next week. I’ll post some once I have them.
I did tell them to give me the original defective parts.
They said the backing plates had some «*cracking*».
No mention of grease or excessive wear on pads. Although they did say one tire is worn every couple of inches.
I’m a newbie, so had the brake controller set at 5.0 ( out of 10) plus or minus 0.5 - the way it was installed by the dealer. Sounds like there should have been so fine tuning of the controller or instructions to me how to set the brake controller to make sure the Trailer brakes weren’t overworked.
WSW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW2020 View Post
Thanks very much all for the feedback.
The trailer is in Denver, I’m in Baltimore, so not able to inspect or take pictures until next week. I’ll post some once I have them.
I did tell them to give me the original defective parts.
They said the backing plates had some «*cracking*».
No mention of grease or excessive wear on pads. Although they did say one tire is worn every couple of inches.
I’m a newbie, so had the brake controller set at 5.0 ( out of 10) plus or minus 0.5 - the way it was installed by the dealer. Sounds like there should have been so fine tuning of the controller or instructions to me how to set the brake controller to make sure the Trailer brakes weren’t overworked.
if the backing plates are cracked i would assume its from too much heat which seems to be too much trailer brake from your controller or shoe adjustment is way too tight, there are allot of ways to figure out whats going on, if you have a temp gun us it on your next trip and check each wheel for extreme temperature (compare too another wheel) which will tell you its very hot, the plates should not crack unless stressed some how as in mounting or heat, check the shoes and see if they are cracked also, way too much heat, google trailer brake control adjustment and see if your applying too much to the trailer, on my rig i use 7-8 on the highway and 4-5 in town but my rig and truck is different, good luck
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote