Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Brake noise??

Okay. I have a new Roo 23SS trailer with about 1400 miles on it. The dealer is 2.5 hours away. On the last trip out when going through a town with buildings near the road when I applied the brakes I heard a "scraping sound" it didn't sound like metal on metal. The trailer has "Nev-r-adjust" brakes. When I got home jacked up and rotated the tires. All tires rotate freely with just a light scraping sound (no sound of loose parts rolling around in drums). Also I checked the drums when I got home and they were very warm but not hot. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Is this something to worry about? Should I pull hubs and check linings?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #2

Davylee--I'm not familiar with the "Nev-r-adjust" brakes, actually never heard of them. But--I have been around electric trailer brakes for over 30 years and I have never seen a set that did not "talk back" to me. I've heard all types of "scraping" sounds when going through towns where the buildings are near the road much as you described. I've heard trailer brakes make what sounds like tunes, or maybe out of tunes when applied. I have an 18 foot cargo trailer with a heavy load right now that makes a slight "scratchy" sound when the brakes are first applied. But when they get warmed up the sound goes away and the brakes actually work better. My 30 foot camper will make the "tunes" only when I'm backing it up. I've had people ask me "what song was that your brakes were playing"? I'm not saying to not have them checked. I'm saying that I believe all electric trailer brakes will make some type(s) of noises. You state that the tires rotate freely and that's a good sign, the brakes are not static adjusted too tight. Having the drums feel warm after you have been on the road is normal, feeling way to hot to put your hand on them would indicate a problem. I wouldn't pull the hubs to check the linings at this point. Is there a competent auto garage in your town? Go ask them about bringing the camper there and have them listen to the brakes and give you an opinion.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Okay. That makes sense. I haven't been through a town where the buildings were close to the road since I got the trailer. Otherwise I do not hear the brakes. Thanks for you advice.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #4

Keep in mind you do have a metallic magnet dragging on the inner wall of the drum, as well as the shoes on the on the drum. Maybe this is the noise you heard.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes