Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #1

Brake wiring at front axle

The wiring at the left front axle of our 27RK Wildcat has been torn lose from the chassie wiring where it ends and the leads from the electric brake at that axle hook into. At that point there are two two wire leads coming down from the frame. Each one of those wires dead ind into a solid connector and one each of the two single wires from the brake pluged into each one of the connectors. Problem is the brake wiring can't just be pluged back in. My question is can I cut off those plug connectors and use something else to reconnect and make it work?
It looks like the paired wires from above have to be seperated as the break wire was pluged into the middle of the plug and the paired wires are at either en of each plug.-------Hope this make some sense.
Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you post pictures of the connectors?

As for as brake wires go they normally use water resistant insulation displacement connectors like shown below. You can remove those connectors and use other ways to connect the wires together. You just need to make sure it's water resistant.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

That's what it looks like. Each house wire is split into each side of the top of one of those displacement connectors and a brake wire goes into the bottom center of the connector.
Does that blue cap pop off to replace the bottom brake wire or should I find new displacement connectors and wack the old stuff off and start over?
I don't understand how a pair of wires can connect to a single wire. Could it be that only one of the wires from the house is actually hooked up in the displacement connector?
And thanks for your quick response. This has been puzzling me for a couple of days.

*I just looked these up. It answered all of my questions. I'll get some new ones and pop off the old ones. You've been very helpful, Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauler View Post
I don't understand how a pair of wires can connect to a single wire. Could it be that only one of the wires from the house is actually hooked up in the displacement connector?
And thanks for your quick response. This has been puzzling me for a couple of days.

*I just looked these up. It answered all of my questions. I'll get some new ones and pop off the old ones. You've been very helpful, Thanks
The second wire could go to the other axles brakes. They gang them together at the front axle and route the wiring to the rear axle.

I'm glad you figured out the connectors. They're basically throw away once they've been used.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #5

Your very helpful picture along with a name gave me the info to find a video about them. Once I saw that I recognized what they were. I've used a lot of that type of connecter but never self sealing ones or that particular shape.
Again, thanks for the help. I will get those Monday when my rv center opens.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauler View Post
Again, thanks for the help. I will get those Monday when my rv center opens.
You can get similar connectors at most big box, landscape and electrical supply stores. Probably at a better price.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #7

I got them from my local NAPA store. $1.69 each. Crazy prices on these, Amazon is 9 bucks for a bag of 25 but the shipping is almost as much as the product. eBay, 6 to 8 bucks each!
Anyway its great to be back on this forum again. I also belong to an Apache popup forum which has been extremely helpful in rebuilding my old 1976 Apache Royal. We would be lost without these tyeps of forums.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #8

Had to wait a couple of days for the parts to come in. Went back together easy peasy. All is good with the brakes.
Thanks for all of the help.

Tags
axle, brake wiring, wiring