Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #1

Question Brakes locking up

Took my new 2021 FBS Geo Pro on its first trip from home in Kentucky to Northern Michigan. It was 500 miles each way. Everything was fine on the trip north. I kept my speed between 60-65. I tow with a 2019 Ridgeline AWD.

When I started my trip home after only 20 miles I noticed the TPMS showing very high temp rise to 140 degrees and going higher on my drive side trailer tire. I also heard the brakes starting to squeak. I got to a safe location and jackup up the trailer on the driver side and noticed the tire was almost locked tight and didn't turn. I freaked out a bit since I know there was no way I was going home with the brake locked up. Since the RV was new I thought I would call to have a road side service attendant check it out and fix it. -- well that didn't go well. I called the Forest River Service roadside assistance line and they were helpful but the closest mechanic was 100 miles away and was going to charge $650 just for the travel to my site. To keep this simple I'll save that story for another day. Back to the breaks.

Growing up in the late sixties and early seventies I made a lot of repairs on my cars. I remembered that drum brakes can be adjusted so I crawled under the RV (Thank God for the clearance on the GEO Pro) and saw that they could be adjusted, so I got out two screw drivers and made the adjustment. It worked perfect and I adjusted both tires to where I thought was good for proper function. Everything was fine on the return trip with no further issues.

So here is my question. Why would the brakes go out of adjustment so drastically after only 500 miles? Could this be an indication of more trouble to come? I would also like to explore more about how the warranty and roadside service works. I think that experience was worse than the brake locking up.
gracieky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #2

Are they self adjusting? All wheels give you trouble?
Old 08-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #3

Back in the day, drum brakes adjusted automatically when backing up and applying brakes. Are the brakes on your trailer automatic adjusting and if so did you apply them while backing up? Could this be the explanation for the dragging brakes?
Good thing you knew how to open up the clearance between the shoes and drums.
Good thing you caught the temperature rise, you might consider repacking the wheel bearing grease in the drum that ran hot.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieky View Post
Growing up in the late sixties and early seventies I made a lot of repairs on my cars. I remembered that drum brakes can be adjusted so I crawled under the RV (Thank God for the clearance on the GEO Pro) and saw that they could be adjusted, so I got out two screw drivers and made the adjustment. It worked perfect and I adjusted both tires to where I thought was good for proper function. Everything was fine on the return trip with no further issues.

So here is my question. Why would the brakes go out of adjustment so drastically after only 500 miles?
Could this be an indication of more trouble to come? I would also like to explore more about how the warranty and roadside service works. I think that experience was worse than the brake locking up.

I would remove the drum ASAP and inspect the brakes. Some possible causes:

Spring broken or disconnected

Brake shoes sticking to backing plate where there is metal to metal contact (edges of shoes)

Broken or damaged actuator cam.

If brake shoes don't fully retract after applied they WILL drag. Springs and lack of lube at backing plate is largest cause.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

I think that they would have been self adjusting. I did try backing up and hitting them hard to set them but that didn't work.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #6

Yea, I think it is worth removing and checking and then repacking the bearings. But the trailer is only a few months old and I am afraid if I open it up I may void any warranties. I better call the dealer - if I can get thought to them!
Old 08-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Yea, I think it is worth removing and checking and then repacking the bearings. But the trailer is only a few months old and I am afraid if I open it up I may void any warranties. I better call the dealer - if I can get thought to them!
The brakes aren't "sealed" and if you remove and reinstall hubs/drums properly no warranties will be voided.

Take lots of pictures as you progress. That way if you do find a problem it is documented.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #8

Thanks for update!
Old 08-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #9

Modern trailer self adjusting brakes such as Dexter's Never-R-Adjust brakes adjust in both the forward and backward directions, FYI. But, they will only adjust in the "tighten" direction. They will not adjust in the "loosen" direction.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
If you take it in you may wind up waiting for weeks/months waiting for any warranty work to be completed...

If you can work on the wheel then do it or take it to a regular mechanic shop... nothing special about those brakes...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #11

Take it back where you bought it, also complain about the worthless roadside assistance. I anyone has to pay for travel they might as well not even offer that service, it's worthless
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If you take it in you may wind up waiting for weeks/months waiting for any warranty work to be completed...

If you can work on the wheel then do it or take it to a regular mechanic shop... nothing special about those brakes...
What he said- especially about loosing use of your new trailer while you wait for them to tell you the brakes are fine.....
Oh yeah--
Welcome to FRF!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, brakes