Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #1

Broken Stabilizer Jacks

Made my first rookie mistake in forgetting to raise the rear manual stabilizer jacks before raising the front to hitch to our Jeep. The stabilizer legs will still crank up, but not remain. They don't fall all the way to the ground, but will not remain up. Have an appointment to get them looked at, but figured I'd ask here if anyone may have insight as to what happened. Possibly broken shear pins, as there is no bends or breaks on the actual stabilizer legs and they will still crank upward?

Any insight is appreciated!
MOKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:03 PM   #2

I would look and examine for the obvious.

My guess. The metal holding the jacks is likely bent up.

Using a big adjustable wrench and hammer you might be able to straighten out what is bent.

Maybe not. Simple ones are not real expensive. The fancy ones can get expensive.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:21 PM   #3

We made that rookie mistake on the tt we had at the time.
Ended up replacing them because they weren't that expensive and were fairly easy to replace. Of course, ours were bent.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKev View Post
Made my first rookie mistake in forgetting to raise the rear manual stabilizer jacks before raising the front to hitch to our Jeep. The stabilizer legs will still crank up, but not remain. They don't fall all the way to the ground, but will not remain up. Have an appointment to get them looked at, but figured I'd ask here if anyone may have insight as to what happened. Possibly broken shear pins, as there is no bends or breaks on the actual stabilizer legs and they will still crank upward?

Probably just bent the sheet metal where they are attached. Look carefully and use a big adjustable wrench to "adjust the bent metal". Oh, you will likely get your hands and shirt dirty from lying on the ground to examine and correct the issue.

The ones on our previous trailer got bent as we backed over a high curb. So with a 14" adjustable wrench, and on my back on the ground, I "adjusted" the bent metal. Problem solved and they worked correctly until we sold the trailer some 4 years later.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:39 PM   #5

SOP

Last step before departure.

The captain asks the DW to turn the emergency flashers on.

The captain does a walk around to pick up the chocks. check the lights and make sure the stabilizers are off.

The DW and I each have departure jobs. It is best not to talk to anyone while preparing to leave or park. We all have a mental checklist to follow. Interruptions can be costly.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
SOP

Last step before departure.

The captain asks the DW to turn the emergency flashers on.

The captain does a walk around to pick up the chocks. check the lights and make sure the stabilizers are off.

The DW and I each have departure jobs. It is best not to talk to anyone while preparing to leave or park. We all have a mental checklist to follow. Interruptions can be costly.
Although the wife is always along, I always single-hand the arrival and departure. I have a written checklist that is religiously followed. Just remember GOAL. Get Out And Look Being cool and backing into the power pedestal or water faucet is not a point gainer in anybody's rule book.

If something is broken, left behind, or otherwise, the only person to blame is the same person seen in the mirror.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 03:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Running Gear/Axles/Brakes/Tires and Frames sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to that sub-forum and not general questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 03:40 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKev View Post

Can you post a photo of the stabilizers YOU have?
They are not all the same and advice on the wrong kind, may have you scratching your head more that you already are. Don't beat yourself up. We've all made mistakes.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:54 AM   #9

Thank you all for the friendly responses! I'll be sure to take a few pictures this evening to post.
MOKev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, stabilizer